Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VOX: 1 in 5 millennials thinks vaccines cause autism

Duckus

As a parent of a toddler this is depressing.

"Americans ages 18 to 29 are more likely to oppose mandatory childhood vaccination and say vaccines can cause autism, according to a new survey.

A survey of 1,000 US adults by YouGov, conducted between January 26 and January 28, found 21 percent of young adults believe the long-debunked idea that vaccines cause autism, while just 13 percent of all US adults agree."

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/31/7954725/vaccines-autism-young-adults

I would oppose "mandatory childhood vaccination".  That wording is problematic and I'd oppose it entirely.  I say this as a parent of a toddler that has received all of vaccinations recommended by her doctors.  It would be a deal breaker issue for me as a voter.  

I do not want more government involved in raising more children and frankly I see way too damn much of it already.  I do not want some agency threatening to come take my child away if the time comes where there is a more problematic vaccine, or a bad batch being reported but denied by a corporation seeking to play defense, and I make the choice to wait or avoid it.  That's what that wording seems to imply.  What is true of vaccines today can change, but laws are slow and government authorities can be incompetent, abusive, or just plain stupid but are rarely understanding.

I have no problem with schools/daycares and businesses that provide children services refusing to enroll kids that haven't had their shots. 

We're 'touring' daycare facilities right now. That's a question we bring up. The few places I've been to have all said they only allow unvaccinated children for valid religious reasons (there's a form or paper or something you get if qualifies as a "valid religious reason" or something.) None we've talked to so far have had anyone like that in a long time.

I'm 29. I actually turn 30 in a few weeks. I get lumped into the "millennials" generation and it sucks. I can't stand anything about them. Their music sucks, their sense of entitlement is off the charts, their work ethic is awful, and they take know it all to a whole new level (though I'm quite guilty of this last one as well...)

What I guess I'm really saying is that I'm turning into an old man.

Get off my lawn.

Their music sucks, their sense of entitlement is off the charts, their work ethic is awful

Get off my lawn.

I'm rofl! So true.

We talk all the time about the apocalypse, and what the current "kids" would do without an app to fix everything...no electricity? :huh: (and they won't have the slightest clue that shelter near a fairly clean water source is a great start to rebuilding...)

I can envision a lot of standing around mumbling. :P

We're 'touring' daycare facilities right now. That's a question we bring up. The few places I've been to have all said they only allow unvaccinated children for valid religious reasons (there's a form or paper or something you get if qualifies as a "valid religious reason" or something.) None we've talked to so far have had anyone like that in a long time.

I'm 29. I actually turn 30 in a few weeks. I get lumped into the "millennials" generation and it sucks. I can't stand anything about them. Their music sucks, their sense of entitlement is off the charts, their work ethic is awful, and they take know it all to a whole new level (though I'm quite guilty of this last one as well...)

What I guess I'm really saying is that I'm turning into an old man.

Get off my lawn.

yeah dude, from reading you I thought you were like 50.  ;)  :P

This just in...20% of the public are stupid.

I do/have done a lot of research on the matter and I can assure you the truth is far, far worse. :o  :D

To be fair the title is kind of well not good.

In 1940 you could have 1 in 5 Americans support segregation.

edit 1 in 5 is too little Im sure it was at least 2 out of 5

Im trying to say that people will get better as time goes on. Give it time let a few people die it will change

Not good enough. First off, everyone was on board until some quack doctor and Jenny McCarthy ruined everything! For ****s sake, jenny ****ing McCarthy! Second, people who intend on vaccinating their child, like I do, still have to worry about the "let a few people die" part, all because of a quack, Jenny McCarthy and a bunch of mouth breathing, idiotic people. This isn't just millenials, it's older parents too, people that had their kids when doctor quack first published his "findings".

Every single

generation

of people

has said

EXACTLY

the same stuff

about the

upcoming 

generation 

of people

as the old farts begin their pass into rascal-driving, lawn-shouting, depends-wearing ...

status 

The story remains exactly as true this time as it was every other time this rant was ranted since the dawn of recorded history.

<signed, your neighborhood rascal driving lawn yeller>

Didn't bring it up with daycare (though the two we used both required vaccination proof at enrollment, and it didn't seem like there was much in the way of exemptions).  I did bring it up when we were meeting with pediatricians though.  That was a dealbreaker for us, if they allowed unvaccinated kids to stay in their practice. 

From my limited experience it seems you would have to work pretty hard around here to find a pediatric practice that was willing to keep you as a patient if you refused to vaccinate.

When cars started becoming a steady part of the American landscape, in the cities particularly, they had to stop people from just walking out into the middle of the road. They coined the term "jaywalker" and created an ad campaign that basically mocked people as idiots for jaywalking. 

The same should be done for anti vaxxers. 

Every single

generation

of people

has said

EXACTLY

the same stuff

about the

upcoming

generation

Perhaps they were all partially right? Each generation does change, is that not plainly obvious? I think it is. If change is happening from generation to generation, it also stands to reason that some changes are good, some bad, and most somewhere in between. The previous generations would dislike all of it as humans tend to see their way as ideal.

i think the bigger point is that every generation forgets how much they would've detested themselves (or at least their generation) if they had to look at themselves  young through old people lenses.

It's fairly common for people to look back and laugh at just how stupid they were when they were younger.  It's part of growing up.  

Archived