Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Communication between Griffin and Gruden

DiscoBob

When Shanny was the coach, there seemed to be a disconnect between him and RGIII.  Once Shanny left, the retrospective reporting confirmed that Shanny didn't communicate with Griffin and that they were not on the same page.  I recall several articles that basically explained that Griffin did his presser, and then had to wait until Shanny's presser to figure out what the coach was thinking.  Had they been willing to openly communicate ahead of time, they wouldn't have sounded so antagonistic toward one another.

So moving on to our current situation - do you think Gruden and Griffin are communicating behind closed doors?  I don't think we think we can trust their description of their relationship (i.e. see the Shanny situation up until the end of last season).  I don't think we can trust the media's opinion...

I would point to the following article:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/11/04/rgiii-puts-positive-spin-on-coach-jay-grudens-critical-comments-of-him/

that implies that Griffin is trying to save face by "putting a positive spin" on Gruden's comment that the “jury was still out” on the quarterback position.  I would like to hope that Griffin's response to that comment was based on direct communication with Gruden where Gruden basically told Griffin the same thing Griffin told the media.

I'd like to hear your opinions whether or not this is the same old situation as what we saw under Shanny or is this just the media looking to fabricate a situation.  If you think it is the same old situation, then I want to know why it is so **** hard to get our head coach and QB to sit down and have a face to face conversation on a regular basis?

Gruden is brutally honest...Shanahan was not. 

I think Gruden is telling Griffin how it is (behind closed doors).  The next 7 games will all be about evaluating Griffin and seeing if he is indeed our franchise QB.  We all know he's the best option we have out of who is currently on the roster....but it remains to be seen if he's going to be "the" guy for the next decade or so.  His tenure could come to an end, sooner, rather than later here in DC depending on how things unfold. 

FWIW, I still have faith in Griffin and think he will be our franchise QB. 

I have zero doubt that Gruden has told Griffin directly to his face what he expects from his QB and what it takes to BE a franchise QB. He may not have used the term "the jury is still out" and he most definitely did not have yet another discussion in between the end of the game and the beginning of the press conference (there would be no need)...but Gruden comes across as approachable--a trait Shanahan never seemed to possess.

I have zero doubt that Gruden has told Griffin directly to his face what he expects from his QB and what it takes to BE a franchise QB. He may not have used the term "the jury is still out" and he most definitely did not have yet another discussion in between the end of the game and the beginning of the press conference (there would be no need)...but Gruden comes across as approachable--a trait Shanahan never seemed to possess.

I agree about the way things seemed with Shanny, but I was frustrated at the time because everyone seemed to act like "things were fined" between Shanny and Griffin (at least for the better part of their time together), but it seemed like an "emperor's new clothes" situation for fans who could clearly see that they weren't talking.

Based on a couple comments this year from Gruden, I don't think he minces his words.

I think RG3 knows he had work to do.

I'll say this, the number one thing he needs to 'work on' is pocket presence. His mobility is only useful if used in appropriate setting.

Monday night Luck scrambled for 4 yards on a 3rd and 4. Ugly, just squeaked out of pocket, but got job done. And that's how his mobility always is utilized and why he's actually a better mobile QB IMO. It centers around his presence to move.

RG3 doesn't feel pocket, and when he scrambles it always seems chaotic and little to gain from. Couple that with nearly every hit his legs are flying in different directions and looks like a train wreck. When he uses his mobility we hardly see much gain from it.

I hope Grudes is ripping him some. And, as much as I like RG3, it's pretty obvious he's a little soft when it comes to constructive criticism.

Maybe because they're both extreme in their own ways. Shanahan was stubborn, and I read a few articles saying he wanted Tannehill instead of selling the house for Robert. Gruden might be to honest, to straight forward. I think nowadays you need a major in psychology to handle your franchise QB.

Well Gruden further explained the "Jury is still out comment"...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/04/jay-gruden-explains-his-jury-is-still-out-comment-about-robert-griffin-iii/

“Well, he’s young,” Gruden said. “He’s got to play. He’s got to play consistently for a long time. You know, we can’t self-appoint him to be the next quarterback of the future. We’ve got to make sure he can play and continue to progress.

“You know, he’s had a good — great — rookie year,” Gruden went on. “He’s had a couple games in his sophomore year. And then this year he played a game and one quarter, and then we played against Minnesota. We’ve got to continue to see him progress, which is very very important for a good young quarterback. And I don’t have any doubt in the world that he will continue to do that, but we still have to see it, and he’s still got to go out and do it.”

I don't think that is anything that Griffin wouldn't agree with himself. It is just common sense. He has to continue to get better to be the QB he is supposed to be. And, most importantly, he has to stay HEALTHY. Which Griffin alluded to himself. There is no doubt Jay says to Griffin exactly what he thinks. He is just that kind of guy.

Way too much made out of the jury's out comment.  He's simply stating the obvious that the position is still somewhat up in the air given Griff's inability to stay healthy for the most part thus far.  That's something that Shanny would never do.  He would have simply fallen back on his "anytime you have a quarterback in the National Football League you want to do whats best for your football team" rhetoric.  I find Gruden's honesty refreshing, and I think that accountability is something that has been missing around this team for quite some time.  His attitude of being honest with critique (including of himself which he's done numerous times) will result in players automatically looking themselves in the mirror.  And perhaps working extra hard to hang on to their jobs--no matter who they are.

Well Gruden further explained the "Jury is still out comment"...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/04/jay-gruden-explains-his-jury-is-still-out-comment-about-robert-griffin-iii/

“Well, he’s young,” Gruden said. “He’s got to play. He’s got to play consistently for a long time. You know, we can’t self-appoint him to be the next quarterback of the future. We’ve got to make sure he can play and continue to progress.

“You know, he’s had a good — great — rookie year,” Gruden went on. “He’s had a couple games in his sophomore year. And then this year he played a game and one quarter, and then we played against Minnesota. We’ve got to continue to see him progress, which is very very important for a good young quarterback. And I don’t have any doubt in the world that he will continue to do that, but we still have to see it, and he’s still got to go out and do it.”

I don't think that is anything that Griffin wouldn't agree with himself. It is just common sense. He has to continue to get better to be the QB he is supposed to be. And, most importantly, he has to stay HEALTHY. Which Griffin alluded to himself. There is no doubt Jay says to Griffin exactly what he thinks. He is just that kind of guy.

I hadn't seen Gruden's response to Griffin's comment, but that seems to confirm that they are on the same page.  It just pisses me off that there are several articles every week insinuating that their comments to the media are veiled attacks on each other.  I wonder how much of the perceived "sensitivity" of Griffin was the result of a highly dysfunctional Shanahan regime?  Now, that we've changed leadership, the media is still ringing the same bell...

I can, definitively tell you...     They communicate just fine....

They live across the street from each other, and they will car pool to work on occasion.

Gruden is also different, he will tell people like it is and doesn't shield his players if they mess up.   

They live across the street from each other, and they will car pool to work on occasion.

Gruden is also different, he will tell people like it is and doesn't shield his players if they mess up.   

do they actually live across the street from eachother??

That's funny, I had no idea.  I guess if they weren't talking those would be some really awkward rides....

I'm hoping this QB / organization disconnect line of thinking that seems to persist in the media dies down.

Right now, the NFL Insider crew is desperately trying to find a riff with the Redskins concerning the QB situation. And Ed Werder of all people had the nerve to say, "if I'm the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants, I'm loving this." Loving what exactly? Dude needs to worry about his precious Cowboys QB situation.

Jesus, I can't wait for this team to get its act together so we don't have to listen to this BS anymore.

EDIT: The GM of the Eagles is said to not be sold on Foles. I wonder why that is not being viewed as "drama?"

Right now, the NFL Insider crew is desperately trying to find a riff with the Redskins concerning the QB situation. And Ed Werder of all people had the nerve to say, "if I'm the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants, I'm loving this." Loving what exactly? Dude needs to worry about his precious Cowboys QB situation.

Jesus, I can't wait for this team to get its act together so we don't have to listen to this BS anymore.

EDIT: The GM of the Eagles is said to not be sold on Foles. I wonder why that is not being viewed as "drama?"

How come they didn't blow up the story about how desperately Jones wanted Manziel? To me that sounds like a lot of disconnect when your OWNER pretty much demands a new quarterback.

I think what he said was just for the media's benefit. I'm sure Gruden has talked to him about what he needs to do to get better.

You know, I really hope so ... Coach already said that the team has rabbit ears and are too sensitive to media and outsider comments. I hope Robert has the fortitude to take what he said and turn it into a challenge. 

How come they didn't blow up the story about how desperately Jones wanted Manziel? To me that sounds like a lot of disconnect when your OWNER pretty much demands a new quarterback.

Exactly. We all know we've had issues, but ESPN now is trying way too hard to find drama where there is none.

do they actually live across the street from eachother??

Yes, the media blew it up when he was first hired. Also I think just recently Gruden or someone was talking about RG bringing a bag of Ice down to his house for someone that that sprained an ankle. I think it was his son.

Agree. The only thing I see that might get under Griffin's skin is the word "self-appoint," though it's unclear that the "self" necessarily refers to Griffin. If it does, I don't think Robert thinks he appointed himself the quarterback of the future. He's had a lot of help from the fans and the front office making that appointment.

He knows what the team traded to acquire him. You'd have to be really naive to think that an outlay like that didn't communicate something to a player. Everything else Gruden said is spot on, though.

Again, it doesn't matter what the fans think or the media think or anyone else... what matters is what the 53 players in the lockerroom KNOW. 

It does matter if the perceptions of fans and the media cause the players to second guess what they thought they knew.  Not saying that it is happening now, but I think there are examples of it happening in the past.

Archived