Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

aLtErNaTiVe TV: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc thread

Bang

So I love Netflix and I'm always looking for new stuff, but frankly, their search feature is not as I'd like it.

it shows me a good mix of stuff, but I have to sort of know what I'm looking for to find thing that are not what it figures my favorite genres are.. if that makes sense.

And I just signed up for Amazon Prime, which is another million things to look through.

I really enjoy catching up on series that I missed on,, like Arrow or Black List on Netflix... I like finding fun movies...  I found "Troll Hunter" on Netflix, but overall Netflix isn't great for movies.. except rfor foreign stuff, and I am not shy about a good martial arts movie.. thanks to some other thread here I watched "Ip man" on netflix and loved it.. and my wife is chinese and enjoys movies in her native language.

i like older series from back in the day, but frankly i can't remember them all and don't know what I'm missing with all the different stuff out there.

so i figured to make a thread to discuss things we enjoy, recommend or warn away from on alternative TV. 

What do you recommend i watch? I'm game for practically anything except splatter,, done with that.

~Bang

I got into House of Cards, but fell out of it. it's on my list.

My wife and i were watching together and she'd been away for a few weeks helping her mother, and now that she's back we'll likely get bck into that.

I started Luther, but the first episode turned me off, I like Idris elba.. maybe it just caught my in an impatient mood. it's still on my list.

~Bang

Wait so Netflix doesn't have a good selection of movies ?

My kids are trying to talk me into dropping some of our movie channels from our cable line up and get Netflix. I'm not one to research crap.My kids just tell me it's $8 a month for all the movies you can watch . I just say ok to them and tell them i'll look into it.

It depends on what you want. Netflix doesn't get movies anywhere near as fast as on-Demand or most of the cable channels.

But they do have a LOT of movies. I usually find something to watch, but i'm satisfied with an old western.

they have good movies. just not very up with the recent releases as they hit cable.

regardless of the movies. the 8$ a month is the best bargain going for me.. i watch something on it almost every day or so.

~Bang

Some stuff on Netflix:

My parents like Murdoch Mysteries a lot (a Canadian mystery show taking place during the end of the 19th century).

Pretty decent show, if a little silly at times.  

We all love Ripper Street (set in White Chapel slightly after the time of Jack the Ripper) and now they finally have season 2 out. 

My brother and I recently got into Hemlock Grove, which is a bit like a WB type horror show except with nudity and lots of gore.

The show has flaws but is very addictive.

Salem looks interesting too (and really gory), but I've only skimmed it a bit and I've heard mixed reviews.

For laughs (and something to ease one's mind after a depressing Redskins game) there's shows like Archer, Bojack Horseman, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Don't Trust The B---- In Apartment 23

There's lots of good anime on Netflix too for anyone who's into that. 

We've also watched a lot of old Bourdain (Food/travel) stuff on Netflix.

They have the first two seasons of Parts Unknown and 25 (I think) various episodes of No Reservations.

They also have popular shows like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Family Guy, Futurama, How I Met Your Mother, etc, for folks who want to watch earlier episodes they missed or want to re-watch them.

My wife really enjoys the anime, and i like a good sci fi anime,, but really sometimes they are hard to friggin' understand what's going on and i just watch for the visuals.

Anyone who knows any good anime titles, i'd dig that too.

~Bang

My wife really enjoys the anime, and i like a good sci fi anime,, but really sometimes they are hard to friggin' understand what's going on and i just watch for the visuals.

Anyone who knows any good anime titles, i'd dig that too.

~Bang

Some good ones I can think of are Full Metal Alchemist, Deathnote, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan (though I haven't finished that one yet), Kaze No Stigma, Fairy Tale, and Soul Eater (the last two are a bit too cutesy at times for me, but have good story lines).  Knights of Sidonia is a fascinating sci-fi one. (I personally found it confusing however, but worth checking out)

Just a suggestion: Visit moreflicks.com to search for movies:

It's a much easier way to search Netflix, plus:

- You can look at which movies are being taken off soon (Netflix shuffles their movie lineup every month or so, with a few movies disappearing and few coming back)

- You can look at what's available in other countries (Some people *ahem* have the ability to make Netflix think they're in another country)

- You can search multiple streaming services at once

I personally have a Netflix account, use Hulu Plus (mostly for TV), and have Amazon Prime, although I've never actually used the streaming.  I'm also a cord-cutter.

I use Instan****cher.com to find stuff on Netflix.

Only Anime titles I would add that aren't on the above list are Kenichi and Claymore. If you can find S-cry-ed, it's also awesome. You're gonna have to torrent it, though.

Netflix, I binged Blacklist, Firefly again, and a bit of Scrubs recently. Also Longmire.

Amazon: Justified, Downton

Snowpiercer is on Netflix now. Crazy flick a lot of people like that I coulda done without.

Edit: Instant watcher.com. Dang filter

Does anyone have any experience with products like Roku, amazon firestick, or Chromecast? If you don't have cable, do these devices allow you to get local TV channels, or do you still need an antenna? I've been thinking about getting one. I'm a "cord-cutter" also.

I've actually been revisiting a bunch of the old anthology series recently due to a comedy project I've been working on. Twilight Zone has all but season 4 on NetFlix and Alfred Hitch**** Presents is also there. I do the original version of The Outer Limits on Hulu(It's Web browser only) and One Step Beyond, a lesser known series in the same vein on Hulu as well.

Wonderful use of the filter there BTW.

Really wouldn't mind getting started on Gotham. But I think it's on Hulu, and they've already gotten rid of the first episode.

You can  buy a single episode for 1.99 on amazon or itunes.

Copper on Netflix is a good show. I didn't watch tv much in the 90's so I've enjoyed a few shows on Amazon that I didn't watch, particularly Deep Space 9, outside of Kirk the Sisko is my favorite captain now.  Rewatched the Soprano's and and The Wire.  Amazon has stepped up their game this year adding the older HBO shows.  I hear they are going to go to ad supported though, I guess all good things end.

Yeah, but it's a good topic.

I'll add that youtube has a surprising number of old shows.  Kinda clunky finding episodes in order but they aren't available anywhere else I know of.  Stuff like Fantasy Island, a definite guilty pleasure of mine. The Fall Guy is another one.  Nostalgia I guess but I love the shows from my youth.

Archived