Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Takeaways: Nov. 27 Gruden Presser

Well, now with Porter dumped to the IR that leaves a spot on the roster for a guy who might be able to contribute more than 5 tackles this year.  That comes to like $600k per tackle for this year.  :angry:

Some of the Skins issues they have brought upon themselves with poor signings.

If Biggers is out I don't know if anybody could tell the difference. 6 tackles in the last 5 games.

Breeland & Amerson are back - they can sharpen their skills. Put some young guys in. Move them around and see what happens. 

Well, now with Porter dumped to the IR that leaves a spot on the roster for a guy who might be able to contribute more than 5 tackles this year.  That comes to like $600k per tackle for this year.  :angry:

Some of the Skins issues they have brought upon themselves with poor signings.

If Biggers is out I don't know if anybody could tell the difference. 6 tackles in the last 5 games.

Breeland & Amerson are back - they can sharpen their skills. Put some young guys in. Move them around and see what happens. 

I have to say with all due respect saying Porter was a poor signing feels like a bit of piling on and not really fair. 

No one makes the exact perfect signings every time. How many players has Belicheat released that have had some success elsewhere? I don't have it now, but I did a comparison of drafts between BB and MS. Overall, MS's were much more successful.

At the time, it was not a bad signing. He was never slated to start anyway. But he got injured. You can't predict that. I understand the frustration with the team, but that does not mean that the team should be crucified for every move that doesn't work out.                                                                                                                                       

I have to say with all due respect saying Porter was a poor signing feels like a bit of piling on and not really fair. 

No one makes the exact perfect signings every time. How many players has Belicheat released that have had some success elsewhere? I don't have it now, but I did a comparison of drafts between BB and MS. Overall, MS's were much more successful.

At the time, it was not a bad signing. He was never slated to start anyway. But he got injured. You can't predict that. I understand the frustration with the team, but that does not mean that the team should be crucified for every move that doesn't work out.                                                                                                                                       

But Belicheck's team is so much better than Shanahan's so the standard is so much higher making it harder to actually break into the lineup. Plus Shanahan's team had a $36 million salary cap penalty and a loss of 3 high picks making it easier to make the team because he cleaned house and tried to get young.

$6 million for 2 years is a lot to pay a non-starting CB considering their secondary issues. And he hasn't done anything - including camp.  He's #2 salaried secondary player with Hall #1. 

They should have gone after somebody sooner in FA instead of waiting so long that they were up against the wall in trying to get a guy. That makes it a bad signing. There were a lot of other choices that they let slip by.

But Belicheck's team is so much better than Shanahan's so the standard is so much higher making it harder to actually break into the lineup. Plus Shanahan's team had a $36 million salary cap penalty and a loss of 3 high picks making it easier to make the team because he cleaned house and tried to get young.

@ manchild - You completely missed my point. I am not arguing that Belichick or MS ware better at drafting. I am making the point that no one makes perfect decisions. More importantly it's real easy to look in hindsight and say - wow he got injured that was a bad move. Well, no it was bad luck.

@ johnsbass - The contract may be $6M for 2 yrs as I said only $2M is guaranteed. They can release now and it's only $1M. Also, if I remember everyone was really happy that we were being very deliberate with our signings. In the past we were real aggressive and everyone was mad we were real aggressive. I can;t find the exact data, but if I remember correctly, the CBs signed before Porter were all signed for quite a bit more, either more per year or multiple years.

Again, there is no way to know the guy would get injured in training camp. Also, $2M is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. He had/has some promise. Still a young guy.

I think all this losing has made us lose our sense of fairness. Nobody is perfect. They are going to make some mistakes.

Gruden is all of 10 months into his first year ever. Let's give the guy a little slack. He is dealing with a complete circus, very little of which is his doing.

Archived