Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Redskins Can't Pin All of Their Problems on the Offensive Line

emoore0222

The issue with the line isn't necessarily it as a whole. It just has HOLES. There is an issue in the interior and on the right side. Watching Polumbus get dropped time and time again against everyone made that pretty clear. But something that needs to be acknowledged here is that this line was made up of some leftovers and people put together by Shanahan. It was built for running. It was built for a zone blocking run heavy scheme. Therefore it will break down quicker in pass protection. This is why so many discussions have been had about all of our QB's release times, and their ability to get the ball out quicker than it seems other QBs need to. Because when your line breaks in passpro quicker, obviously if your QB is still holding the ball he's a sitting duck.

You also might want to change your thread title to something that indicates that it's about a BR article about the OL.

The issue with the line isn't necessarily it as a whole. It just has HOLES. There is an issue in the interior and on the right side. Watching Polumbus get dropped time and time again against everyone made that pretty clear. But something that needs to be acknowledged here is that this line was made up of some leftovers and people put together by Shanahan. It was built for running. It was built for a zone blocking run heavy scheme. Therefore it will break down quicker in pass protection. This is why so many discussions have been had about all of our QB's release times, and their ability to get the ball out quicker than it seems other QBs need to. Because when your line breaks in passpro quicker, obviously if your QB is still holding the ball he's a sitting duck.

You also might want to change your thread title to something that indicates that it's about a BR article about the OL.

Well, the Left Guard isn't very good either......

We focus on the line because of sacks, but I think the most telling thing is how inefficient it is in the running game.  Alfred, especially when Cousins was in, but overall has been unable to run almost at all. The hundred yard mark an impossibility, the four yard per carry mark nearly a myth.  It got better a bit when Griffin plays, but this line's strength is still damn weak.

Very true. I also think the read option hid a lot of issues with the line in both run and pass pro. When your scheme is based on the ball possibly going in multiple directions it tends to do more to keep a defense honest which can make life a little easier on the line and hide some of its faults. All of a sudden those holes have gotten a lot smaller and closed up a lot quicker when our line has been left to utilize its actual talents to get the job done.

We focus on the line because of sacks, but I think the most telling thing is how inefficient it is in the running game. Alfred, especially when Cousins was in, but overall has been unable to run almost at all. The hundred yard mark an impossibility, the four yard per carry mark nearly a myth. It got better a bit when Griffin plays, but this line's strength is still damn weak.

Might be an issue with him as well. He played in a zbs throughout college and in to the pros, not sure if he's cut out to be a great runner in a power scheme.

Nobody said a word about the OL from week 2 until Rg3 came back. FACT

Cousins got sacked 1 of each 25+ pass attempts

RG3 got sacked 1 of each 5-6 pass attempts

Yeah the OL isn't great but RG3 is definitely the problem.

I think where the OL is bad is the running game, at least its more obvious than in the passing game.

I think where the OL is bad is the running game, at least its more obvious than in the passing game.

Well, not no one. I complained about them especially in the running game.  If you don't think Cousin's interceptions were influenced by line play I'm not sure what to tell you.  When you know you have at most three seconds to hold the ball you either take hits or rush your decisions leading to bad plays.  RGIII and Colt choose one side and Cousins the other.

The line stinks.

Edit: Mind you, to be fair I've been complaining about line play for at least four years.

Cousins certainly has a much quicker release. The line was saved to a certain degree during his starts for that reason. But it still doesn't mean there aren't holes in it. Griff most definitely deserves his share of the blame. There were so many times that he dropped back and just looked clueless. Not to mention how many times a sack could've been prevented by him just taking one step in a different direction. But the line is at the top of the list of things that need to be addressed.

Colt was getting sacked plenty when he wasn't playing powder puff defenses. Rg3 definitely holds the ball too long but the line also likes to hold their blocks for too short.

I think part of the problem is that the Shanahans built an offensive line to move, to get off defenders and get to the second level quickly. Gruden is asking them to do something completely different. This is partially why our pass protection sucks and our running game is pathetic. Except, of course, when we dial up plays born/left over from the ZBS.

I really think you're going to see an overhaul in the type (size in particular) of OL brought in here if Gruden is going to be around for any length of time. Regardless of who's playing QB, it will be necessary to have any sort of sustained success. 

The trouble with Shanny's line is that they are small and quick, not big and strong.

Small and quick works well for what Shanny coaches (spread them out then chop block them), but it doesn't work for pass protection, and it doesn't really wear down the front seven in the run game. I prefer big road graders, as does Gruden, but we lack those types.

As Lombardi says, football is about blocking and tackling, and sadly we cannot block well. Fixing this has to be priority one in the offseason.

Brandon Scherff

I'm kind of hoping for Andrus Peat, he could play RT until Williams hangs it up and then move to LT. If he doesn't enter the draft or is gone by the time the Redskins pick, Scherff would also be a major upgrade over what is here now. I hope they sign a G in FA and then draft a RT in the first round and a center in the third or fourth round. I also hope that Forester is gone as soon as the season is over and a top of the line OL coach is hired.

I don't think anyone is trying to absolve Griffin in full. It's just really obvious that our line is crappy and it's common sense to believe that our offense would run more smoothly if it were even league average.

No one could possibly be satisfied with what we have...right?

I won't fully blame the line, but it is a glaring issue which needs a great deal of attention during the draft. If we draft a kicker or punter again, I may literally die laughing. Seriously, I might just start laughing until I have a massive heart attack. 

Fixing of the problems with the offensive line needs to start with the Offensive Line Coach. Most of the break downs don't come from being over powered but from not being prepared. We need an OL coach who can take an average player and coach him up!  

are you nuts?  People have been complainng about the line for years.  They've demanded Chester be replaced, said Polumbus flat out wasn't good enough, hate Lauvao and are at best iffy about Kory

Archived