Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Horse Owners on the Board

Vilandil Tasardur

Hey guys, so I'm looking for a bit of advice.

My wife grew up with horses her whole life. She's raised them since she was 3 years old with her father and grandfather (who was a farrier) on their own property. She knows what she's doing and she knows how to do it right. So while I may be a total noob, this isn't the story of some noob who thinks a pony would make a great christmas gift for his wife.

My wife has the opportunity to by buy a horse for very cheap (essentially a gift) from her old college equestrian coach. She's wanted this horse since she's known the horse. It's a good horse who would make a good investment for us. But of course, there's a problem.

My wife's old coach is in Western PA, and we are in the DMV, specifically Laurel, MD. My wife currently rides weekly or biweekly at Columbia Horse Center, and she's started exploring the possibility of boarding this animal there. Google easily turns up the other 2-3 large stables in the area that are comparable in price, structure of the deal, and benefits that they offer. 

However, we want to feel like we've done our diligence. We aren't turning our nose up at the price of boarding at these stables. If you can't afford that price, then you quite frankly can't afford the animal. But we also want to feel like we've explored every option. We wanted to ask wether anyone has ever ridden at or dealt with any stables in PG, MoCo, or HoCo aside from the large "business" oriented stables such as Columbia Horse Center or Trinity Horse Center.

We're interested in barking up every tree, from these obvious and easy places right down to someone's uncle who has a couple horses and an empty stall for board, just so that we can feel like we can compare. I know one thing my wife doesn't like about these big stables is that they largely only teach english show riding, and my wife would absolutely love to get back in a  western saddle and do western or rodeo work. 

TL:DR

Basically, my wife is a HUGE horse expert that knows everything you'd need to know to own and care for a horse. However, we've only lived in the DMV for about a year now and we just aren't that familiar with all of the options in the area. Any leads would seriously help us out.

Thanks guys!

Archived