Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter to Dan Snyder

TD_washingtonredskins

I realize this is more therapeutic than anything else, is not original, and will not help one bit...but I want to organize my thoughts about the state of the Washington Redskins and share what I would say to the current owner if I had the opportunity.

About me: I'm one of the loyal fans. I am 37 and have been a diehard since 1982-83 when I started watching sports. The original Gibbs years spanned my youth (ages 5-16) so it is no surprise that I was hooked on Redskin football and felt like I was a part of a classy and successful NFL organization. The Washington Redskins were truly one of the crown jewels of the league. I've given this team the benefit of the doubt almost 100% of the time over the nightmare of the past 22+ seasons (the majority of which are on Snyder's watch). I tune in (and occasionally attend in person) every weekend, read articles/watch programming during the week, follow the news during the long off-season, etc. In short, outside of my family and career, the Redskins are by far the most time-consuming "hobby" that I have for myself.

My thoughts: This organization is rotten from the inside out. So many years of changing directions and yielding to every coach has produced a roster and a culture with no unified vision. We are a rudderless ship...an organization with no coherent plan or philosophy. Whatever the individual reasons for each change in direction (it's no longer important to rehash why Schottenheimer was fired for Spurrier, why Zorn was hired, or how Cerrato could draw a NFL paycheck for nearly a decade), it is finally time to admit that this franchise is a mess and needs a complete renovation. To be clear and stick with the HGTV analogy, we need to start with the sledge hammers and demo everything down to the foundation, not buy some paint or install new cabinets.

If Dan Snyder were to look in the mirror and be honest with himself, he needs to address the stakeholders of the organization (including the fans) and admit that only a legitimate full-scale rebuild will fix the product on the field. Every position within the organization must be evaluated. I'm sure plenty of the people that work on and off the field for the Redskins are hard-working, professional, and quality people. However, that doesn't necessarily equate to them doing a good enough job.

My plan: 

Step 1: Identify the face of the organization. If that's going to be Bruce Allen, fine. But he should also realize that he can be the President or CEO without having a hand in personnel. His job should be non-football operations, etc. after he hires or appoints a personnel guy to be the man who runs the football operations.

Step 2: Leverage the wealth of the franchise and the owner's willingness to spend money by creating the dream team of scouts and player development. There is no salary cap for front office spending, so get creative. Have 2 scouts for every 1 on a typical team. Create positions or a department to analyze football trends at every level to see what might be potential innovation opportunities. Invest in data analytics. Finally, hire a GM who can determine and carry out a dynamic organizational philosophy and approach.

Step 3: Be OK with being very bad before you see improvement. I get that it's riskier to tear it all down, but the potential reward is a dynasty rather than the opportunity to bubble up a couple times per decade to win 9-10 games. Every player should be honestly evaluated based on his contributions and potential, not marketing value or the price that was paid to acquire him.

My dream at this point would be to watch my Redskins go through this process, essentially shedding the losing reputation and mentality to truly hit the reset button at all levels of the organization. It's OK to acknowledge that we will not compete for a few years while we transition and reload. It's OK to cash in well-liked and high-profile players for picks, cap space, etc. and finally build a team of individuals who all fit into one unified plan. This entire organization needs to pull in the same direction for it to experience success. 

Adopting this approach, or something similar, would be the single best way for Snyder to reward the loyal fans for their continued patience and support. As far as I can tell, it is the only card the owner has left to play and it is undoubtedly the absolute right thing to do at this point in time. It's been 15 years, it's time to stop playing with the shiny toy that he purchased and get serious about his role as the steward of the Washington Redskins. There is a loyal fan base ready to love this team again...please get serious about your role in building a team worth loving.

Thank you.

Because DC is such a football town, Snyder has been able to make huge profits while running a laughable organization and offering a sub-standard product.  The rise of the Nats and the Wiz mean that DC is moving towards being a more well-rounded sports town.  This will force Snyder to adapt.  In this new DC market, the profitability of the team will be directly dictated by the performance on the field and within the organization.  In this way, we will become a better franchise and team…or so I hope.

Let us pray.

I agree with your remarks.  But Danny is so stubborn and it has to be his way or the highway for anyone who works for him. Several years ago he could have brought in the former General Manager of the Green Bay Packers who retired to Annapolis.

I feel bad for the current young generation of Skins fans who for the past 15 years have had to watch losing football and yet still continue to pay their hard earned money with no adequate return on their yearly investment.   Often I hear sports radio announcers say that football is "entertainment" and if you view it solely as entertainment then our fans have not found this team to be very entertaining at all.

Sometimes having a diehard fan for an owner is a bad thing.

This is one of those times.

I agree, but I feel that many of us in this position would have the foresight to step back and get the right people in place, or at least exhibit some patience.

What I find so incredibly disheartening is that I truly believe that Dan "Fanboy" Snyder will NEVER sell this team.  He's too stubborn and living out his childhood dream of OWNING his favorite football team.  I get that.  However, I truly believe that we will NEVER be a successful organization with him at the helm.  And when he passes away, he'll give the team to his kids, which likely means future Snyder incompetence.  Basically, for the rest of my lifetime, barring unforeseen wholesale changes in ownership and the direction of this franchise, we will be a losing football team.  How incredibly heart wrenching that is for me. 

After 32 years of being a fan (when I was 4 years old), and growing up in the glory days 80's, I'm SERIOUSLY beginning to question if I want to continue to watch these games any more.  No way could I switch to cheering for another team (B&G is in my blood) and I still watch every Skins game (we only get 16 a year, after all), but the joy and passion and excitement of watching us on Sundays has completely left me.  I expect losses now, and after losing 13 of our last 14 games, I'm not disappointed in anticipating disappointment.  I will say that it's much easier on my constitution and my health to expect a loss.  I can laugh sadly at our folly as a lone tear descends from my eye.  We suck as a football team and I don't see that level of suckiness leaving us for a very long time.  I need a new passion.

It would be nice if he could just learn how to run a proper business. If you have a **** product, you are eventually going to lose that willingness from customers to purchase. Look what is happening to Apple. They had the market on smart phones. Slowly but surely, their product has dwindled and allowed others to take over. They are no longer innovative. People are starting to catch on and spend their money elsewhere. Guess what would keep those customers? A good product. Eventually, loyalty wears off. Blackberry being an even better example.

Guess what? There is a better product just up the road in Baltimore.

Snyder thought he could live the rest of his life on loyalty. He is beginning to learn that he was sadly mistaken. Hopefully it shows in his profits.

I do agree with more money should be invested in non-players that have to do with the team, like training staff and scouting. But I don't agree with blowing this whole thing up AGAIN after we just re-organized the front office and have a first year head coach. We knew this team needed work after last year, but we aren't going to know what we have right now until Griffin comes back.

He tried the proven HC and fired Cerratto. That did not work. Now we have a separate FO from the coaching staff, like most other franchises. Can we just give it a second before we come out with the pitch forks to say it isn't going to work? We gave Shanny four years, we haven't even given this half a season yet.

Step 1: Identify the face of the organization. If that's going to be Bruce Allen, fine. But he should also realize that he can be the President or CEO without having a hand in personnel. His job should be non-football operations, etc.

He can't do that, and his reputation is a repellent to the best coaches and GMs available.

“To kill the snake, you got to cut off its head.” Deacon Jones. Getting rid of him will end the losing streak. The Redskins are his toy, and he's just a clueless fan who wants to win.

I do agree with more money should be invested in non-players that have to do with the team, like training staff and scouting. But I don't agree with blowing this whole thing up AGAIN after we just re-organized the front office and have a first year head coach. We knew this team needed work after last year, but we aren't going to know what we have right now until Griffin comes back.

He tried the proven HC and fired Cerratto. That did not work. Now we have a separate FO from the coaching staff, like most other franchises. Can we just give it a second before we come out with the pitch forks to say it isn't going to work? We gave Shanny four years, we haven't even given this half a season yet.

How much evidence do you need that nothing had changed? As soon as the new shiny object (DeSean Jackson) became available, the Redskins had to have it. Never mind they had just signed their supposive #2 WR and nevermind the OL is a disaster. Nothing has really changed.

The Danny treats this team just like any other 'corporation'...FOR PROFIT. Quality of the product be damned just as long as it brings a PROFIT. He needs to get it in his head that if he puts out quality product the PROFITS he would receive would be exponentially greater than what he gets from putting big names together for sales pitches.

Seaon ticket waiting list would be a 40 year wait, merchandise would have a waiting list etc.

What he has going on since taking over would be comparable to McDonalds selling under cooked food and still expect people to keep eating the under cooked food because it has McDonalds name on it.

We gave Shanny four years

THIS IS WHAT DRIVES ME CRAZY...*I* thought we've been REBUILDING for 4 years!!!! We HAD Drafts...ya we had 1 year with CAP Issues..BUT WHERE IS THE FOUNDATION that 4 Years should have built??? RAK, ANY OL besides Williams???? I don't see it.

Are we REALLY THAT BEREFT of talent that we are starting over? How did the "boys build their OL..they had cap issues too.

THEN WE HAVE MURPHY when we needed a Right Tackle or Guard....

God....WTF???

That's the issue though...Snyder shouldn't be "trying" things until he happens upon the correct formula. He should use the fact that his organization's value is so high and he's willing to invest in the team by fortifying the front office and personnel department. 

You can add a GM under Bruce Allen, add a bunch of scouts, and begin evaluating coaches and players without making immediate changes. Let those people take their time to re-evaluate how we grade coaches and players, etc. and then present to Allen the proposed path forward. 

I'm done with Snyder being the football decision maker. He should have very little to do with what approach we take other than signing off on the coaches/players that Allen and the GM decide to hire. 

Are we REALLY THAT BEREFT of talent that we are starting over? How did the "boys build their OL..they had cap issues too.

They did it with high draft picks over the past 4 drafts. It's not something that can instantly become better. Keep in mind that Dallas kept finishing 8-8 and being lapped by the rest of the teams in the division (including us one year) while their plan was being executed. They were also picked to finish dead last this year before everything fell into place. My point is that it's going to take time and may not be completely evident to experts, fans, etc. while it's happening. 

There really is no excuse why a top-5 valued NFL franchise doesn't have state-of-the-art everything in terms of a front office, infrastructure, etc. Start with THAT foundation, then move to the top (GM), and work your way down (personnel department, scouts, etc.) to build this team properly. 

As I said in another thread... it's easier to root for younger players that are improving and learning to play than it is to get frustrated by veteran players not living up to the hype.

Do it right, Dan.

We've shown we'll buy in and I think we deserve/have earned it.

Great OP, Ry.

Dan Snyder should sell the team or at least divest himself of a controlling interest.  That way, he could focus on what it is he does best: being a fan and could let real experts build the organization.  Maintaining no control but some economics would also insure that he doesn't miss out on the continued appreciation (value wise) of the franchise, assuming Goodell doesn't run this ship into an iceberg.  In any event, there would be ways for him to stay involved, retain economics but give away day-to-day operations.  He's way too much of an ego maniac for that to ever happen.  But, Dan, if you're reading this, and I'm pretty sure you are given your penchant for snuffing out any criticism where ever it may exist (although, even for you, it may be tough to do on a site affiliated with your team), you should consider having your lawyers draft this up for you and find a willing consortium of buyers.  Just think--you can monetize your most valuable asset and potentially even have a winning football team.  You've proven without a doubt that you cannot do both.  

So, what position does Snyder play on the field?

We need a better scouting organization and better draft selection.  We need to upgrade the OL asap and not wait for draft picks to be coached up in 2-3 years.  We need a young, dynamic DC to go with the rest of the youth movement.  Jeepers, even the announcers of Sunday's game remarked that our Defensive players are playing 10 yards off their opposition.  Time to change this.

But Snyder is no longer the problem.  It's the FO, scouting department, the coaching staff, and the players that have to step up.  I just don't think that our depth is any kind of depth at all.

And a word about DeSean Jackson's coming to DC.  Hell yes you sign him if you can.  And too bad for Roberts, he's getting his paycheck and he is making contributions. 

Everytime a new coach is brought in, in essence, we are rebuilding. They bring in their coaches and get the players they can with the money they have to spend. We draft with our picks and we spend-- on relatively young guys over the past several years-- in free agency. This is a rebuild. The problem is is that you have to actually execute the rebuild. We seem to add mostly wrong pieces to our rebuild and that's why our rebuilding never works...capeesh?

We need a better scouting organization and better draft selection.  We need to upgrade the OL asap and not wait for draft picks to be coached up in 2-3 years.  We need a young, dynamic DC to go with the rest of the youth movement.  Jeepers, even the announcers of Sunday's game remarked that our Defensive players are playing 10 yards off their opposition.  Time to change this.

But Snyder is no longer the problem.  It's the FO, scouting department, the coaching staff, and the players that have to step up.  I just don't think that our depth is any kind of depth at all.

Snap... I missed the last season ticket holder meeting where we got to vote for the GM and the structure of the organization.

I've also missed the last several over the past almost two decades.

Oh... oh we don't do that?

Who picks them out and who has been picking them out?

They did it with high draft picks over the past 4 drafts. It's not something that can instantly become better. Keep in mind that Dallas kept finishing 8-8 and being lapped by the rest of the teams in the division (including us one year) while their plan was being executed. They were also picked to finish dead last this year before everything fell into place. My point is that it's going to take time and may not be completely evident to experts, fans, etc. while it's happening. 

The sad thing is that for how much we have made fun of the Cowboys mediocrity (and mediocrity is not something to strive for), at least the Cowboys have gone into the final regular season the last few years with a chance to win the division.

Redskins fans are again staring at December games at FedEx as meaning absolutely zilch for postseason relevance. Ouch!

Archived