Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current 'Skins Depth Charts (O/D) with FA's Removed

KDawg

Understand I did some guesswork on some placing on the depth chart, because honestly, I have no idea who some of these younger additions are :)

I removed all free agents: Unrestricted, Restricted, AND Exclusive Rights.

I'm assuming we stay 3-4 with this list as well. Needs change if we go 4-3.

As always, if I screwed up someone's position let me know.

Quarterback:
Robert Griffin III
Kirk Cousins

Colt McCoy

Runningback:
Alfred Morris
Silas Redd
Michael Hill

Fullback:
Darrell Young
Jordan Campbell

Wide Receiver:
Desean Jackson
Pierre Garcon
Andre Roberts
Ryan Grant
Jerry Rice, Jr.
Braylon Bell
Colin Lockett
Rashad Ross

Center:
Kory Lichtensteiger
Tyler Larson

Guard:
Shawn Lauvao
Chris Chester
Spencer Long
Josh LeRibeus

Tackle:
Trent Williams
Tom Compton
Morgan Moses

Xavier Nixon
Edawn Coughman
Rishaw Johnson
Ty Nsekhe

Tight End:
Jordan Reed
Niles Paul
Logan Paulsen
Chase Dixon
Je'Ronn Hamm

Corner:
DeAngelo Hall

Chris Culliver
Bashaud Breeland
David Amerson
Tracy Porter
Justin Rogers
Kenny Okoro
Courtney Bridget, Jr
Trey Wolfe

Defensive End:
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Paea
Ricky Jean Francois
Kedric Golston
Frank Kearse
Kenneth Horsley

Nose Tackle:
Terrance Knighton
Chris Baker
Robert Thomas
Travian Robertson
Isaako Aaitui
LaKendrick Ross

Inside Linebacker:
Keenan Robinson
Perry Riley
Will Compton
Adam Hayward
Steve Beauharnais
Ja'Gerad Davis
Austin Spitler

Outside Linebacker:
Ryan Kerrigan
Trent Murphy
Gabe Miller
Jackson Jeffcoat
Trevardo Williams
James Gayle
Ricky Sapp

Safety:

Duke Ihenacho

Jeron Johnson
Phillip Thomas
Trenton Robinson
Akeem Davis
Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith

Updated 3/18 - McCoy signing

Roster is rounding out nicely, but we still have massive holes and question marks. But it's in much better shape than it was. That may or may not be saying much.

In your evaluation (which I think is quite good), you forgot to mention how questionable the QB position is. :huh:

Also, we are pretty good at K and P.

The Rook :)

Plenty of threads already about the QBs. I would imagine that would probably have something to do with why it would be left out.

Off-Season Priorities, I think:

1. FS

2. DE/NT

3. LG

4. DE/NT

5. RT

6. RG/C

7. SS

8. TE

9. ILB

10. CB

Listed in order of emphasis. A Pass-Blocking TE should be high on the list, but he isn't someone that would likely come from our top resources. 

I actually trust McCloughan to get a SS and CB (at least depth/pieces) in the 4th to 6th rounds. FS might need to be a FA acquisition, since the draft is a bit weak and it's always tough to get a pure FS,

We'll see.  While I think the biggest weaknesses on the team are the DL and Safety, at least they have some bodies at DL.  Where at Safety they don't.  And I can't believe with Haslett gone and a new GM, we're going to see Merriweather or Clark again.  So, really, it's the great abyss.  

For me, the entire off-season strategy rests on the question about the OL: Can some combination of Long/Ribbs/Compton/Moses lock down 2 OL spots?  If yes, then that makes it easier to spend resources on other positions.  If not, then they're looking for 3 starters on the OL.  

We'll see.  While I think the biggest weaknesses on the team are the DL and Safety, at least they have some bodies at DL.  Where at Safety they don't.  And I can't believe with Haslett gone and a new GM, we're going to see Merriweather or Clark again.  So, really, it's the great abyss.  

For me, the entire off-season strategy rests on the question about the OL: Can some combination of Long/Ribbs/Compton/Moses lock down 2 OL spots?  If yes, then that makes it easier to spend resources on other positions.  If not, then they're looking for 3 starters on the OL.  

That's where I am too. OL and Safety are at the top of the list for me. Especially RT, G, and C. Polombus stunk up the place and our interior line looked like they were throwing lookout blocks on every play.

I also wouldn't mind seeing another halfway decent CB or two come in. We saw what injuries do to an already less than mediocre secondary, not to mention Hall isn't getting any younger.

We'll see.  While I think the biggest weaknesses on the team are the DL and Safety, at least they have some bodies at DL.  Where at Safety they don't.  And I can't believe with Haslett gone and a new GM, we're going to see Merriweather or Clark again.  So, really, it's the great abyss.  .  

Well, the DL becomes much more terrifying when you consider Bowen and Golston are likely gone ... and Cofield could be close behind.

I read DE as: Jason Hatcher, Frank Kearse, Kenneth Horsley

and NT as: Chris Baker and a bunch of guys i don't expect to touch the 53-man

Meaning our DL likely includes: Hatcher, Baker, Kearse who would make the 53-man ... that's 3 DL-men. Woof.

I'm interested to see what Scot's strategy is in how he plans to build. Some guys will take one year and go directly for defensive talent and depth, others will go after fixing the offensive holes and get depth, and others want to spread all the pieces out they can on both sides of the ball. Anyone have any insight on his history with that? Considering SF and Seattle the past couple years I'm going to assume we'll see a big emphasis on defensive depth. But considering all the holes we have on both sides of the ball who knows?

Yeah, our DL is ugly. We need to shore that up big time. 

The DL has more holes than the OL in my opinion. At least on the OL you have Moses, Long and Compton that could develop. Yes, the OL needs a strong OG and RT and eventual OC but we have some youth and depth there. The DL has none of that.

I would love to move back from #5 ... even if it means to like #20 and we get some 3rds and 4ths ... I would love to add 1 NT and 1 DE ... and maybe another one in the mid-rounds. That's how bad it is, IMO.

While Shane Ray is likely BPA, and I wouldn't mind the pick, it's also going to be at a position where we have some youth/depth at OLB at least. DL has none of that. Of course, if you're switching to the 4-3 then we can completely change the discussion. Cofield, Baker and Hatcher would play DT and Kerrigan and Murphy would play DE ... and Ray would fit at DE there and provide depth. I would still like to add a young DT somewhere, but at least you have some youth infused on the DL with Kerrigan, Murphy and a possible Ray/Gregory pick on the ends. 

Yeah, our DL is ugly. We need to shore that up big time. 

I completely agree.

I have been advocating that our pick at #5 should be on the DL.  Best pass-rushing DL they can find, assuming it's not a super reach.

Here's the thing: if you look at the positions that are of the most need, I think you have DL, Safety, OL, TE as the top 4.  There are bodies at WR, RB, LB. (I'm leaving QB out of the conversation, because it just muddles the entire conversation.)

For the OL, there are 2 spots set: LT and C.

I think that #5 is too high to pick an OG.  My opinion. It's also probably too high to pick a RT.  Top 5 picks on the OL are generally LT.

Unless you have a complete stud at safety, like a Sean Taylor type of freak athlete, top 10 is a bit high for that position.

Same with TE.  

So, unless you can trade down, and get a few more picks, then the position of greatest need which would qualify for a top 5 pick is on the DL.

Now, if they can trade down to ~10-15, then a lot more positions come into play, where you're really not reaching for a position you should be able to pick up in rounds 2-4.

Having said that, I am FULLY on board with picking OL/DL in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  I think it's essential to spend high draft picks on the OL/DL.  But I'm not sure OG/RT is a value at #5.  Which is why I suggest grabbing the best DL with #5, and the best OG/RT with #37.

But I think it's pretty clear at this rate that McCloughan goes BPA regardless. Would he prefer to trade #5 and recoup some picks? Of course. But he won't sit there and take the #17 player Danny Shelton over the #3 player Shane Ray, and I wouldn't want him to.

That's why this really is a 2-3 year rebuild. We might really need a 3-4 NT this year ... but maybe we don't get him. Maybe we get an OG in the 2nd and a pass-rushing OLB in the first. Well assuming the research on them was thorough and they pan out, those positions should be well-represented in 2-3 years. 2016/2017 should be the target, not this year.

We won't go into the season in a 3-4 with Hatcher, Kearse and 3 no-name guys at DE ... but we might also not go into it with a 1st round pick because the value wasn't right.

McCloughan targets the best player. Maybe for us, that means we bring in a 4th round project to be a body ... and maybe he doesn't make an impact in 2015, but maybe in 2017 he will be a key contributor. 

I guess that's my take away. I'm all-in for 2017 and beyond. Meaning, yes, our DL sucks. But let's just get the best 7-10 players we can through the draft process and bring in some UDFA to compete for depth spots.

Wow! I completely forgot about Jerry Rice Jr! Scott McClue'n will definitely want to evaluate JRJr to remember his 49ers days! Once he comes back from injury.

Everyone will want Scott to look for the next Sean Taylor (and the next Hogs). L Collins is a SS. Maybe he is the next Laron Landry. But FS is a top priority. then CB, then DT, then maybe SS. 

The core Redskins to build around would be: 

RB Alfred Morris
FB Darrell Young
WR Pierre Garcon
WR DeSean Jackson
LT Trent Williams
OLB Ryan Kerrigan
MLB Keenan Robinsion
MLB Perry Riley Jr
CB Bashaud Breeland

I'd love to see what we could get for the 5th pick. At this point my strategy would be to stock as many mid round picks as you can. I wanna see us get to the point that people are sick of hearing "And with the next pick in the draft the Redskins select..." in the middle rounds.

Wow! I completely forgot about Jerry Rice Jr! Scott McClue'n will definitely want to evaluate JRJr to remember his 49ers days! Once he comes back from injury.

Everyone will want Scott to look for the next Sean Taylor (and the next Hogs). L Collins is a SS. Maybe he is the next Laron Landry. But FS is a top priority. then CB, then DT, then maybe SS. 

The core Redskins to build around would be: 

RB Alfred Morris

FB Darrell Young

WR Pierre Garcon

WR DeSean Jackson

LT Trent Williams

OLB Ryan Kerrigan

MLB Keenan Robinsion

MLB Perry Riley Jr

CB Bashaud Breeland

Agree with all of the above except for Perry Riley. I think we can improve there.

Agree with all of the above except for Perry Riley. I think we can improve there.

I also don't think you build around a running back.  I love Alf, but RB's only have a 3-4 year shelf life.  He'll have a lot of mileage by the time we're competitive again.

Don't say the words "need" and "safety" too loud or a certain individual will come in riding his wild horse to tell you what a jack *** that makes you.

I agree, we need stuff everywhere, but it certainly would be nice to have a safety so that we can stop watching the opponent's 80 yard TD passes every other game.  I mean, it's not like the team hasn't TRIED to build the DL and LBers up.  Regardless of what anyone says, you can't just put grandma at safety with a good pass rush.  

There is such a thing as a coverage sack.

You need to remove Tevita Stevens.  He hasn't signed a futures contract.

Well, the DL becomes much more terrifying when you consider Bowen and Golston are likely gone ... and Cofield could be close behind.

I read DE as: Jason Hatcher, Frank Kearse, Kenneth Horsley

and NT as: Chris Baker and a bunch of guys i don't expect to touch the 53-man

Meaning our DL likely includes: Hatcher, Baker, Kearse who would make the 53-man ... that's 3 DL-men. Woof.

hey, we'll be looking for reasons to to keep Ross.  At 360 pounds he's got the size of a true NT

Archived