Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts From Dallas.... Yes, That Just Happened

kleese

Man, what a night. I am going to wax poetic at the end here, but for starters I'll keep it straight.

A great, longtime friend of mine lives in Dallas and works for the Cowboys now. I've know him since childhood. As soon as the schedule came out he said his extra ticket to the Redskins game was mine if I wanted it. Of course I accepted. Made the drive down from OKC today (about 3.5 hours) and met him at his palatial office (really nice digs as you might suspect).

In addition to two primo seats in the club level he also has a great parking pass and access to the tunnel and sideline areas. We went down there and Colt walked right next to me for a moment--- I was shocked at how big he looked. He is a big man--- just not particularly big surrounded by other NFL guys I suppose. Was also a few feet away from Garcon and others as they warned up.

But my highlight was getting to meet Joey T and I got an awesome pic with him. I tried to upload it but it said file was too big. If anyone can help me out there, send me a PM and I can try again. It's a great shot. That made my night even before the game started. I've now met Gary Clark and Joey T in the span of two years. Two of my favorites.

The club level of Jerryworld is insane. Just incredible. It is pristine and very comfortable. Food was solid, albeit just stupidly expensive as you might imagine.

The sensory overload in the stadium is also stupid. Every team goes a little overboard with that stuff, but in Dallas it is ridiculous. You find yourself cringing during stoppages because they just never stop with the music and the lights and the crapola. I have NBA season tickets and that stuff gets annoying there too, but the Cowboys put it to shame. It's really excessive for the sake of being excessive.

As always, no issues with Cowboys fans at all. Not even really any banter. Fewer skins fans tonight than I've ever seen in Dallas before. And Cowboys fans were pretty into it and loud (more than normal). But I still don't find the stadium very loud compared to other places---just too big. It was a beautiful night here-- no idea why they closed the roof.

The game.... No need to rehash it, you all saw it. My quick thoughts

--Colt wasn't good in first half. The INT was a horrible decision and he missed other plays as well. The long pass to DJax was a sure TD but he underthrew him quite a bit. WRs had to wait on balls which negated YAC--- especially in first half. Second half he was great. He attacked the end zone on that QB sneak. Great poise converting all those first downs.

--Team was so well prepared in all phases. Gruden had them ready to go. Minor complaint going a tad conservative with his play calling on final drive of reg and then in OT, but overall he called a great game and showed extreme patience and confidence in his team and their plan. So very nice to see the team so clearly improve. That's a great sign.

--I'm a lone wolf on the "Haslett isn't so bad" train and tonight I think I may have gained some support. What a tremendous effort from the defense. The blitzes had the Boys all mixed up. We left our corners on isnlands and they were absolutely fantastic. Just wow. Breeland had an incredible game.

--After we had the ball in our hands twice at the end and failed to secure it, I thought for sure we missed our chance. Such a great display of from the defense to hang in there. Special props to Riley for the second and three play in OT when he stopped Murray in the flat. Huge play. By the way, my fellow Sooner Demarco is a beast. I thought we did well on him and he still went off with big numbers.

--A thrilling night. So happy I was able to be there; can't thank my friend enough for taking me.

Final Thought:

This is why I never check out. I've held firm in this all along calling many of you drama queens for what I perceive to be at least a slight dramatization of our situation that borders on self-loathing. Many said they made plans not to watch. But if you did that, now you can never get that experience back. You gotta continue to risk your heart and yor sanity for the payoff of nights like tonight--- maybe this was the game that turns this program around? Or maybe it's just a random win in a below average season? The latter may be more likely, but tonight happened. And I always have that memory now. And if I allowed myself to check out physically or emotionally I would have robbed myself of that.

Hail!

So much awesome...i made friends with some Cowpie fans tonight in LA but we all decided this was a great game, & that Romo was bound to lose it at the end. Had many great conversations, discussed traveling to Frisco in 4 weeks, but all in all...i don't expect a better night than tonight for this season.

Breeland is awesome...Murphy did plenty well in place of Orakpo....& Colt did exactly what you needed him to do. Great win....let's get one next week vs Minnesota. HTTR

So much awesome...i made friends with some Cowpie fans tonight in LA butbwe all decided this was a great game, & that romoSUCKS was bound to lose it at the end. Had many great conversations, discussed traveling to Friscoin 4 weeks, but all in all...i don't expect a better night than tonight for this season.

Breeland is awesome...Murphy did plenty well in place of Orakpo....& Colt did exactly what you needed him to do. Great win....let's get one next week vs Minnesota. HTTR

I'll be in San Fran for the game…hit me up!

Final Thought:

This is why I never check out. I've held firm in this all along calling many of you drama queens for what I perceive to be at least a slight dramatization of our situation that borders on self-loathing. Many said they made plans not to watch. But if you did that, now you can never get that experience back. You gotta continue to risk your heart and yor sanity for the payoff of nights like tonight--- maybe this was the game that turns this program around? Or maybe it's just a random win in a below average season? The latter may be more likely, but tonight happened. And I always have that memory now. And if I allowed myself to check out physically or emotionally I would have robbed myself of that.

Hail!

Great post, but that last p-graph is MONEY!  I'm sick of the negative-nancies around here, and especially after this game, they need to shut up or ship out!  Did ANYONE expect us to go 8-0 with a new coach, new scheme, and with RG3 just getting back to health (before he was re-injured)?!  Get real!

Oh .. and post that JoeT pic or it didn't happen!  :lol:

I've been criticizing this team all season for not having enough heart.  Tonight I want to apologize to all the Redskins players because they proved me wrong.  What I saw tonight was PURE HEART and so refreshing to see our team FIGHT and not just go through the motions.  Tonight, I love these guys!  First back to back win since 2012!

Thanks for sharing, a great night indeed. It must have been awesome to experience the win there, in person! I'm just on cloud 9 right now. I don't think it's really hit me yet that we won. Glad you got to experience it in person :D

As I just noted to someone, I'm currently on a bus home at 6:43 in the AM after a graveyard shift with the biggest **** eating grin you can imagine.

People must think I'm either a complete crazy person or I got lucky last night lol.

We ****ing beat Dallas Dave! Pinch me!

Hail.

Random thoughts:

Great game plan and play calling by Gruden and Haz. Haz was like a Jedi with the blitzes and bluffs. Gruden stuck with the run which set up play action, with a nice sprinkling of west coast style dinks and dunks. I was especially impressed with the script that he opened the 2nd half with, and the way he slow burned 6 minutes of clock on the last possession to get us in range for what could have been the game winning field goal try.

The officiating was a bit lopsided. Check the penalty numbers. Between that and the missed opportunities (there were a bunch) I was thinking we were going to lose another we should have won, but give the team credit for fighting the whole game.

I knew in the first quarter we had a chance. We were playing like it mattered from the opening kickoff. Great energy and hustle. I chalk that up to good leadership.

What a fun game to watch too! It was one of those where every play felt pivotal. Another great game for the storied rivalry. This is one I won't forget, right there with the hand of God game and that other miraculous Monday.

We broke a bunch of losing streaks tonight (prime time losing streak, division losing streak, and road losing streak). It's also been a while since we won back to back games.

At the halfway point, we've already matched last year's win total (despite the mash unit that includes our best corner and key pass rusher). Safe to say we are improving. All but one game this year has been close in the 4th quarter. Can't wait to see what happens when we plug Triplesticks back in.

Really impressed with the young corners.

Happy for Colt McCoy. I kinda like the guy, going back to his college days. He has moxie. I think he earned himself another year in the NFL with tonight's effort.

As I just noted to someone, I'm currently on a bus home at 6:43 in the AM after a graveyard shift with the biggest **** eating grin you can imagine.

People must think I'm either a complete crazy person or I got lucky last night lol.

We ****ing beat Dallas Dave! Pinch me!

Hail.

Pinch! We did it Lucy Pearl :D

You're lucky to have been at Jerryworld tonight. The announcers there were probably just as biased as those on ESPN. It was disgusting and hard to listen to. When we started driving near the end, the passion wasn't there to the same degree that it was any time the Cowboys started rolling. Countless comparisons of romoSUCKS/Murray/Bryant to Aikman/Smith/Irvin. When we sealed it up, ESPN collectively seemed more amused than excited.

Glad we went there and smacked Dallas in the mouth. Now we have a shot of confidence after two straight wins and a golden opportunity to get back to .500. It was a good night to be a Redskins fan.

Depressing fact: we have started 3-5 four seasons in a row. Three of those seasons were, understandably, total failures. One was not. Trying not to get my hopes up yet.

Ya know, the old saying 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut' doesn't quite fit the bill here. The squirrel found a golden nugget!

Unfortunately for me, at my age and the time I have to get up for work, I missed the last part of the 4th/OT, and I'm kicking myself for it, but I'd never have woke up this morning. [fumbling for my DP ] what a game! Win or lose, the Redskins took it to the Cowboys last night, and I knew the Redskins would pull it out [sarcasm]; no one expected to see that kind of performance against them, we all figured Haslett selling out to shut down Murray and Romo lighting up the secondary, but i'll be happy to eat crow on my criticism of Haslett and the defense; they played like a possessed team on a mission. If they could play with half of that enthusiasm every week, this could be a team to deal with down the road.

And for the record, **** you Dallas

SIC

I wasn't going to watch..I no longer have cable/satellite due to financial restrictions so I don't have ESPN(capt obvious) BUT

I have a Cowboys fan friend(who lives in Richmond..seriously? seriously!) who encouraged me to watch..he sent me a link online.

I've tried watching online before and it was an exercise in frustration so I asked a friend of mine who is a member here if I could come over and watch w/him..he gladly agreed (and provided beer and snacks..I love my friends especially the Skins fans ones! LOL). I watched every moment and it was well worth the climb into bed at 12:30pm EST and having get up at 5am for work...I don't feel tired right now but I'm pretty sure that's false hope..I am glad I tuned in..it was fun to watch..we played better than I ever thought we could. Breeland had a tremendous game..to hold Dez in check for the most part was amazing! In the end it was a team effort and I am so proud of them for that performance.  It was truly one of the better Skins/ Cowpukes games I've seen lately.

The best part..every single "analyst" picked Dallas..they rode Dallas' jock all night...never gave us any kind of credit whatsoever...and to hear our HC brother waffle all over the place every time something good happened for us was priceless..at one point he said, "the redskins are confused" we made a play and he said, "the cowboys are confused"..I was laughing...everyone was confused including Jon Gruden!

Up at 6:00 a.m. local on 4 hours sleep; got drive back home in a few and work this afternoon. I was 95% sure this was going to be a painful morning/drive home/brutal day, but I risked it anyway. And now I will fly home :)

Great post! I'd've given my left nut to hear the collective moan of disgust in that stadium when we stopped the 'Girls on 4th and 3. :)

I'm generally quiet during games with brief outbursts and I'm not a smack-talker. But right after 4th down I ran up and down out aisle (many had vacated already) and for some reason my reaction was to pound the cushioned seat backs with my hands. It was a ridiculous display I'm sure. But I'm cool with it.

Up at 6:00 a.m. local on 4 hours sleep; got drive back home in a few and work this afternoon. I was 95% sure this was going to be a painful morning/drive home/brutal day, but I risked it anyway. And now I will fly home :)

I'm generally quiet during games with brief outbursts and I'm not a smack-talker. But right after 4th down I ran up and down out aisle (many had vacated already) and for some reason my reaction was to pound the cushioned seat backs with my hands. It was a ridiculous display I'm sure. But I'm cool with it.

HAIL!! :)

Great post, but that last p-graph is MONEY! I'm sick of the negative-nancies around here, and especially after this game, they need to shut up or ship out! Did ANYONE expect us to go 8-0 with a new coach, new scheme, and with RG3 just getting back to health (before he was re-injured)?! Get real!

Oh .. and post that JoeT pic or it didn't happen! :lol:

Tried to post it again, dang it! Need IT help :)

One other thing to keep in mind and be happy about.  Haslett exposed the weakness in the Dallas offense that others will copy.  Dallas will need to figure out how to handle the blitz packages he was dialing up.  I know cover 0 blitz packages are risky but surprisingly, Dallas couldn't seem to figure it out at all.  It's a copycat league and everyone playing Dallas now will do the same thing to Romo and that offensive line.  Dallas may have started out hot but there's now a blueprint on them - let's see if they can adjust.  :)

One other thing to keep in mind and be happy about. Haslett exposed the weakness in the Dallas offense that others will copy. Dallas will need to figure out how to handle the blitz packages he was dialing up. I know cover 0 blitz packages are risky but surprisingly, Dallas couldn't seem to figure it out at all. It's a copycat league and everyone playing Dallas now will do the same thing to romoSUCKS and that offensive line. Dallas may have started out hot but there's now a blueprint on them - let's see if they can adjust. :)

And I believe they play a very good Cardinals D this week. This would be an entertaining way to see them go 8-8.

But my highlight was getting to meet Joey T and I got an awesome pic with him. I tried to upload it but it said file was too big. If anyone can help me out there, send me a PM and I can try again. It's a great shot. 

Not surprised, Joey T has a big personality ...  :P  :P

The play calling Jay -> Sean -> QB is not going to work.  Jay just needs to call it.  Last night there was so much confusion and Colt was calling an audible on several plays but got pinched by time which led to a couple of needless crucial penalties.  If we are building a pocket passer system, they needtime to adjust at the line so the play needs to be in quick.

I liked seeing the adjustments made at the line, especially in the second half but it needs to be much smoother.

Archived