Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Texas rally by Muslims seeking tolerance disrupted by protesters

Jumbo

Texas & Mooslims in the noose..I mean news, again. 

(thought about putting this in SHF's thread, but decided to go this route)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-rally-by-muslims-seeking-tolerance-disrupted-by-protesters/ar-AA8KdEr

texasmooslimprotesters_zps6e80d728.jpg

A rally at the Texas Capitol on Thursday by Muslims seeking religious tolerance was repeatedly disrupted by a small group of protesters who said the state belonged to followers of Jesus Christ and that Muslims should go back to the Middle East.

During opening remarks at the Texas Muslim Capitol Day event, a Christian activist from Michigan grabbed the microphone from the speaker and said: "I proclaim the name of the Lord Jesus Christ over the capitol of Texas. I stand against Islam."

A group of people who described themselves as Christian activists also heckled the group of about 600 who showed up for the rally. The protesters shouted as the Muslim group sang the national anthem and then tried to interrupt speakers calling for religious tolerance.

Some of the protesters shouted: "Go home. You ain't going to be happy here."

There are about half a million Muslims in Texas, according to some estimates, with many being in the state for several generations.

The Texas Department of Public Safety said no arrests were made at the event.

"As soon as I got to the lectern, that woman came and grabbed the microphone out of my hands. It made us feel a little unsafe," said Ruth Nasrullah, a spokeswoman for the Houston branch of the Council of American-Islamic Relations, which helped arrange the event.

<edit>

"This reinforces that rhetoric and propaganda about Muslims is really gaining traction," Nasrullah said.

<edit>

In neighboring Oklahoma, state Representative John Bennett, a Republican, spoke out in January against the Oklahoma chapter of a national Islamic organization, calling on leaders to condemn verses of the Quran.

In September and October, Bennett told media that Islam was a cancer that needed to be "cut out" of America.

<rest of article at link>

Now is the time where the Obama disciples come into this thread and tell everyone this is an outrage

Coming from the other thread where they just got done screaming that michael Moore, bill maher, and Seth rogan are not representitive of the left.

"During opening remarks at the Texas Muslim Capitol Day event, a Christian activist from Michigan grabbed the microphone "

first I thought I'd touch on church/state separation, then decry the need of importing Christians 

but then I decided I'll just be like the guy on the bench and chill....till the shooting starts

"During opening remarks at the Texas Muslim Capitol Day event, a Christian activist from Michigan grabbed the microphone "

first I thought I'd touch on church/state separation, then decry the need of importing Christians 

but then I decided I'll just be like the guy on the bench and chill....till the shooting starts

Well of course they have to import Christians.  There aren't any good Christians in Texas.

(Not sure there is a way to win this one, twa)

Now is the time where the Obama disciples come into this thread and tell everyone this is an outrage

Coming from the other thread where they just got done screaming that michael Moore, bill maher, and Seth rogan are not representitive of the left.

Really sucks, the way "the Obama disciples" go from thread to thread, pointing out actual facts, to people who don't want them.

Do you see any difference between Moore/Maher/Rogan and this elected official? 

edit- my bad, I thought this was SHF's thread from yesterday. Context, it's important.

We have a big thing going on locally to me,, a big construction project.. lots of opposition, lots of protests.

I covered a protest about a month and a half ago.

NONE of them lived anywhere near here. Professional protesters going from cause to cause, trying to 

A/ cause problems where they don't live

B/ be seen so others will pay them to do the same thing.

I'm glad you pointed that out, and I'm also glad that it looks like a rather small crowd of troublemakers.

~Bang

We have a big thing going on locally to me,, a big construction project.. lots of opposition, lots of protests.

I covered a protest about a month and a half ago.

NONE of them lived anywhere near here. Professional protesters going from cause to cause, trying to 

A/ cause problems where they don't live

B/ be seen so others will pay them to do the same thing.

I'm glad you pointed that out, and I'm also glad that it looks like a rather small crowd of troublemakers.

~Bang

Two ways to view it. Small group of troublemakers or passionate advocates. Given what these guys are doing I tend to side with your descriptor.

I probably blame mega churches. 

The woman who grabbed the mic is a some crazy lady who lives out of her car and travels the country protesting Muslims. There were only 25-30 protestors. That part is honestly overblown.

What is really disgusting is Molly White (or as I now call her Molly White Power) - the tea party freshman elected to the TX House Representative. That is the real story. Yesterday she she wrote on her Facebook:

Today is Texas Muslim Capital day [sic] in Austin. The House is in recess until Monday. Most Members including myself are back in District. I did leave an Israeli flag on the reception desk in my office with instructions to staff to ask representatives from the Muslim community to renounce Islamic terrorist groups and publicly announce allegiance to America and our laws. We will see how long they stay in my office.

This is nothing particularly new. The new Lt. Governor boycotted a muslim prayer on the TX Senate floor a few years ago. 

Texas Monthly had a pretty good quote:

When someone says something that sounds awful I think it’s worthwhile to pause before responding, to consider the comment in context and think about any mitigating factors. In this case, White is a true freshman—new to electoral politics, not just the Lege—and there’s bound to be a learning curve. But even a private citizen should know how weird and hostile her Facebook post was. I can only think of two reasons a legislator would ask Muslims to pledge allegiance as a prerequisite for a courtesy call: she thinks they’re intrinsically suspicious, or that there’s enough reflexive anti-Muslim sentiment in right-wing circles that she didn’t give it much thought at all. The latter possibility, that White is a symptom of widespread casual bigotry rather than a cause, can’t be dismissed outright, considering that she swiftly won some cheap praise from the cheap-thrills conservatives

the real outrage:

when are republicans/tea party people going to stand up and declare this as bigotry and unacceptable?

I thought bigotry was a party plank?.......in all the parties 

ain't that why they get together?

Archived