Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME MATT CAVANAUGH AS QUARTERBACKS COACH

TK

For Immediate Release

January 28, 2015

REDSKINS NAME MATT CAVANAUGH AS QUARTERBACKS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Matt Cavanaugh as Quarterbacks Coach.

Cavanaugh joins the Redskins with 22 seasons of coaching experience across the professional and collegiate levels. The 2015 season will mark the 32nd NFL season of Cavanaugh’s career, including 14 combined seasons as a quarterback for the New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants from 1978-91 and 17 seasons as an NFL coach.

Cavanaugh most recently served as quarterbacks coach of the Chicago Bears from 2013-14. In 2013, under Cavanaugh’s tutelage, Chicago’s quarterbacks set single-season team records in passer rating (96.9), passing yards (4,450), passing touchdowns (32) and completion percentage (64.4). Prior to joining the Bears, Cavanaugh spent 2009-12 coaching quarterbacks for the New York Jets, guiding the team to two AFC Championship game appearances.

Cavanaugh’s background includes stints as an offensive coordinator with the Bears (1997-98), Baltimore Ravens (1999-2004) and University of Pittsburgh (2005-08). His tenure in Baltimore included a 34-7 victory over the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV.

Cavanaugh won two Super Bowl titles as a backup quarterback with the Giants (Super Bowl XXV) and 49ers (Super Bowl XIX). He was a second-round selection (50th overall) of the Patriots in 1978 NFL Draft, appearing in 112 career regular season contests with 19 starts and completing 305-of-579 passes for 4,332 yards and 28 touchdowns.

As a collegiate quarterback, Cavanaugh guided Pitt to the 1976 National Championship and was named the Sugar Bowl MVP after a 27-3 victory over Georgia. A year later, he earned All-America honors as a senior in 1977.

A native of Youngstown, Ohio, Cavanaugh attended Chaney H.S. He is married to his wife, Maria, and is the father of three children: Amy, Andrew and Mollie.

CAVANAUGH FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2013-14: Quarterbacks Coach, Chicago Bears

2009-12: Quarterbacks Coach, New York Jets

2005-08: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach, University of Pittsburgh

1999-2004: Offensive Coordinator, Baltimore Ravens

1997-98: Offensive Coordinator, Chicago Bears

1996: Quarterbacks Coach, San Francisco 49ers

1994-95: Quarterbacks Coach, Arizona Cardinals

1993: Tight Ends Coach, University of Pittsburgh

1990-91: Quarterback, New York Giants

1986-89: Quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles

1983-85: Quarterback, San Francisco 49ers

1978-82: Quarterback, New England Patriots

1974-77: Quarterback, University of Pittsburgh

Seems like a solid hire.

Second person to come here from the Bears, no?

I'd imagine that whether it turns out solid or not (and how that's even going to be judged in the long run), we'll hear how it isn't more than it is with bias/agenda in full swing. But maybe, by now, we may not hear that so much.

I add that I'm not one who sees the Redskins primarily through RG3-centric lenses.

Please try not to make more out of that last comment than what it is.  :)

I really think we have some good raw talent at QB.

If Cavanaugh can come in here and coach them up, I'm sure we've got a solid starter in there somewhere.  There have been quite a few flashes of brilliance.  Dare I be hopeful in saying a franchise QB?  I think so!

Welcome to the Redskins!

Roll up your sleeves, you got some work to put in buddy.

HTTR

I feel old when I reflect on the fact that I remember when Matt played.

Face it man, we are old!  I vaguely remember him engineering some good comebacks.  I think it was the same player anyways.  Regardless, seems like a good move and all the pieces for the Coaching Staff are in place.  Just in time to work with Scotty Mac on player evals.  Cavanaugh can be a good buffer between Jay and Robert while also coming in completely objective about all three QB's on the roster.  Or some project that might be available in the draft.

I'm very optimistic about the future with no delusions about the next two years.  However, I can envision a noticeable upward turn of the franchise in closing the gap with the upper echelon in years 3 & 4. 

So thinking he might help Cousins get over the INT virus?

Crap, that would be a big hope. I'd love it. Cousins' seeming melt-down and the muddying of matters with RG3 not "owning the spot" and the ankle injury added so much to the mess. I would love to see if Kirk can rebound as much as I'd love to see RG3 rebound. Another highly pushed narrative told as fact here, that I find much flaw in, is the exaggerated (even unfounded to a great extent) "all 3 qbs have regressed and it's all cuz of jay" stuff. But I haven't been interested in "arguing" that yet, though it's been on my mind and I don't think it's really very hard to argue. However I'm not interested in extending that here or now, so, please, no one needs to reply to this with the same stances I've already read more than a hundred times.

I feel old when I reflect on the fact that I remember when Matt played.

No sympathy here  ;)  :P

I don't know this guy from anyone, but I'm just glad about the hiring of a quarterbacks coach.  I know that EVERY year seems like something is turning around, but this is the first year where I've seen some egos drop.  Bruce and Dan admit that they need a GM, Jay admits that he doesn't have enough time in the day to coach the quarterbacks, Bruce/Jay let Haz go (even if it were Haz's decision, I'm relatively sure that Jay/Bruce could've pushed him to stay), Morris wasn't retained, and so on.

Even if this were a terrible quarterbacks coach, I love that we have one.

Oh, and one more thing thing, this is yet another signing that wasn't highly publicized before it actually happened.  I like that we heard about it when Ashburn wanted us to hear it, not through the grapevine.

Any idea/rumors on who the new DL coach will be?

I want our team to be hard and mean. Even if we lose the other team goes home feeling beaten because we played so damn hard physically. We used to be known for that. Teams dreaded coming to play us, not because we were invincible, but we played hard; with spirit and pride. Our players HATED losing.

We desperately need that back. That was our "identity" that was talked about recently. "The Redskins way" so to speak.

I'd imagine that whether it turns out solid or not (and how that's even going to be judged in the long run), we'll hear how it isn't more than it is with bias/agenda in full swing. But maybe, by now, we may not hear that so much.

I add that I'm not one who sees the Redskins primarily through RG3-centric lenses.

Please try not to make more out of that last comment than what it is. :)

Yah one poster in particular. The narcissistic know it all douchebag we've been talking about

Archived