Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets just lay the cards out. Do you believe Griffin is still our savior?

RichmondRedskin88

389 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still think Griffin is the franchise savior?

• Yes. He will overcome these injures and bring this franchise back.
    • No. The injures will be too much. He will be gone in the next few years.

1000% and have never wavered. There is no way this poll is accurate after all the bad stuff he gets on here. There other savior in Cousins must didnt workout. They are holding out hope for McCoy but dont want to full fledge jump on so they wont look stupid like last time and try to act like they always supported Robert

Yeah Griffin can be "The Guy" - he may not ever be quite the QB he was in 2012 but he can get back close and over time with experience maybe be even better in some ways.

I voted yes in the poll but theres a catch or more accurately a qualification.

That yes is subject to us building a good offensive line, having a strong running game, continuing to improve on defense and fielding consistently competent special teams as a minimum. So having a team around him in short. No QB can be a one man 'saviour.'

• 2012- Gimmick offense, Ngata blasts his knee, Seattle game happens
  • 2013- All rehab, no camp or growth, same gimmick offense gets hammered behind our line all year on one leg
  • 2014- Ankle injury in week 2

Nothing about his career here has involved development, yet we want to judge him on development, it makes 0 sense.  Bottom line, the sky is the limit for Robert, let the kid go out there and play. 

Well said.

Let the kid go play.

He has not forgotten how to play. He is likely a step or so slower than the 2012 version, but his apparently abundant heart and football IQ will continue to make him a special player.

Just keep fingers crossed for a return to good health.

I voted yes, but I don't like the word "savior".

I get the impression he's starting to "get it" so to speak.  At least that's what I hope.  I say he comes back and slowly improves as an NFL QB.  Get better at reading defenses, going through the progressions and protecting himself.  It's really the best and quickest way for this team to improve and be a viable threat to challenge for the SB. 

I pray he stays healthy and that his team starts building a solid Oline to protect him.  We have some nice pieces in place on offense -- just need to sure up the Oline and defense.

1000% and have never wavered. There is no way this poll is accurate after all the bad stuff he gets on here. There other savior in Cousins must didnt workout. They are holding out hope for McCoy but dont want to full fledge jump on so they wont look stupid like last time and try to act like they always supported Robert

Wow, never wavered? You're one hell of an RGIII fan. If Gruden doesn't put RGIII in situations to be successful he will struggle. If he does, then Griffin can carry us. It really depends on how Gruden wants to use him. If we expect RGIII to be a pocket passer (meaning sit in the pocket like a statue) this year then he will not perform. We have to take advantage of Robert's athletic ability, and maybe over the years the pocket passing will come. So it's really not so simple to ask Is Griffin the savior. Can he be? Yes.

I think the more important question to be asked: Is he the best QB currently on the roster?

I say yes.  Anything beyond that is not important until beyond this season.  I don't want all of us to make the same mistake with Colt that we did with Cousins due to a good game or two.

Robert is still the best QB on the roster, whether he is a "savior" or not is pretty loaded because of what that term implies.

I voted yes. Yes he can, yes he can. I still have faith in him and honestly if McCoy can look this good with our weapons, then there's no reason RG3 can't. There's no denying his arm strength and passing ability. He just needs to get his confidence back and that starts with getting better pass protection. The foundation isn't Robert, it's getting a solid offensive line.

I voted no. I was against giving up all those picks for 1 guy. Not that I think Robert can't be great it is just that I feel one career ending injury and your franchise is set back 5 years. Not worth the risk. Then Robert hurts his knee and not even with contact but with a whip and I find out the knee was repaired before? Are you kidding me? All those picks for a injured player. Now he hurts his ankle. I feel he is the kind of guy who will always get hurt. If we can keep him healthy he has a chance to be great but so far he is out more than he is in.

I think he has a chance to do it too but I don't think he will last. We need a franchise QB to start 16 games a year including playoffs.

I don't think he's going to be able to stop himself from making reckless decisions like the one he last got injured making.

What do you mean the last one?  It was actually a very good pass he threw across his body, to Jackson, very athletic.  He was never touched by a defender.  He never crossed the LOS so it was not a "risky" run play.  His cleat got caught in the turf so there is nothing to learn from it. It was neither risky nor reckless.   It was simply a freak injury.  The bigger question is IF things like this will continue to happen.  That is what concerns me.

I voted yes. I don't think he was as poor in 2013 as some make out. We were a bad, dysfunctional team. 

I also don't think he's any more reckless than Luck or Wilson, he's just less durable. That said, his two injuries have been a little freakish and were not on designed runs.

Someone made a great point earlier, he's the best QB on our roster. Not only that, but even on 2013 form he was better than any QB that came out of the last two drafts. There's only Luck and Wilson I'd consider swapping him for from the 2012 draft and that isn't feasible.So, with so many other far more pressing needs and what we gave up for him they have to persevere with him throughout his contract,

If we are talking about RG3 of 2012, I vote yes. But we are not, we have not seen that guy since then. I think he has the ability to be the "franchise" but too early to anoint him as such. Is he the best QB on the team? He better be, I like both KC and CM but think RG3 is more talented than both. At this point, I just want to see him improve (which I think he will) and give him this year and maybe next to craft his game.

So, if I look at his rookie year, I see a highly accurate QB with great long ball touch who had wings on his legs.  If I look at his second year, I see a QB with above average accuracy, a poor deep ball, and poor mobility.  If I look at the first game and a half this year, I saw a very accurate QB with a good deep ball.  He's too patient in the pocket, too willing to let the play develop.  He needs to learn to trust the route, his arm, and his receivers more.  That's all he's missing.

Colt and Cousins have both shown me that while the line is bad, Griffin was indeed responsible for getting hit too often.  He needs to turn his brain off just a little and do a little more 1, 2, 3, throw.  If he can get that down it will reduce the number of scrambles, hits, and injuries.  I think he has everything else going for him.  His head just gets in the way.

What does this mean?

I think he means

1) Don't show any personality

2) Show personality when the team needs leadership, but not too much

3) Get down on the ground

4) Excepting when "team needs a play," in which case he should take a ferocious hit if it helps win the game

5) Throw the ball away

6) Don't throw the ball away, make a play with his feet

7) Don't run

8) Run a lot

9) Don't be too flashy

10) Cut hair, make it something respectable like Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop

11) Be humble with media

12) Say "I" a lot when taking blame

13) Don't say "I" too much when talking about the game, it's a team sport

14) Stop filming SUbway commercials in the off-season

15) Be more like Kirk Cousins and just let it fly, consequences be damned

16) Don't be tentative

17) Don't make mistakes

18) Protect the ankle and knee, and head

19) Don't play scared

20) Throw for 100 percent completion rate and average 5 TDs per game

21) Don't go for stats, numbers don't count, only wins

22) Be a little like Colt McCoy

23) Throw downfield

24) Take the easy pass, take what the D gives you

25) be aggressive, take command of the game

26) Take blame for things from last year, incessantly, even things not your fault

27) If you get hurt, don't try to come back too quickly.  Great football players are known for being on the shelf for extended periods of time, it's called humility

28) Don't be a malingerer

29) Support teammates

30) Don't be a phony cheerleader for the camera

31) Floss at least once a day, but don't make it LOOK like you floss once a day

32) Fit my inconsistently applied moral and personal standards at any given moment during a game.

So, if I look at his rookie year, I see a highly accurate QB with great long ball touch who had wings on his legs. If I look at his second year, I see a QB with above average accuracy, a poor deep ball, and poor mobility. If I look at the first game and a half this year, I saw a very accurate QB with a good deep ball. He's too patient in the pocket, too willing to let the play develop. He needs to learn to trust the route, his arm, and his receivers more. That's all he's missing.

Colt and Cousins have both shown me that while the line is bad, Griffin was indeed responsible for getting hit too often. He needs to turn his brain off just a little and do a little more 1, 2, 3, throw. If he can get that down it will reduce the number of scrambles, hits, and injuries. I think he has everything else going for him. His head just gets in the way.

Basically, he's thinking too much. All the talk of him being a pocket passer and going through his progressions has made him a little too robotic. Once he stops thinking and just reacting, he'll be fine.

He is morphing and learning right now. Needs to read defense better, sense the pass rush and get ball out faster.

When RG3 is able to buy time IN the pocket, go through his progressions, anticipate receivers, throw into tight windows, within 3 seconds, in the red zone,  I'll be at 100% that he's our franchise QB.

I'm at 25% right now that RG3 is our franchise QB because he is a super-mobile QB with an accurate arm. If he's able to read defenses better, I'll go upto 50%. If he can get the ball out fast (like Luck can) then I'll be at 75%. Finally, he needs to make small moves in the pocket to buy time, instead of bolting out of it, and if he can do that (which I think will be the hardest skill for him to learn) then I'll be at 100%

Despite the fantanstic results Russel Wilson, Kapernick and other mobile, non-pocket passers have produced recently, I just don't believe that it is sustainable for RG3 to move around that much. He is fragile.  More than the others, he needs to learn how to be a better pocket QB. His mobility will always be a threat, but as he ages he will need to rely on it less and less every year.  Wilson is getting better at making quick throws from the pocket. Robert needs to as well.

I like that Gruden is investing the time to teach him pocket skills this year. We'll find out how well he's able to anticipate routes and trust his receivers by letting go of the ball early instead of waiting for folks to get open first.  He will always have his mobility. If he can be an above average pocket passer, the combination will be rare.  Until then it's Hope and Wait...

Archived