Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014/2015 Winter Weather Thread

China

Yes, I know it's not winter yet, but I saw this and thought it will be coming soon enough:

'It's coming back': Meteorologists warn ANOTHER Polar Vortex will strike the U.S. this winter

The Polar Vortex Part II is getting ready to roll back into town.

Leading meteorologists are warning the Mid-Atlantic is in for a repeat of last winter, which was noted as the 34th coldest such period for the contiguous 48 states as a whole since modern records began in 1895, according to weather.com.

Now, with a month-and-a-half left of fall, the forecasts are in, and another polar vortex looks set to hit the Northeast from January and not let up for months.

Accuweather are reporting that New York will again experience above-average snow and freezing temperatures, however neither is expect to hold out as long as the brutal winter of 2013/14.

'I think, primarily, we’ll see that happening in mid-January into February but again, it’s not going to be the same type of situation as we saw last year, not as persistent,' AccuWeather.com Expert Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said.

1413425502656_wps_20_650x366_10131619_wi

Click on the link for the full article

Anyway, I'm sure winter has already started for some of the board members, like those in Colorado:

Couple things to clarify...the article's headlines are a little weird. The polar vortex is always there...like always, even in the summer. It strengthens in winter and occasionally pulls arctic air into the US. Last year was noteworthy because of the strength, frequency, and persistence of those dips.

Of course the polar vortex will "return"...it didn't go anywhere. The question is will it's dips into the U.S. be anything like last year? The Pacific, the Siberian snowpack, and these volcanoes that keep letting loose say that is a real possibility...

This morning was a PERFECT fall morning.    

Crisp but not cold, I biked in shorts and a tee-shirt and was comfortable after about 5 minutes.  

Low hanging mist/fog with the sun peeking over the top.  

Nice colors.  

Smokemist rising off of the C&O and Potomac

i can wait for winter.  Hell, I could suffer through another 4-6 months of this.

Archived