Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

27 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

When Mike was out "looking for arrowheads"...if you noticed he found a hand with a wedding band. Could that possibly be the lady's husband?

That is my assumption, that the body was what he was out looking for. And he called it in so she could get closure.

As an aside, I love it when Mike pretends to be an innocent rube. "Oh no, I don't want to leave my name, I was trespassing." Or with Tuco, "Oh no, I didn't hit your car."

What's interesting and mind boggling is that Don Hector didn't hear his pills rattling and you telling me if some one tosses a pill bottle you wouldnt recognize it or hear it whIle reading a newspaper? Granted, the cook had the music on and it was hot since he busted the AC coils. Saul Goodman starts his "lawyering" for criminals or smug sealers lol. 

18 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

When Mike was out "looking for arrowheads"...if you noticed he found a hand with a wedding band. Could that possibly be the lady's husband?

I've heard both that argument and the argument that it was the body of the good Samaritan who stopped to help the stranded truck driver.Hearing of the heartache of Anita at the counseling session over the disappearance of her husband, Mike's conscience gets the better of him .  He decides to make amends for his tangential role in getting the good Samaritan killed.  Didn't Mike, earlier at the meeting with Nacho where they talked about poisoning Hector , say something to Nacho about "I need something else from you"  but we never heard the end of the conversation? That would be the whereabouts of the body of the good Samaritan.

If it was Anita's husband, that would bring in a whole new and different story arc.  It could be interesting, but it seems too coincidental for those plot paths to cross like that.  

Dan, I think you're 100%, dead-on right.

I figured I was missing a part of the conversation where Church Lady said where her husband's car was found, and Mike deduced that the body would be buried nearby.

But that makes no sense. I think what you're saying has to be it.

14 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

That is good points Dan...what if the good samaritan happened to be the husband though? I'm trying to remember her story of what she said happened.

I sort of feel bad about doing this because the speculation is really fun for such a well done show, but with a little googling I found a definitive answer - from show runner Peter Gould - who in this interview says the body is not Anita's husband.  [Interviewer's dialogue in bold]:

There is also a wonderful opening scene with Mike, who has had very little dialogue in several of his most powerful scenes this season, but manages to tell us everything we need to know, of course, because Jonathan Banks is so great. Why did he specifically go to find AnitaÂ’s husband? Was it to give her closure because heÂ’s interested in her?

Gould: Just to be clear, thatÂ’s not AnitaÂ’s husband.

Oh!

Gould: Remember, she said her husband vanished years ago… in [“Expenses”], she says her husband vanished years ago… she’s essentially saying she’s lost this person, and she wants closure because she doesn’t know what happened to the body. Mike is so dripping with guilt at all times, ever since we’ve met him, about his son, about so many things. About the things he did to avenge his son. If Chuck is starting to get to grips a little bit with the damage he’s done in his life, Mike is weighed down by [his damage] and is driven by it almost completely. Mike hears this from this woman, and he thinks to himself about the good Samaritan who died, really, because Mike had this clever idea that he thought would be zero impact, about raiding Hector’s truck. He goes out to make sure that body is found, and that’s what we intended. I know the bread crumbs are scattered, I understand that, but it’s not intended to be Anita’s husband… she says he was lost in a forest, and it was years ago. Mike is not coincidentally meeting the wife of the victim, Hector’s victim. We never know what happened. We had talked about having Anita’s husband be MIA, in the military. We had talked about a lot of possibilities before we landed on the idea of the story as it’s told in that episode.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/better-call-saul-postmortem-peter-gould-michael-mckean-talk-chucks-hope-slippin-jimmy-mikes-dead-body-find-230932703.html

I forgot all about the church lady.

My guess is Nacho gets busted for attempted murder on the Don and Mike refers him to Jimmy(Jimmy hasn't met Nacho yet has he? I'm honestly so bad at remembering this stuff LOL). Thus leading to the "CRIMINAL" lawyer.

The Kim/Howard exchange was outstanding. 

He comes over to her to pretend to make nice (but with hostility) and Kim comes over to make good with an F.U. gesture of her own. Then Howard refuses to take her money in order to pretend to be the better man -- which he isn't. Just wanted a chance to blame her for his misfortunes.

You can tell that Howard isn't a very good attorney. He's the son of the real founder who has connections and looks the part. He exists to schmooze and be window dressing out in front of real attorneys like Kim. 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I was kind of figuring that Chuck was gonna Chuck at some point the minute he gave up

He pushes himself into situation where the negative aspects of his illness can only intensify and then it breaks him. Brutal. BRUTAL.

For being the silver-spoon son of the founder, Hamlin really played his position well. Finding a way to assert what was his, and what he had to to to keep it as his, was brilliant. 

19 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

He pushes himself into situation where the negative aspects of his illness can only intensify and then it breaks him. Brutal. BRUTAL.

For being the silver-spoon son of the founder, Hamlin really played his position well. Finding a way to assert what was his, and what he had to to to keep it as his, was brilliant. 

Howard's evolution in the viewers' eyes has been interesting to watch. The writers really played with our assumptions and expectations about him.  At first he was the ultimate yuppie douchebag, right?  He was the one keeping Jimmy down at the firm, all the way until we learned that it wasn't him, but Chuck.  That's when our thinking about him really started to change.  Then we saw his patience and indulgence with Chuck, giving him support during his crippling mental illness. And we finally see him as the victim of Chuck's betrayal after all he did for his partner.

I see parallels with how the writers let Hank evolve in Breaking Bad.  At first he was just a crude, hyper macho cop, kind of a dick really.   But we saw a much more fully developed character evolve as the series progressed.

You know Howard still has that douchebagness to him like he did withe Kim when she was with Mesa Verde at the restaurant. But I think he handled Chuck fantastically. When he handed the check and walked out and next scene is with the entire firm all out in the hall ready to wish Chuck a farewell I was crackin up laughing. And when Howard gave him that stern look  from the smile and clap and turns around with that straight face...that was savage. Chuck most definitely intensifies his illness and went straight cuckoo for cocoa puffs. That conversation with Jimmy was absolutely brutal and the combination of him not being a lawyer which was all he was about and crapping on his brother forcing an isolaton is what I feel ultimately led him to kick that table over and over. But Saul is about to come in full force..."gonna have to find a new practice when I get my license back..." 

12 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

You know Howard still has that douchebagness to him like he did withe Kim when she was with Mesa Verde at the restaurant.

But Saul is about to come in full force..."gonna have to find a new practice when I get my license back..." 

Howard also banished Kim to the basement in the previous season.

Jimmy's wearing his crackerjack law school sweater in the last episode. I can't remember him wearing that in the past (maybe he has?) but it doesn't seem accidental that he's going to embrace his roots in the future. 

We're getting close, but we're not at 100% Saul yet. He throws away his immediate Sand Piper settlement payday just to make things right for poor Mrs. Landry by keeping that mic turned on when he staged that interruption during "chair yoga." 

The Nacho storyline is going to be fun to follow.  Lots of potential drama boiling up there, and he's become an interesting character to watch.

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

And it just occurred to me... did Mike even appear in the season finale?  I don't think he had a single scene, right?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think he appeared in the finale at all.

Anyways, great episode! I love this show...one of the best on TV currently

That was a great season. The transformation is happening but there is still some semblance of decency left in Jimmy. But now that his brother is dead, I could see him going full on Saul next season. Kim is the last step, she's the last good thing left in his life.

Archived