Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII shows why not to Tank...

Renegade7

Losing for Higher Draft Picks???  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Redskins to lose games this season for higher draft picks???

The year before we drafted Griffin, I remember starting a poll asking Redskins fans here how many of them wanted the Redskins to lose their final home game of the season for a higher draft pick.  It was maddening, it got ugly, well over a 100+ members voted with a solid third openly rooting against their team in an open poll.  The thread was closed and rightfully so.

Fast foward four seasons, and I can't help noticing the same individuals saying the same nonsense about losing games in hopes of higher draft picks.  To the point of suggesting we should keep starting the guy they wanted the Redskins to lose games to draft (in order to ensure losing out) even though he very well might not be in the NFL a year or two from now.

I do believe there was absolutely a fire to go with the smoke of players being upset with Griffin starting again.  And we're seeing why: He doesn't deserve to start right now.  To read that he had "special priveleges" to remove in the first place disgusts me, and if Gruden is being given the green light all the way from the top to bench him if neccesary, we should heed that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000432398/article/jay-gruden-has-power-to-bench-robert-griffin-iii

I, for one, refuse to support losing games for higher draft picks. I cannot get jiggy with doing what's neccesary to bomb the rest of the season in order to get a a chance at the next "Robert Griffin".  These players want to win, so keeping Griffin in when he's showing he's shellshocked for the hope of high draft picks is rediculous.  

And at the end of the day, he's not a rookie anymore.  If Gruden feels benching him should be on the table, then the coaching staff feels he needs to earn his way on the feild just like everyone else.  We've benched and cut people for less, and we still need to be able to evaluate the players we do have.

Honestly, we have to fix our o-line before we bring in another rookie QB to get "Ramsey'd".  And I pray we don't make the same mistakes of giving him the keys to the car without him proving he can pass a driving test first. And as a fanbase, I hope we have learned our lesson from bombing the season for a franchise QB, especially with guys like Big Ben and Rodgers getting drafted in the mid to late first round.

For the record, I have not "officially" given up on Griffin.  I am a Redskins fan first, though, so I will not support holding the franchise hostage until he "figures it out".  Enough is enough.

If we had just started John Beck all of 2011 (yeah call it tanking a season) we could have drafted Luck straight up with 1 single pick and never have to watch, 3 years later, RG3 doing his best John Beck impersonation..

Andrew Luck would be terrible here.  Why do people think that switching the QB is the answer every time?

I voted yes; had we done this 3 years ago we could of had an actual franchise QB and not what we have right now.

Ahh and this myth continues. Luck throws and catches his own passes too.

Teams live and die as there QB's do. Luck took a one win team to the playoffs his rookie season; and is a top 5-10 QB in the league only 3 years into his career.

I usually side with the "if the season is over, and we're out of the play-offs, I'd rather lose and get a better pick" crowd. But I don't think that's good for the team, I'm no longer hoping the team loses to improve pick position. I think this team needs to take any gains it can. They need to find a way to win, and they need to find a way to be consistent. I'm rooting for us to win, but it's not like the losses hurt at this point. We're likely getting the 5th pick right now, and there's a lot you can do with that value such as grab one blue chipper or trade down for a couple likely starters -- at OL, or on defense if not.

We don't need to tank. The losses will come naturally when we're this inefficient, injury-riddled and incompetent.

And Luck is a sick fantasy QB, but he hasn't won a damn thing of significance. Look at his playoff numbers or watch him play the Pats and tell me he's elite when it matters. The guy is going to spend the next decade beating up on lowly AFC South teams and getting ousted in the first or second round year after year. Which I would absolutely take over what we have now FWIW.

Under normal circumstances, I'd be MORE than happy to lose out an I'd be right there with zoony and co calling for the same .....

But, and it's a BIG BUT, I have ZERO faith in Allen making the right pick regardless. So it's all a futile exercise.

But let's pleaee cut the iutter B/S about fans wanting to lose out for the long term being wrong and fans wanton to win on the short term being right.

Homer arrogance at its finest.

Hail.

We ARE a Tank.. There is no deciding if we should or shouldn't.. FWIW, just let the season play out and re-eval in the offseason.. No since in seeing if we can win a meaningless game or two by "surprising" defenses with Colt or Kirk, we'll still be in the same position heading into next year, only with a worse drafting spot as the best scenario.. OTOH, if Robert gains any confidence and starts to improve, then we have something we can build on..

I have been wanting them to win every week for 32 years or so...

I don't think they care what we want when it comes to winning games.

Lose, lose, lose.  So bad we have to trick ourselves and declare that losing it what we want.

We're going to be in position to take future HOF players in the next draft just like the rest.

Taking the right guy and developing them properly is a big issue for us.

If we had just started John Beck all of 2011 (yeah call it tanking a season) we could have drafted Luck straight up with 1 single pick and never have to watch, 3 years later, RG3 doing his best John Beck impersonation..

Luck wouldn't fair very well against this brittle Offensive Line though. :(

It doesn't matter what the fans want. Losing out or getting a win is determined by the coaches and players during the week. I'm confident that all these players and coaches goes out trying to win. Fact is, they continue to lose and will lose. It won't matter what wrong QB is taking the snap.

With the structure of this organization, this team can have top 5 picks for 5 years straight and they'd still be losers.

Archived