Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your thoughts on restructuring and giving DJax a contract extension to free cap space?

kgor93

I think he's proven he was worth every penny of the money we gave him earlier this year. But his cap number is jumping by $5 million for the next two years. So what if we restructure his deal while signing him to an extension? It could be less of a hit on the cap, thus giving us some extra spending money, while locking up arguably our best player for a long time. I would say a 2-3 year extension would be ideal, which means we'll have him until he's 32.

For what it's worth. Steve Smith is a similar type receiver and he's still going strong at 35.

Happily if he'd agree.

Under normal circumstances, being he'll be 29 next year, and being I see us being at least another 3 years from contention (already wrote next year off as another season of nothing under Gruden for a kick-off); I'd be against tying up a vet. But he's the best, pure playmaker we've had on this team since God knows when. And man do we SORELY need playmakers.

Hail.

I think he's proven he was worth every penny of the money we gave him earlier this year. But his cap number is jumping by $5 million for the next two years. So what if we restructure his deal while signing him to an extension? It could be less of a hit on the cap, thus giving us some extra spending money, while locking up arguably our best player for a long time. I would say a 2-3 year extension would be ideal, which means we'll have him until he's 32.

For what it's worth. Steve Smith is a similar type receiver and he's still going strong at 35.

I don't think I'd compare the two. Smith was always a surprisingly strong runner. DeSean is pure speed. I'd keep him over Garcon though, oddly enough seems better in the locker room too.

No, simple economics is the reason. A good organization would've realized this many, many years ago. Since Allen and Shanahan arrived, we've been slightly better about it, but not nearly as good as the best organizations.

Do you want good return on your investments? Do you want to make a profit, so to speak? In a league of parity, what separates good teams from bad teams?

Getting the most value out of your players. The fastest way to do that is to not hand out sizable contracts to Free Agents.

If everything goes as planned, you get equal return in terms of production vs. cap space taken (break even). A lot of the times you actually lose and are allowing the player/s to take up more cap space than the production they're giving you (net loss). We've got a ton of players (some that we've even cut) on our team doing just that right now (Bowen, Cofield, Roberts, Aldrick Robinson, Santana Moss, Garcon, etc...). That's not saying it's the player's fault, either... just the reality. Very rarely, do you get more production in relation to cap space taken up (making a profit).

Right now, Desean may be in the third category (making a profit), but he's more likely to be in the first (breaking even). Why should we change that?

The smartest thing to do would be to:

1) Draft well. That's where you get the most bang for your buck and can improve your personnel vastly without eating up much cap space, allowing you to build more depth via FA with more room to use as well. The way the new CBA is constructed makes this an even more significant aspect to winning considering the options teams have with rookie contracts now (cheaper and longer).

2) Go nuts with undrafted rookie FAs. Make as many transactions as possible with your Practice Squad and the "bottom of your roster" until you find gems. The less you have in the way of Free Agents eating up cap space and taking up roster spots the more you can do this. The Seahawks are a recent example of this.

3)Try to find gems via FA (we've tried a little of that and have failed mostly; with Garcon, Cofield, Morgan, Bowen, Josh Wilson and the 20 linebackers we brought in this last offseason, for instance). Avoid any truly "known quantities" who will demand big paydays (we've actually done that well under Allen and since Shanahan).

4) If you're extremely close to a championship, have a ton of depth due to the above strategies being employed properly, and truly just need one or two pieces to propel you, then pay one or two guys via FA who are known quantities and will demand sizable contracts. But, even here, caution is necessary. It's preferable to pay someone with maybe a small injury history (like the Pats did with Amendola) or a guy coming off a bad season with a bad team (like the Pats did with Revis) who has been good most of his career, instead, so that you can get him a little cheaper and aren't totally stuck long term.

Extending Desean and back-loading his contract would simply be a foolish move that a short-term thinking and narrow-minded FO would make. I hope they don't do it.

Absolutely not. At the end of this deal, he'll be heading into his age 31 season. He's a player who's very small, his entire game is based around speed and he has a history of small injuries. And he'll command huge money. Not to mention for all people's belief that he's suddenly become a positive locker room presence, he's a guy with a history, to say the least.

Giving big money to players for the decline phase of their careers is what dumb organizations do.

He's not a complete receiver (blocking), but his speed and ball skills make him rare.

That means were not getting anything from him unless his wheels are 100%, as we saw for a couple of weeks.

I would be OK extending for the right money, but there are so many things he can never give us as a receiver.  

I know Gruden is not happy with his blocking, and he's not ever going to be someone you can throw a fade to, or expect to go over the middle very often. 

Moss has always seemed like a #2 to me, but he was always the best WR on the team so he defaulted to #1.  Jackson is a young Moss to me, I think we finally need a talented tall receiver for the #1 spot, and Jackson would be an unstoppable weapon as a #2.

It seems like we've been hankering (pun intended) for a great, physical, tall, strong WR since Art Monk, and we have missed on all attempts.

Gruden should pick who he wants between Garcon and DJax and extend him.  I don't think we can expect to win consistently with the two of them as 1 & 2.  We're still missing our #1 receiver IMO.

Gotta be 6'3 or taller, and not some Pinkston frame.  Imagine if we could have paired up Mike Evans with DJax.  

No.

We have plenty of cap room...despite what that dope Chris Russell says.

it'll take releasing some people to get there and everyone knows who they would release but who knows who the Skins will actually release

and honestly we could use some restructuring.  Take Trent WIlliams contract for example

If he spent more time blocking for his teammates down field than adjusting his thigh pad aimlessly, sure why not. But he doesn't. He also has TMZ on speed dial, apparently. I've always thought of his contract as pretty fair to us, assuming he'd meet expectations- which he has. I wouldn't necessarily look to trade him, but I'd definitely be very open to it. 

There is something really wrong with pretty much everyone in this thread.

He's still a top 5 wr and has produced this year, despite our drama.

We just signed him this ****ing year and its a very fair deal.

Whoever said you'd keep him over garcon, wtf is wrong with you? Its not even a topic, but you want to make it a drama?

If DJax was still on da lolbirds, they win that game.

Whoever said he's a time bomb, we had 4 wins and are surrounded by drama and the mans giving pep talks. You're opinion is wrong.

Whoever said you'd keep him over garcon, wtf is wrong with you? Its not even a topic, but you want to make it a drama?

Whoever said he's a time bomb, we had 4 wins and are surrounded by drama and the mans giving pep talks. You're opinion is wrong.

Top 5 in the division?

He's certainly produced more than I expected, and hasn't been a locker room problem, but his 5 TDs isn't anything to get excited about.  And 5 is pretty much his career average.  He also isn't elevating Garcon's game, which is kind of surprising.

Looking at his contract, I don't see much that could be done to make the cap situation better.

Agreed.

Calvin Johnson - Dez Bryant - Antonio Brown - Jordy Nelson - Demaryus Thomas - AJ Green - Julio Jones - O'dell Beckham - TY Hilton - Randall Cobb - Anquan Boldin - Larry Fitzgerald - Mike Evans - Vincent Jackson - Brandon Marshall - Andre Johnson - Alshon Jeffery.  

He's somewhere in that group, but not top 5 for me.

It's also a deal that puts him in his final year a week from now.

I wouldn't do it.  Football reasons though, not locker room ones.  Garcon is a more complete football player.

The birds believe so anyways.  We would have spent that money somewhere else, so who knows where we would be.

I like his pep, but I could see him working it the other way if he decided to.  He's launching his missiles at the Eagles right now, but I could see the target switching to his own team.  I also don't like the TMZ side of him.  That doesn't mean I want him off the team, It's just an opinion.

We'll have plenty of room under the cap.  There are some bloated contracts that we can get rid of. I think several of our members have estimated we can have as much as 30 million under the cap this year.  Plus, the cap goes up again, creating more room.  The cap is the least of our worries and has been for a couple of years.

He's been better this season than I expected.  My only issue with him is the issue I saw many Eagles fans have with him the entire time he was with them. The guy is useless in the red zone.  Between the 20's when he can run his fly patterns, great.  The occasional long bomb for a TD?  Awesome.  Need him for a fade route or to operate in tight space?  Better send him to the bench and bring someone else in. 

He's a one trick pony, but it's a great trick and one we haven't had in several years.  But it doesn't translate to all parts of the field or game.  Look at his five TD's this year...81 yards, 60 yards, 64 yards, 13 yards (hey look, there's one) and 42 yards.  I think you'll find the splits are probably similar in his Eagles seasons.

The guy has 37 TD's in 7 seasons, about five per.  He routinely gets near or over 1,000 yards.  He's currently at 1,083 yards and 5 TD's, basically his career averages.  This is who he is.  I love what he's brought to the table, I just wish he was about four inches taller and could be used on an occasional fade route from inside the 10.

Roughly figuring with cuts (Colfirld, Bowen, Chester, & possibly Roberts) making a judgement call on Hatcher, bringing back Carriker team  will be around 40+ mil under the Cap. Sign some OL & CBs in FA & head into the Draft.

Head into the draft and grab one of these guys?

Rank Player Position Position Rank School Class Ht. Wt. Projected Round

5 *Amari Cooper WR 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 210 1

13 DeVante Parker WR 2 Louisville Sr 6-3 209 1

15 Kevin White WR 3 West Virginia Sr 6-3 210 1

20 *Jaelen Strong WR 4 Arizona State rJr 6-3 215 1

26 *Dorial Green-Beckham WR 5 Oklahoma rJr 6-5 225 1-2

33 *Devin Funchess WR 6 Michigan Jr 6-5 230 1-2

Per CBS Draft Player Rankings.  Pre-Combine of course...

I hate to agree with Russell on anything, but once this guy loses his legs, he's useless.  DJax in the short to mid-range game isn't really noteworthy.  And as he turns 30, you're going to have to watch him closely, so if you're extending to 33-34, that could be potentially dicey. 

Top 5 as far as being a deep threat?  Sure.  He's a weapon, but he doesn't have the complete game some of top WRs in the league have.  

He's a one trick pony, for sure, but that one trick is unstoppable and the best in the business. 

Archived