Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current 'Skins Depth Charts (O/D) with FA's Removed

KDawg

Tevita is listed on our roster. Wasn't sure. Will remove.

As far as Gayle goes, he's one of the guys I never heard of. Will make that correction.

I'm not sure how badly we need a pass rusher on the DL right now. I think we need anchors more, to be honest.

Good news is ... Scot has a blank canvas, because we have nothing. 

Actual Core Redskins to build around:

DJax

Trent 

Breeland

Kerrigan

Way

The rest to me are just guys. Garcon and Morris are certainly good too but we need a talent infusion at RB overall and Garcon is dependent on QB and role. 

The FAs are on it too, though, and I removed them. He's not listed as one of our FAs, but perhaps PS guys aren't? I'll leave him off for now and we'll monitor the situation.

Edit: anyone know what position the two new LBs play? Spitler and Sapp?

That list is awful.  I hope this GM really trims the fat this year while securing some futures.  We do look good in some individual positions though as some stated above talking about the core players to build around.  I'd love to see Scott purge Chris Jester, Porter, Biggers though. How much can we potentially have in cap money if we secure Garcon, Trent, Morris (if reasonable), Kerrigan and trim some of this fat out?  

Looking at a couple of 2015 draft rankings, and figuring a BPA plan, here is a list of the guys ranked in the 4-9 overall range at this point. 

Brandon Scherff  Iowa 6'5" 315 ROT
Amari Cooper     Alabama 6'1" 205 WR
Randy Gregory   Nebraska 6'5" 255 DE
Vic Beasley        Clemson 6'3" 235 34OLB
Shane Ray         Missouri 6'3" 245 DE
Landon Collins   Alabama 6'0" 215 SS

Figuring that both of the big QBs go before 5 we should be able to get one of these guys. Outside of the WR I think any one of these guys could fill a hole for us.

I don't follow college football enough to know if any of these guys would be sexy enough that someone would want to give a nice package of picks to move up and get him.

Understand I did some guesswork on some placing on the depth chart, because honestly, I have no idea who some of these younger additions are :)

I removed all free agents: Unrestricted, Restricted, AND Exclusive Rights.

Looking at this list we have some glaring holes. Safety is a major concern. Top two right now are Phillip Thomas and Akeem Davis. Scary.

Tackle is a trouble spot with Trent Williams and then Morgan Moses.

We only have one "real" center.

We know our talent at guard is underwhelming.

We need to add a quality tight end.

Outside linebacker isn't in terrible shape, but wouldn't hurt to upgrade.

Inside linebacker is actually in a decent place, too, but again, wouldn't hurt to upgrade/push Riley.

Corner depends a lot on Hall, but we could really use a nickel/dime guy who can play 1 or 2 in case of injuries. This need is alleviated by a stronger DL.

Defensive End we definitely need some help.

Nose Tackle is stunningly thin. I'd like for Baker to be a full-time end and significantly upgrade the NT position. (This is, of course, if we stay with a 3-4). Nose has been a glaring need for years and has never been addressed. If we stay 3-4, it's essential.

We're shockingly thin at running back minus Helu and Thompson (Heck, even with them we could use some guys to push for spots. Current guys may keep them, but definitely need competition [We'll add more guys. Not worried here].

We're also shockingly thin at wide receiver. Beyond Jackson, Garcon and Roberts who the heck knows what we have.

This is like a crib notes for the incoming Scot Mac.....good job Coach, it shows just how shallow this roster truly is. 

I think the ideal situation would be to trade back to acquire more picks since it from the list KDawg put together (thx!) there are many holes to fill and additional selections can only help. But what I think is really important is for Scot and the scouts to hit on the first 2-3 picks. Not necessarily saying probowlers but we need some day one starters at several positions. Even standing pat at 5 is ok if we can get a guy to plug n play on either side of the ball. BPA or need based draft, I don't think you can go wrong either way early on since looking at that list, BPA most likely fills a need, of which there are lots!

Looking forward to see how it all goes down! HTTR

Good news is ... Scot has a blank canvas, because we have nothing. 

Actual Core Redskins to build around:

DJax

Trent 

Breeland

Kerrigan

Way

The rest to me are just guys. Garcon and Morris are certainly good too but we need a talent infusion at RB overall and Garcon is dependent on QB and role. 

Agree we need to build around DJax, Trent, Breeland & Kerrigan. Way?? Are we really going build around a punter lol. Don't get me wrong he's an excellent punter and we need to keep him. Just never heard anyone say we need to build around a punter...is that how far we have fallen.

In my opinion we can't really go wrong between Scherrf & Collins with our 5th pick. If Mariota or Winston is still there at #5, then I think we listen to possible suitors for a trade. The more picks we can get the better. We finally have someone that can evaluate talent.

Collins fills a need, sure. So would Scherff. Like I said, I could care less about the position as long as they're the best at that spot ... we need an LG/RT and we need a SS ... 

But I would still prefer that we trade off that pick, since both would be considered reaches. I think a lot of lists have Scherff there at #5 or #6 because he's the "de-facto" top OT and should be slotted there, but in reality I don't think he's the best available either way at #5. Wouldn't HATE the pick but I would prefer a trade back over anything.

Welcome to hell, Mr. McCloughan.  You will have your work cut out for you.

I may be a tough grader, but in my mind, there's really only 4-5 guys on the entire roster that are absolute build around keeper types.  Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan are the top two easily.  I think Breeland and Robinson show a lot of potential at CB and LB.  I like D-Jax, but as has been discussed before, he's a one-dimensional threat who turned 28, gets nicked up occasionally, and is approaching the age where his greatest asset will start to diminish, likely before we're ever able to truly compete.

And of course, I'd keep the punter.  But that's it.  I've lost a chunk of faith in RG3 and there's no other player I can think of that's the right combination of potential and age that I think they're absolute must keeps.  Even Morris I'm a bit concerned about, his YPC has dropped each season and I've seen how Shanahan makes running backs look better than they are.  Our top two receivers are both approaching 30.  Our supposed world beating TE can't stay healthy.  I wouldn't miss anyone on either line beyond silverback.  McCloughan is going to have a hell of a task in front of him.

I don't believe tackle is a great investment for us (unless he's truly BPA) that early. Hear me out. I'm one of the biggest trenches advocates on this forum, but, our interior situation is far worse. We just drafted a tackle (albeit a 3rd rounder) and Tom Comptom JUST got some starting experience on the right side.

Now, where I could see getting a guy like Scherff being a benefit? If Williams decides to leave with no contract, we'll need him. So if there's any doubt there, ignore my first paragraph. There's nothing in the interior that is worth a top 5 pick, pretty much ever, but especially this year.

So that leaves the top grouping of guys as:

QB Marcus Mariotta

QB Jameis Winston

DE/DT Leonard Williams

DE/OLB Randy Gregory

DE/OLB Vic Beasley

DE/OLB Shane Ray

DE/OLB Donte Fowler

WR Amari Cooper

WR DeVante Parker

OT Andrus Peat

OT Brandon Scherf

CB Trae Waynes

S Landon Collins

Right now, knowing I still have a ton of film to watch and combine results to view, I'd put the top guys that might be available at our pick as these guys:

WR Amari Cooper

S Landon Collins

OT Brandon Scherf

OLB Shane Ray

OLB Vic Beasley

I think Mariotta, Winston, Williams and Gregory are gone prior to our selection. Winston may slide due to character, and if that's the case I don't expect to see one of the two OLBs OR Cooper available at 5.

Collins may very well wind up being the BPA there. But it's such a fluid situation. Who the heck knows right now?

Heck you could throw guys like Gordon and Gurley in the mix as TRUE BPAs (they will be) but that puts you back in the RB philosophy question. I don't think the investment is worth drafting a RB that high, no matter how special. What has Minnesota won with Peterson? And that's a lot of money to re-up an elite tier/special RB when their rookie deal is up. How much of your cap do you want dedicated to RB? A position that takes a major beating? But I can see why people are talking about those guys. They are very special players. For sure.

Picking a safety high is such a waste of a pick if you can't generate pressure out of your DL.  The Ravens are in the playoffs with some in the secondary that were bagging groceries.

Does that matter if you're going with a BPA approach? I don't know the answer. is a safety as taboo as a running back? Or did we just get burned by Landry and gun shy?

If we're truly picking BPA, then you have to pick BPA. But if we're not considering RBs, then it's not really a true BPA, it's a value BPA. 

The NFL Draft is such a strange animal.

Then again, if Winston falls to 5, he's probably the BPA and not Collins. 

Best case scenario there is a big time trade back. But what kind of offers are you going to get for a guy who struggles off-the-field? Only the NFL GMs know that answer.

I don't believe tackle is a great investment for us (unless he's truly BPA) that early. Hear me out. I'm one of the biggest trenches advocates on this forum, but, our interior situation is far worse. We just drafted a tackle (albeit a 3rd rounder) and Tom Comptom JUST got some starting experience on the right side.

the problem with Moses is he suffered a lisfranc injury and given the time those take to heal he'll probably miss all of training camp.  So he either comes in next year with no camp, or starts the year on PUP and we haven't done anything with RT because we've got a guy who'll be there... eventually

the problem with Moses is he suffered a lisfranc injury and given the time those take to heal he'll probably miss all of training camp.  So he either comes in next year with no camp, or starts the year on PUP and we haven't done anything with RT because we've got a guy who'll be there... eventually

Great point. As is most every other point I'm reading.

I think the take away needs to be:

Go BPA or trade back.

Now, how do you determine BPA? That's the can of worms, I guess. But I wouldn't worry so much about position. The only one I'd truly probably say shouldn't be the BPA is RB, but that could change.

Does that matter if you're going with a BPA approach? I don't know the answer. is a safety as taboo as a running back? Or did we just get burned by Landry and gun shy?

I think it's harder to answer that question when the team left the cupboard so bare.  Not sure a BPA approach makes sense when it will most likely be a QB, wide receiver at our pick.

Picking a safety high is such a waste of a pick if you can't generate pressure out of your DL.  The Ravens are in the playoffs with some in the secondary that were bagging groceries.

I'd think it's just the opposite. Baltimore's secondary is at the bottom of the league in defense and it cost them. Yeah they're in the playoffs,but that's on the strength of a talented,very deep DL.....hint hint. If it wasn't for that,their secondary probably would have been torched even more. That's a scary thought.  

As for the Skins and this depth chart,I don't envy Scot the work he has ahead of him. Wow,(of course,he could see things differently). 

As for the Skins and this depth chart,I don't envy Scot the work he has ahead of him. Wow,(of course,he could see things differently). 

I truly wonder that in 2 weeks, after he's spent 100+ hours looking at film on his guys, he looks up and asks what the hell he's gotten himself into.  However, when he got to SF, they were kindof a mess, and Seattle was at the very beginning of a rebuild as well.

The single biggest question on this team, which is worth probably 3-4 wins by itself, is can they get average to above average QB play from anybody, anywhere.  Forget great QB play, they just need average QB play for the time being.  

Let's assume that they figure out how to get average QB play, from either Cousins, Griffin, or somebody outside the organization.  Then there ARE a few pieces on both sides of the ball to build around:

Offense:

Trent, Kory, DJax, Garcon and Morris are all bonified NFL starters.  Can they keep Garcon at his cap number is a question.  

They have to figure out what they have in Ribbs, Long, Moses and Compton.  Are any of those guys able to step up and take (and in Compton's case) keep, starting roles.  I thought Compton played pretty well, actually.  

They need new TEs. Reed and Niles Paul can't block, and they don't put Paulson on the field enough to make him matter.  

Defense:

This is thinner.  The DL is all old, expensive, and under producing.  I think it's tied for worst unit on the team with...

Safety. They have NOTHING at safety.  Not even any bodies, really.  So that's got to get fixed. 

But their LB corps is ok. KRobinson and Kerrigan are good.  Murphy might fit in pretty well.  Riley is at least serviceable.  

I think that what they SHOULD do is spend some FA money trying to fill some holes on offense, specifically TE and OL.  (And of course QB is a possibility too).  

Spend a lot of the high draft picks on defense, specifically the DL and secondary.  

If they can come out of the draft with 2 new defensive starters, a DL and secondary, and a bunch of guys to develop, I think it will be a good draft.  But since they basically need 6-8 new starters on defense, that's where I would spend the majority of the draft picks.  

If they can come out of the draft with 2 new defensive starters, a DL and secondary, and a bunch of guys to develop, I think it will be a good draft.  But since they basically need 6-8 new starters on defense, that's where I would spend the majority of the draft picks.  

Get as many picks as possible to do as many things as possible. 

On offense:

- Target a RB or WR in rounds 3-6

- Target an OL (G, T, C) in rounds 1-3 & 4-7

On defense:

- Target a DL in rounds 1-2 & 3-6

- Target a CB in rounds 2-6

- Target a S in rounds 2-6 (or multiple)

The more picks you have the more you can hit, the less you have to reach, and the better chance you have of just bringing in bodies in places of need. We need DL, but I don't want to reach. If that means we get a guy in the 4th and 6th, then so be it! Just get bodies. But if we had to create a rough sketch of where to target certain guys, I would be happy with what I have above.

In a perfect world, let's say we trade the 1st round pick back a bit and get a future 2nd and a 3rd and 4th this year. Let's also assume we trade our 3rd back a bit and get another 4th.

If we came away with the following from those 10 picks through 7 rounds:

DE, NT, OT, C, CB, SS, WR, QB, ILB, DE

Make it happen. Inject the youth

It's hard to pinpoint positions if you're drafting BPA OR BPA w/ need weights. It's highly unlikely that grouping of players is what we choose.

You only get those specific positions if drafting for pure need. And I think drafting for pure need is a bad plan. In fact, I think I read that Mac believes in not reaching and not drafting for need.

It's hard to pinpoint positions if you're drafting BPA OR BPA w/ need weights. It's highly unlikely that grouping of players is what we choose.

You only get those specific positions if drafting for pure need. And I think drafting for pure need is a bad plan. In fact, I think I read that Mac believes in not reaching and not drafting for need.

No I fully understand that and am on board. That's just what I'm hoping is the result ... that through BPA we end up with some balance of those positions in those rounds. But I guess at the end of the day, I just want the 10 best players we can find, and cross my fingers that that includes some OL and DL foundational pieces and some help in the secondary. 

Archived