Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our young secondary

carex

So, DeAngelo Hall is on IR, Tracy Porter is to and EJ Biggers is at least a little concussed.  Amerson and Breeland are our starters  Greg Ducre has gotten his first INT and Chase Minnefield is back on the roster

Meanwhile our only vet safeties are the starters, with Robinson, Davis and Thomas likely to get playing time.

If we really want to get down to evaluating players this is the position that's probably going have a chance to show folks the most in these last five games

It could finally be Minnefield's time to shine and prove he belongs on the 53 man roster next year. I really want to see how Amerson and Breeland hold up for the rest of the season. I would like to see Philip Thomas get a lot more playing time, he should really be getting more reps than Ryan Clark.

Either way I still think we need to address the SS position for next year. 2nd or 3rd round pick should be used on a Safety in the draft. Hopefully we can trade RG3 for a pick or two.

It could finally be Minnefield's time to shine and prove he belongs on the 53 man roster next year. I really want to see how Amerson and Breeland hold up for the rest of the season. I would like to see Philip Thomas get a lot more playing time, he should really be getting more reps than Ryan Clark.

Either way I still think we need to address the SS position for next year. 2nd or 3rd round pick should be used on a Safety in the draft. Hopefully we can trade RG3 for a pick or two.

LOL Please don't let us use a pick on a safety.  We need lineman.

As for Minnefield.  That experiment wont end well..

I want to see more Philip Thomas in there and maybe some Ducre as well. I like it when a rookie gets picked on and is able to step up. I think we're set with Breeland and Amerson, will be good seeing them develop.

We still need a topflight safety back there but if Philip Thomas can prove himself decent we might not need to use a high pick next draft and possibly put Hall back there or another veteran safety.

I like Amerson and Breeland (of course).

I want to see Phillip Thomas. We need to see what we got in the in the secondary.

I also like Ducre. First pick! He really did get lucky on that throw though. It was a really bad pass. I like him anyway.

Ryan Clark and Meriweather have not impressed me in the coverage game this year. They both have missed their "help over the top" assignments numerous times throughout this season.

On the long pass to Mike Evans (where Riley was trying to cover him) Ryan Clark went the the post and left Riley to have to cover a much faster WR.

Our secondary is in shambles. Breeland and Amerson are the only reason we don't get beat every play by a pass.

I'd go DL before S, but both are desperate needs.

Fans have this weird infatuation with a safety.  It doesn't matter who our safety is as long as we have a 4 man rush and put no pressure on opposing QB's.  If we had a HOF safety this year we would still have the same record.

A safety also wont cure our offensive line woes or our QB woes.

Build inside out, our safety play will get much better.

OL is the desperate need.

Maybe. Depends on how well Compton, Moses and Long play.

I don't think the OL is as bad as Griffin made them look.

And they didn't look as bad with cousins or McCoy.

Fans have this weird infatuation with a safety. It doesn't matter who our safety is as long as we have a 4 man rush and put no pressure on opposing QB's. If we had a HOF safety this year we would still have the same record.

A safety also wont cure our offensive line woes or our QB woes.

Build inside out, our safety play will get much better.

Safety is important. Less so than DL, CB, more than OLB.

We need average Safety play. We've been getting pop warmer level play. Has to improve.

LOL Please don't let us use a pick on a safety.  We need lineman.

As for Minnefield.  That experiment wont end well..

Offensive and defensive. I'd like to see us target the best lineman on either side of the ball with our top pick.

I like the talent we have at cb. I think we can go forward with Greenland and aversion as starters. Hopefully Philip Thomas can grow into the safety as well. He already has made an impact play, which he was known for in college. Turnover machine. I really hope it translate to his pro game. We can still use a top safety in the draft, I just wouldn't do it round 1 unless the talent between lineman and safety is that disparate. If we draft anything offensively that isn't a lineman in the first 3 rounds, I will be a little upset.

Maybe. Depends on how well Compton, Moses and Long play.

I don't think the OL is as bad as Griffin made them look.

And they didn't look as bad with cousins or McCoy.

Safety is important. Less so than DL, CB, more than OLB.

We need average Safety play. We've been getting pop warmer level play. Has to improve.

okay your claim we need CB more than S makes your really hard to believe.

Looking at the games without  RG3

Jacksonville, 2 sacks- 3 hurries 6 tfl(RG3 was sacked once)

Eagles we did good, no sacks no hurries 1 tfl.  We only had 84 yds rushing and I notice they defensed 6 passes and had an INT so I'm not sure they were going for pressure

Giants 2 sacks 4 hurries, 1 tfl, 86 yds rushing

Seahawks-  1 sack, 4 hits, 3 tfl 32 yds rushing

Cards- 2 sacks 4 hits 3tfl 72 yds rushing

Titans 3 sacks, 3 hits, 7 tfl  100 yds rushing

Cowboys 3 sacks, 6 hits 8 tfl, 123 yds rushing

the other guys were a bit more willing to throw it away or risk INTs I think perhaps it's not so much Griffin makes them look bad as the others make them look better.  THey did have to have the RT benched

Luck should torch us badly this week... I seriously mean like 5 TDs. I like our CBs, but without adequate S help, they're done.

But, I think DJax is the key to our S position. I think a 2nd rounder is reasonable for trade. There is no role for him here right now. Get a 2nd and scoop up a Safety in first if OL not BPA. Than have 2 second rounders for DL/OL or DL/S

Luck should torch bus badly this week... I seriously mean like 5 TDs. I like our CBs, but without adequate S help, they're done.

But, I think DJax is the key to our S position. I think a 2nd rounder is reasonable for trade. There is no role for him here right now. Get a 2nd and scoop up a Safety in first if OL not BPA. Than have 2 second rounders for DL/OL or DL/S

I don't think Andre is doing well enough to bump him up to starter.  THere's some decent FA safeties.  We can pick up one

You get pop warner level play when your lines suck.  Like a said, a HOF'er wouldn't help back there.

The problem is, our DL has been pretty good, but the safety is still giving up big plays.  I'd be happy if we gave Thomas a chance back there to see if he could fill the position adequately and then we wouldn't need a safety.  I agree with VoR, we need better safety play as well as better OL.

Fixing the OL won't fix the safety issue, but it will definitely improve the passing game.

I'm not even saying take a safety with the first pick or the 2nd pick, I'm just saying we need an improvement at safety.  You can't put anyone back there and stop big plays, you still need someone who's competent at the position, not an all star, just competent.

You can say the DL is playing poorly and that's why the safeties can't stop big plays, but then you're stuck with pretty good CB play.  Or you can say the DL is playing good and that's why the CBs are doing better, but then you're stuck with the big plays being given up by the safeties (and really only one safety).  I don't think you can have it both ways though.

As far as the thread goes, we've got some good young CBs.

I don't think Andre is doing well enough to bump him up to starter. THere's some decent FA safeties. We can pick up one

Really doesn't matter because we are still in QB search/development mode. By the time that process matures, DJax won't be here or as valuable.

Get a value pick for him. Would be a worthwhile signing if we did. We did lock him into a solid contract.

Exactly... Cut the credit cards. We need identity. We do need mission statement. We are back at square 1.

Only FA signing I would approve is young OL that has head on straight and buying into rebuild. And guess what, that doesn't exist in FA. Why? Because these guys wanna get paid, that's usually the primary goal of YOUNG FAs.

Older guys maybe will go for the ring, but we don't have that lure either.

So, FAs not really right for us. What? Get bent over by the likes of Byrd or Decker or some other young FA that doesn't want to buy into rebuild.

You just aren't gonna get what you really need in FA. Your gonna get an overpaid merc.

DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT (and trade DJax)

I'd say safety is the biggest need, and it isn't even close. I like Breeland and Amerson but they have been beaten plenty of times this year. They are growing and are earning their spots. It's nice that Ducre got a pick but he was undrafted for a reason. I doubt he is the longterm answer.

I'd say safety is the biggest need, and it isn't even close. I like Breeland and Amerson but they have been beaten plenty of times this year. They are growing and are earning their spots. It's nice that Ducre got a pick but he was undrafted for a reason. I doubt he is the longterm answer.

how many nickel and dime back stick around long term?  He's a need now though

And Ryan Clark was undrafted too

Archived