Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What poignant moments from film or TV have always stuck with you?

Morrison J

I've never quite gotten to the point where a load of moving pictures have reduced me to tears (Redskins games aside) but I don't think it gets much better than when a film or tv show really hits you and puts a lump in your throat. 

A couple which stick out for me: 

That scene in Lost in Translation

600full-lost-in-translation-screenshot.j

Without spoiling it, the bit in Moon when he makes contact with Earth and realises whats happening. 

hqdefault.jpg

Anyone else got any good ones?

I'm a kid of the 80s, so:

1) Alex Keaton and Ellen breaking up on Family Ties (mostly because of the Billy Vera song)

2) Will's dad abandoning him for the last time on Fresh Prince

3) Jenny leaving Forrest Gump overnight right after they slept together for the first time-- the loneliness of Forrest roaming the house by himself in the following scene is unbearable.

That shower scene in "Debbie Does Dallas..."

my eyes get misty.... 

Do you also find yourself getting light-headed, like there isn't enough blood going to your brain?

The M*A*S*H where Radar announces (spoiler alert from 1974) Henry's death is still powerful even after it's been re-run 10 million times. I can't imagine the reaction watching that live.

I still think the best Sopranos episode is "College' where Tony takes Meadow to Maine and kills the mob informant. There are five powerful moments in it.

I've only watched the movie once (because come on) but when Liam Neeson breaks down at the end of Schindler's List, I lost it.

This is embarrassing: I got teary eyed the first time I saw Forrest talk to Jenny's grave.

This is a little off-subject, but I think Disintigration by The Cure needs to come with a warning label. Anyone who listens to that album during or after a breakup is going to end up under 72 hour observation.

1. The greatest action scene ever filmed:

a_610x408.jpg

2. I know it was you

i-know-it-was-you-fredo.jpg

3. Andy and Red re-unite

500full.jpg

4. Hank on the crapper

breaking-bad-season-finale.jpg

5. 762 millimeter. FULL. METAL. JACKET.

full-metal-jacket11.jpg

6. What's in the box

funny-brad-pitt-seven-box-scene.jpg

7. The spinning/not-so-spinning totem

lucid-dreaming-inception-totem.png

8. Marty Sheen rollin' up on Col. Kurtz's lil' shop of horrors

apocalypse_now_jungle_empire.jpg

9. I am your father

no-i-am-your-father1.jpg

10. Normandy - Omaha beach

omaha-04-large.jpg

The end of Instructions Not Included. That's the point when I realized my wonderful mother was, in fact, an evil woman. What kind of monster would recommend that movie to a new father?

Also when Ice Cube says "we jump street, and we about to jump in yo ass" in 22 Jump street. Beautiful moment.

The M*A*S*H where Radar announces (spoiler alert from 1974) Henry's death is still powerful even after it's been re-run 10 million times. I can't imagine the reaction watching that live.

Beat me to it.

The calm still that came over the room is just amazing acting.  Still is sad to think about.

Great call, LKB.

Also, I had young kids at the time that the movie "Family Man" came out.

The scene near the end when Nicholas Cage's character knows he's going back to his 'original life' and he wakes up Annie (his daughter and says):  "I'm going back to the mother ship."  Hard to watch w/o getting teary eyed.

ps. @Morrison J - great idea for thread.

The end of Instructions Not Included. That's the point when I realized my wonderful mother was, in fact, an evil woman. What kind of monster would recommend that movie to a new father?

Also when Ice Cube says "we jump street, and we about to jump in yo ass" in 22 Jump street. Beautiful moment.

My mom made me watch Mommy Dearest back in 1981 (I was six years old) because I kept saying she was mean to me and she wanted to show me how good I had it.  For the record, my mom was great and not abusive by any means.  

It changed my whole entire perspective of "mean" and just how lucky I was watching Joan Crawford (actress who played her) beating her kid with a wire clothes hanger.

Beat me to it.

The calm still that came over the room is just amazing acting.  Still is sad to think about.

Great call, LKB.

Ken Levine had a neat blog post on that.

Several readers wanted more details on the famous O.R. scene in MASH where Henry Blake’s death was revealed. When was it decided? When did the cast know? How much did the cast know? When did they film the scene? Why didn’t they kill off Trapper too because he left the show at the same time? Did everyone feel lucky that there was no ET yet to provide “exclusive coverage”?

MacLean Stevenson announced to the cast and producers that he was leaving several weeks prior to the end of production for that season (the 3rd). Wayne Rogers (Trapper) did not. His parting came after the show had wrapped so producers Larry Gelbart and Gene Reynolds had to deal with his departure at the beginning of the 4th season.

Larry and Gene decided to take the bold step of killing Henry Blake because of the message it sent – people you love die in wars, sometimes in wars that make little sense. They did not do it for the shock value. They were, in fact, somewhat surprised by the enormity of the reaction.

The episode was the last one filmed. The script the cast was given did not have the final scene. All they knew was “O.R. scene to come.” They often received scenes last minute so didn’t think this was anything odd.

They filmed the rest of the show, and got in wardrobe for the last scene. Moments before it was to be filmed, Gene and Larry came down to the set with the pages. The stunned cast had only minutes to digest the news before the camera rolled. The reactions you saw were real. Interestingly, the portion of the scene where Radar (Gary Burghoff) comes in and reads the telegram was not the first take. There was a technical glitch so Gary had to do it again. Imagine making an actor play that moment twice? It’s hard to believe anyone could do it any better.

If any viewer wrote to the show or network protesting the decision to kill Henry and left their name and address, either Larry or Gene wrote them back a personal explanation. Every one and there were many thousands.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2006/06/more-on-henry-blakes-demise.html

Forrest Gump is absolutely full of poignant moments. Great movie.

Discussion point: Did Tom Hanks win Oscars for two movies that have aged worse than any movie made in the 90s?

I find Forrest Gump almost unwatchable now. Philadelphia holds up better if you were alive then, but for someone under 30, it has to look like some kind of parody of a melodrama.

Discussion point: Did Tom Hanks win Oscars for two movies that have aged worse than any movie made in the 90s?

I find Forrest Gump almost unwatchable now. Philadelphia holds up better if you were alive then, but for someone under 30, it has to look like some kind of parody of a melodrama.

I Netflix Forrest Gump about once a year or so, and I still find it a really good movie.  On the other hand, I didn't even see Philadelphia until a couple of years ago.  I was ~13 when it came out and I remember how controversial/forward it was at the time.  Then I watched it and it seemed ridiculous that this movie was considered so edgy just two decades ago.

I still love Forrest Gump but its prob more down to nostalgia that anything. Both films have definitely aged pretty poorly though thats for sure. 

Forrest Gump shouldn't have beaten out Shawshank and Pulp Fiction to an oscar that year though all the same although Hanks deserved his Oscar for lead actor. What a year for film..

Morris, what a neat idea for a thread. loved that part of Moon as well.

In saving private ryan after they let the German soldier go and the platoon started falling apart....Tom Hanks broke down and told them what he did for a living.

Dead Man Walking when Sean Penn admits to what he did and asks Susan Sarandon (a nun) for forgiveness. For me, that was the most powerful scene in the history of cinema. I was crying and felt sorry for a murderer/rapist. Niagara Falls.

Losing Isiah when Halle Berry and Jessica Lange were in court over custody, the things the lawyer said about the difficulties of a black child would face being raised by white parents. Having lived it, the scene hits DEEP for me and i cry every time.

Glory near the end when Denzel continues to hold up the flag after being shot multiple times. :(

The first 5 minutes of "Up."

This Is England when Stephen Graham (an English skinhead) beats up the Jamaican kid :(

The scene in Shawshank Redemption (fantastic movie overall) where the convicts are drinking beer on the next to last day on the job of tarring the roof.  Andy just sitting against the wall, sun in his face, and smile from ear to ear.  First time since he'd been to prison where he felt somewhat 'normal'.  Also, the big turning point in the movie.

Archived