Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Commonwealth Cup

jpage520

Although given the record of both teams this feels more like the Apathy Bowl. It's still a staple in Virginia football and the state's history itself. I know I've seen some Hokie fans in here. I very well just might be the only Hoos fan but oh well. What are your predictions? Who are you rooting for? Use this thread to talk about the Hokies vs Hoos game on Friday night at 8pm.

Wahoowa! Let's go Hoos!

We have the NCAA footba thread

For the long term good of VT football I hope UVA wins. London gets an extension and Beamer steps down.

This should demonstrate how little I care about this particular game this year. The program is a total disgrace right now

From a football perspective, UVA wins 13-9. The UVA D has good talent, the VT O is the worst I have seen in my life and the VT D has too many injuries. Hopefully Monday it is announced that Frank will gracefully retire and go off into the sunset and the program moves forward. 

Apologies about not posting there. Thought that maybe since this one was a little more close to home and specialized it might need its own thread. The Twerps have their own lol.

For the long term good of VT football I hope UVA wins. London gets an extension and Beamer steps down.

This should demonstrate how little I care about this particular game this year. The program is a total disgrace right now

From a football perspective, UVA wins 13-9. The UVA D has good talent, the VT O is the worst I have seen in my life and the VT D has too many injuries. Hopefully Monday it is announced that Frank will gracefully retire and go off into the sunset and the program moves forward. 

It's crazy how polarized the Hoos fanbase is on giving London the boot or not. If we end the streak and somehow go bowling this year I don't see any reason how you can get rid of him. The team was picked dead last everywhere minus a few "Sleeper" predictions. The defense has looked great all year. Eli and Henry both look draft worthy.

Far as Frank goes, didn't they just give him an extension recently or am I mistaken? Obviously that's kinda null if HE decides to go, but just wondering. Do you think Foster takes the spot? Or does he and the program go another direction?

What I can't figure out is how VT doesn't have a solid QB every year. They own VA/MD/DC recruiting.

What I can't figure out is why in God's name this coaching staff thought it be a good idea to keep trotting Brewer out there.

There are significant deep issues with the program right now. And to be fair we have had some incredible QB play until Logan Thomas 2012 for the better part of 17 years, starting with Druck in 1995

Druck 95-96

Vick 99-00

Randall (02-04 but hit his stride in 04)

Vick 2 (05)

Tyrod Taylor from 07-10

Thomas in 2011 had a terrific year

And from 2001 on it was an O being coached by the least prepared OC in America. It is nothing short of a miracle the QB play has been as good as it was

For me missing a bowl game due to a home loss at home in front of a neutral crowd will be enough for the old guard donors, who haven't already (many have), to pull their support for Frank and give Whit Bab**** the green light to pull the football version of Buzz Williams out of a hat

What I can't figure out is how VT doesn't have a solid QB every year. They own VA/MD/DC recruiting.

I don't think that's true at all. Elite talent, rarely comes to VT. Especially offensive talent, which is getting worse and worse as the years of offensive ineptitude grow. Why would any players want to go to VT.

UVA out recruits VT with London and other powers traditionally pluck most good Virginia talent out of the area

Unfortunately he isn't going anywhere. He will be here at least another 3 years IMO though I was calling for him to hang it up after Kansas 07 Orange Bowl.

Every year he stays on adds at least another 2 years on to the challenge of rebuilding this thing to what it was.

Not anymore.  Just like the loudmouth James Franklin said when he said the DC/Baltimore area was Nittany Lion territory.  Maryland is in a new conference, with more national TV exposure, are about to get a massive upgrade to the athletic facilities and have one of the best recruting classes coming in next year (not only one of the best in the Big 10, but in the nation). 

Maryland is taking back their territory and winning against Penn State and Michigan went a long way with recruiting.  We have the Nike of the east in Kevin Plank (Under Armor) that helps.  Now that the crap with the ACC is on our review mirror, look for MD to take back the DC/Baltimore area.  Maybe not right away, but eventually.

VA Tech and Penn St. are going to need to look elsewhere.

He may have quite a few issues with game management and personnel, but if there is one thing Mike London CAN DO it's recruit. If he stays on, which I'm pretty much positive he will if we beat Tech and especially go bowling, the Hoos will make a splash in recuiting in their own backyard. Might even be able to expand a little too. PJ is right about PSU. If you look at the numbers they've done VERY well in the DMV over the past few years in particular but Maryland is about to make an impact for sure. They really have no choice. They're in a football conference now. Not that the B1G doesn't have basketball talent. They do. But I think we can all agree that football is king in that conference, unlike the ACC. So if they don't start putting a strong focus on football they're gonna get eaten alive.

Far as Friday goes though. I'm predicting an ugly game on the offensive side for both squads. Brewer is gonna have Eli Harold and Henry Coley breathing down his neck most of the night and Ant Harris is gonna be waiting to pounce. But whether we trot out Johns or Lambert, some of the same old offensive issues with moving the ball and sustaining a drive are going to show. Looking like it's gonna be a frosty battle in the mountains. Regardless of the records, I can't wait to watch.

If uva outrecruits vt why haven't they shown it on the field?

Mike London is a terrible coach

Yea, no idea how we won that game

Loved it. Somehow we drove 80yards with the game on the line for the winning TD. Our weakness against their strength.

Definitely got nervous at the end though but a good game between two pretty bad teams

Who cares how good you allegedly recruit (and that notion is dubious as I've never heard of anyone on UVA and Lambert is terrible) if you can't win games because your coach is calling 4th down play action fakes with 12 seconds left  :lol:

How about you "recruit" some offense or "recruit" a QB? 

I didn't see a second of that game. I had it on the radio the whole time. At one point I had to turn the computers off and just sit with my hands in my head hoping for a victory. When Johns goes down it's so funny because 1) the dumb play call and 2) they had gone so far and they legit had a chance to win the game and they just come up with that  :lol:

Closest UVA has come to beating VT in a while. Good game. 

The defense did their job for the most part during that game. The offense was pukeworthy. Minus KP, Jennings, and Smoke letting their talent shine through the awful coaching and game management you would've thought we just handed the ball back after every VT drive. I wanted so bad to believe in London and that this year was maybe a gleam of hope for the turning point towards a bright future and just like with every other sports team I love and root for, crushed. And now we get to deal with London and company for another year. Looks like with a younger Tech team coming up that'll obviously be in better health next year the streak will only continue in what one could only predict to be a real ugly affair at Scott next year. Touchet to the Hokies, y'all beat us along with us beating ourselves. Would love to see this thread keep going. Maybe I can change it up to strictly "Va football" or something.

Archived