Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Wade Phillips to interview for Redskins DC job (MET)

redskins4ever28

Gonna post this here as well since we finally have a Phillips thread:

One thing I'm worried about is someone "suggesting" to Phillips that he keep Morris around...he was a yes-man in Dallas, and he's been out of the game for a year or two and might take some staff suggestions from a friend. I really hope he insists on bringing in his own guys after evaluating our DEF coaching staff. Baker and Olivadotti can stay.

What exactly do you consider wrong with Morris' coaching?

Agreed, the Skins cap space and having a full slate of high draft picks makes this a very critical year. IF (yes all caps needed) they do things right this offseason with FA and the draft they really have the chance to greatly improve this roster.

The Skins have cap space and all their picks LOL.  Are you serious.  Their problem is and always has been the **** they do when they have lots of cap space.  THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPEND IT.  THEY ALSO SHOULD SIGN NO FREE AGENTS.

What exactly do you consider wrong with Morris' coaching?

I'm not in the meeting room or on the sidelines during games, but he has to be a huge reason why nobody in our ****ing secondary knows what they're supposed to be doing at least five plays per game. "Miscommunication in the secondary". That phrase burns me up.

Morris has had the most under-performing unit on the team under his control for years with no results. The players love him because he's rah-rah and he's buddy buddy with everyone at Redskins park. Neither of those things particularly matter to me and I see zero evidence that he's a competent DB's coach.

The Skins have cap space and all their picks LOL.  Are you serious.  Their problem is and always has been the **** they do when they have lots of cap space.  THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPEND IT.  THEY ALSO SHOULD SIGN NO FREE AGENTS.

Totally agreed, build through the draft and save our cap space for re-signing our own homegrown players. Do it right.

BUT, you know we aren't doing that, so might as well discuss the scenarios where we spend big FA $$ on the defense, because that's what's happening. No point in living in a dream land.

Totally agreed, build through the draft and save our cap space for re-signing our own homegrown players. Do it right.

BUT, you know we aren't doing that, so might as well discuss the scenarios where we spend big FA $$ on the defense, because that's what's happening. No point in living in a dream land.

We need to rebuild, which means go back to the draft.  Once we build a foundation, then we can dip into free agency.  Everyone on here complains about how this organization is run, but then wants to make the same mistakes.

We don't need to sign any free agents this offseason.

We need to rebuild, which means go back to the draft.  Once we build a foundation, then we can dip into free agency.  Everyone on here complains about how this organization is run, but then wants to make the same mistakes.

I know. I agree.

But we won't do that, so we might as well discuss the only realistic scenario--the one where we spend big $$ on FA's.

I somewhat agree, but I think you have to make a distinction between "big name" FAs, which we should avoid. Versus those that can improve the depth of the roster, which we need to do.

I somewhat agree, but I think you have to make a distinction between "big name" FAs, which we should avoid. Versus those that can improve the depth of the roster, which we need to do.

Almost all of our offensive and defensive lineman to start last season were free agents.  We never build a core that are Redskins.  They are always free agents.  Until they can understand that free agency is meant to add to the roster, not build the roster, Free Agency should be a 4 letter word.

Would rather have someone other than Wade.

He has a great 1st year with his new teams and a horrible second year.

Just go and look at his stats.

I believe this team could do better, but I'm sure they'll hire Wade. God knows the Redskins always do the opposite of what is right.

But that was Wade's performance as a HC, not a DC. As a HC, he typically can take someone else's rosters and get the best out of them. Yet he can't improve the team from there. He's usually been a very good DC everywhere he's been, which is why he's been offered HC positions so many times. He's basically the defense version of Norv. Great coordinator, bad head coach. 

If we dump big money on certain positions, it's likely because Phillips told us doing so was in our best interests.  Then in terms of coaching we can look at the holdovers from earlier years.  If Perry Riley, or Phillip Thomas, or Jarvis Jenkins (assuming he's here) improve next year, a significant part of that will likely revolve around Phillips' teachings.

I'm fairly certain Jenkins is a RFA now. They may bring him back, but he's mostly been a disappointment and they may let him walk. I have no desire to see Riley in the burgundy and gold any longer, I'd much rather they tried to upgrade his position through the draft. But I definitely would like to see what a veteran coach like Philips could do with Thomas, due to injuries he hasn't seen the field nearly enough so it's possible Haslett didn't ruin him yet. 

Wade would be a huge upgrade over Hazmat. But keep in mind that Bruce Allen is picking the talent.

I also think Wade may be the scapegoat after we go 3-13 this year...because you know he's not a former Buc.

Plus, he'll be 68 next year.

Still love the guy though, I was a casualty followed his dad's team, the Houston Oilers.

I said IF they do things right pretty clearly.

The skins in the past created cap space by sacrificing dead money in the future which was always self destructive.  That's far from the case here and the days of the Albert Haynsworth signings are over, that has not happened since vinny hit the door.

Almost all of our offensive and defensive lineman to start last season were free agents.  We never build a core that are Redskins.  They are always free agents.  Until they can understand that free agency is meant to add to the roster, not build the roster, Free Agency should be a 4 letter word.

Since the draft cut down to seven rounds - there's a much greater importance placed on the ability of the FO to find both undrafted FA AND FA to build out the roster. To that point, our FO has epically FAILED.

I said IF they do things right pretty clearly.

The skins in the past created cap space by sacrificing dead money in the future which was always self destructive.  That's far from the case here and the days of the Albert Haynsworth signings are over, that has not happened since vinny hit the door.

Again, you are the problem that exists.

Since the draft cut down to seven rounds - there's a much greater importance placed on the ability of the FO to find both undrafted FA AND FA to build out the roster. To that point, our FO has epically FAILED.

Losers at the top.

Our fan base is confused with regards to free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000340023/article/which-teams-signed-the-most-new-players

Would rather have someone other than Wade.

He has a great 1st year with his new teams and a horrible second year.

Just go and look at his stats.

I believe this team could do better, but I'm sure they'll hire Wade. God knows the Redskins always do the opposite of what is right.

To be fair, he usually has at least 2 good years before a flameout. He was only two-and-done as a DC once in his career.

This is a step up over Haslett, without a shadow of a doubt. Dump Orakpo, to start with, and slowly start building this team from the ground up. 

Again, you are the problem that exists.

No you have selective memory that we actually have/are tried to build those positions in the draft..  4 o-lineman are on the team that were drafted.  counting LBs who effectively play DE we have 5 defensive lineman. This goes to talent evaluation and player development.  I guess if your own players don't/can't step up the spot should go unfilled vs a FA.

I'm all for building this team through the draft, we've just done a pies poor job of it.

Hope we get Wade for our DC job. I'd be pretty stoked about it :)

also, i dont get when fans tell other fans that they are the problem that exists on whichever team...im sorry, but fans cant be the problem of any team. the players on a team/coaches on a team/the owner of the team is the problem.

Well, I don't mean to add to this whole diversion with FA, but I think one of the few good quotes that came out of Allen's mouth during his presser was:

“The key is to make sure we take advantage of the draft. In an NFL with a growing cap, free agency is not going to be your solution. It’s going to come mostly through the draft. If we did one thing right last year, we were tempted to make some trades to acquire a player or two but we wanted to make sure our Draft was intact for 2015 and all the future years.”

Decent quote on numerous levels. Obviously, the "FA is not going to be your solution" bit is great, but I think looking at it deeper, it's good that he says "if we did one thing right last year" (which implies that they realize they didn't do anything else right) and then finishes it with the "not trading for players and making sure our draft is intact" bit.

Hopefully he actually believes that and they hold back during FA. Stick to the younger guys you can get on the cheap and have no issue cutting at anytime (hard to find those guys anyway so that automatically narrows it down to a few), while filling as many roster spots as you can with rookie draft picks and undrafted FAs. Come back to FA, with caution, when you're ready to take the next step and dominate.

As an aside, I wonder who he was talking about when he mentioned the temptation they had to trade for some players. I bet Snyder was all for it. Wonder which player/s it was.

But, yeah, good quote I guess. It still stinks we even have to go through any of this or that we have to consider admission of failure as something to be happy about, because these things are basic organizational habits that should've been implemented years ago and with the proper experts. Frustrating.

No you have selective memory that we actually have/are tried to build those positions in the draft..  4 o-lineman are on the team that were drafted.  counting LBs who effectively play DE we have 5 defensive lineman. This goes to talent evaluation and player development.  I guess if your own players don't/can't step up the spot should go unfilled vs a FA.

I'm all for building this team through the draft, we've just done a pies poor job of it.

<sigh>

Please save it for someone who doesn't care for honesty.

BTW, the Ravens just won a playoff game with a hodge podge of corners.  But they draft defensive lineman and linebackers YEAR AFTER YEAR.  The Ravens let players go when they are expired.  We keep players around like Santana Moss.  Heck we might be the only team I can remember that kept FOUR count em 4 QB's with our crappy roster.

Again, you are the problem.  We draft a lineman here or there but spend most of our high picks on skill players.  CALL ME WHEN OUR STARTING OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE lineman were actually drafter by us.  LOL

also, i dont get when fans tell other fans that they are the problem that exists on whichever team...im sorry, but fans cant be the problem of any team. the players on a team/coaches on a team/the owner of the team is the problem.

Agreed, let's not turn on each other when our favorite team provides enough scapegoats already.

If I was hired as a head coach in the NFL I would immediately hire Phillips and Turner as my DC and OC. FIVE YEARS AGO.

That being said the fact that hiring Phillips as DC is a plus for our organization speaks volumes.

We're still in a forest of incompetence and stupidity. It's hard for me to imagine Dan Snyder as being this stupid.

That being said, Wade Phillips is a tremendous upgrade. I'll take him over most of our other interviews and existing staff every day of the week. Much like Smith, they better offer him autonomy. If Bruce Allen has half a brain he'll get why it's better to hire good minds than trying to swim uphill.

Because when you are promoting the same mistake by the front office over and over, you are part of the problem.

Makes me wonder what kind of trades we were tempted by. That kind of stuff fascinates me, the "almost trades" that probably happen a dozen times a year.

(Please swallow any recycled jokes about Chad Johnson for two 1sts or any derivative--you can do better)

Archived