Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Those of you who go to games: Does your data connection stop working also?

kgor93

Trying to see if I'm the only one or if anyone knows if there's an area in the stadium where phones still work. My phone stops working about 20 minutes before the game starts. I can't get anything to load or if it does load, it takes like 5 minutes. I've had this happen on Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T phones. The stadium wifi is useless so it's frustrating to not be able to check scores and stats. Would be nice if they worked on better data connectivity whether through improving in-stadium cellular bandwidth or adding more wifi hotspots. Also sometimes texts are delayed and people complain that they called me but it never rang on my end.

Why you gotta be on your phone the whole time? That gets to me at any sporting event. I pay a ticket to watch an event, not to play on my phone. I can put my phone down for a couple of hours. Sadly, most people can't put them away for 10 minutes. It's pathetic how people are so obsessed with their phones in this country.

Why you gotta be on your phone the whole time? That gets to me at any sporting event. I pay a ticket to watch an event, not to play on my phone. I can put my phone down for a couple of hours. Sadly, most people can't put them away for 10 minutes. It's pathetic how people are so obsessed with their phones in this country.

agreed, its pretty easy to put the phone in your pocket for a while at a sporting event. well, unless its baseball...seriously, in that sport a game could go about  5 innings without anything exciting happening...lol. when i go to skins games, the only time im on my phone is during pre-game (texting friends letting them know im at the skins game, they usually get jealous, and updating my fb status to say "at the skins game, httr!!!" and to take pictures of the players coming onto the field) and during halftime (checking scores throughout the league) and after we score (i know, doesn't happen very often....). other than that, my phones in my pocket till the ride home.

Santa is bringing some of you a new pipe and slippers for Christmas.  Geezers!   :o  :P  ;)   Phones are awesome.  Cellular antennas please see TK's post and article.   FedEx has terrible service and they could fix that.  The opposing fans deserve to get what they pay for :huh:

Actually, I have an I-Phone.  I'm in this website while at work, all day long.  I like the internet, I like technology and I like the ease that it brings.

What I rail about mostly is, "there is a time and place for everything."  And people forget about that.  It's not time for you to be on your phone while in line trying to pay for your groceries, while driving or while you are in a group of friends/family talking to each other. People are so damn rude with their phones.  Constantly glancing at your phone every 2 or 3 minutes is obsessive and borderline psychotic to me. (None of this is directed soley at you Loudmouth12man).

I can't stand going to sporting events anymore.  Even the minor league games.  I pay for a ticket to watch the sports, not to go to the "funzone" to ride a carousel or any other crap going on inside the stadium.  The "interactive" experience has actually ruined hardcore fandom by bringing in the casual crowd that has no interest in the actual game, but would rather see how fast they can throw a baseball at a piece of canvas.  I never go on fireworks night.  No one there is interested in the actual game, but they sit there for 9 innings *****ing about the game going on and "when are the fireworks starting."  This isn't the 4th of July you jackwad. 

I mean, really, if any game bores you, go somewhere else.  Don't ruin it for me. 

All in all, I like the technology the phones bring, but it has an evil reverse curse on humans. They literally can't put the damn things down.  Put it down, just for a couple of hours.  You will not stop breathing, you will not die.  You will survive without the phone for a couple of hours. Believe me, it might due some people good to put it down. 

We all pay to watch the event but the event comes with plenty of built in game stoppages and other moments with no live action. Nothing wrong with pulling out your phone while the players are standing on the field doing nothing waiting for the commercial break to end.

We all pay to watch the event but the event comes with plenty of built in game stoppages and other moments with no live action. Nothing wrong with pulling out your phone while the players are standing on the field doing nothing waiting for the commercial break to end.

Why? You expecting an emergency call from the president? What about talking to the person you went to the game with? Chill and listen to the music or take in the sights and sounds? Do you do that at home when watching the game onTV? I'm telling you, people are psychotic about their phones. It's like they go through the DTs if they don't get their every three minute phone fix.

First off, there are plenty of TV time outs during a game, which is a very appropriate time to do whatever you want on your phone... Secondly, I too had the same issues with the data connection when I took my kids to their very first Redskins game and tried to post pictures on Facebook so our family could see the fun we were having, while it was happening. Thank god my kids saw the skins win, it's very rare animal.

It is impossible to have a conversation during a game (or sometimes even hear the phone ring) due to the crowd noise and PA system. I have told everybody (especially my wife) to simply text me. I have Verizon and text messages seem to be fine.

My data connection has been spotty this season even when I have been upgraded to club level (Free Wi-Fi) and nonexistent when I have not.

Archived