Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Favorite Redskins Game of All Time: a Break From Reality

skins island connection

2014 has been a trying year for the Redskins, with fans at each other's throats, bitter, pissed, mad, and other superlatives i'd rather not mention.

So, as I sat here having breakfast [ Dr.Pepper & Reeces Nutrageous bar ], reading thread after thread of why this team is inept, and the overall mood of the fans, I thought it would be a good idea for a distraction away from the reality of 2014 thus far, and maybe shed a little light on games of the past.

What is your single most favorite game of all time? It doesn't have to be the first game you ever saw, the biggest game, but if you would be able to go back in time and maybe have the ability to sit at the 50 yd line, what would be the game that you would want to see?

There aren't any wrong answers, and there are plenty of games to filter through, you know, that 'signature game' so to speak, that made you hold your head up the highest.

Me? Well,  it has to be the 1982 NFC championship game between Washington and Dallas. The game that put Joe Gibbs on the map. I don't ever recall being THAT hyped up about a game before or after, but a few have come close. Joey T.,  th' Diesel John Riggins, the Smurfs, and on and on.

They were destined to become great; there wasn't a person sitting down in the stadium when a big play happened, the bleachers bouncing up and down, it was IMO the game that changed everything for the organization.

So, whats your all time favorite? Take a little break, flash back as far as you like, and I guarantee, you will play alot of the game in your head the whole time.

Breakfast of champions SIC

I had a hard time choosing so I will list a few,

Monday night miracle

Bucs playoff win 05

Minnesota 2012

NFC east title 2012

It sucks being a younger fan. For some reason I can't remember actual games from the 99 season. I remember a bunch if Norv era games even prior to him like the 3-0 loss to the Jets but the 99 season is a blur.

Didn't we beat the Lions in OT in the wild card round of 99? I do remember Darrell green intercepting a pass and running it back while being pushed into the endzone by other Skins for the win.

Doug Williams incredible comeback against Denver in the SB. Second to that, for me, would be the Monday night miracle. And then there is always the game in which Sean Taylor picked up the blocked FG to run it back and set up a win for us that seemed out of reach. Miss ST so much; that man was always around the ball and played with so much intensity and passion. I don't think we'll ever see another player like that come through our organization ever again. So sad. :(

In no particular order, just the ones that immediately come to mind:

--The 1987 NFC Championship Game. If I did make an actual list, this would likely be #1. I remember exactly where I was and exactly how I felt when Darrin Nelson was unable to corral the pass at the goal line on 4th down (no, Darrell Green did NOT deflect the pass). Gibbs dropped to his knees and all Summerall said as the play ended was "and the Redskins are going to the Super Bowl." It wasn't a real pretty game, 17-10 final. But it was a glorious moment.

--One week earlier at Chicago in the bitter cold. The Green punt return game.

--1991 regular season at Giants on Sunday Night. After falling behind early, we dominated the second half, clearing what I felt was our last hurdle on the way to the SB that year.

--A very odd one... 1996 at Patriots. This was during the 7 game win streak, Pats went to SB that year. A very well played game and I remember thinking we were officially good again... Oops. As a side note, later that year we won at Philly to go 8-3 and that's when I REALLY felt we were back. I have a good story about that one which I shared in the history thread prior to the Eagles game.

--2005 at home vs Dallas

--1992 at home vs Dallas.... Actually THATS my number one. No doubt.

Trying to think of some more obscure games...

1992 Wild Card Skins at Vikings.  Tired, old, injured Skins roll into the dome to face the high-scoring, uptempo Vikes.  We thumped em 24-7. Fred Stokes and Wilber Marshall had great games.  Last win of Gibbs I.  Sean Salisbury went 6-20 113 yds and 2 Ints and this game effectively ended his career…good times!!!

In no particular order, just the ones that immediately come to mind:

--The 1987 NFC Championship Game. If I did make an actual list, this would likely be #1. I remember exactly where I was and exactly how I felt when Darrin Nelson was unable to corral the pass at the goal line on 4th down (no, Darrell Green did NOT deflect the pass). Gibbs dropped to his knees and all Summerall said as the play ended was "and the Redskins are going to the Super Bowl." It wasn't a real pretty game, 17-10 final. But it was a glorious moment.

--One week earlier at Chicago in the bitter cold. The Green punt return game.

--1991 regular season at Giants on Sunday Night. After falling behind early, we dominated the second half, clearing what I felt was our last hurdle on the way to the SB that year.

--A very odd one... 1996 at Patriots. This was during the 7 game win streak, Pats went to SB that year. A very well played game and I remember thinking we were officially good again... Oops. As a side note, later that year we won at Philly to go 8-3 and that's when I REALLY felt we were back. I have a good story about that one which I shared in the history thread prior to the Eagles game.

--2005 at home vs Dallas

--1992 at home vs Dallas.... Actually THATS my number one. No doubt.

Ahhh, the infamous Aikman fumble.

That was one crazy ass game. Aikman pump fake, then hit and fumbles in the endzone, mad scramble for the ball, refs had no idea what to call, so they huddled together, fans screaming, then all of a sudden the ref's arms went up in the air. TOUCHDOWN!!

A friend of mine [ Cowboy fan ] was over, claiming the whole time it wasn't a fumble. When they called it a TD, he got pissed and left. lol

Ahhh, the infamous Aikman fumble.

That was one crazy ass game. Aikman pump fake, then hit and fumbles in the endzone, mad scramble for the ball, refs had no idea what to call, so they huddled together, fans screaming, then all of a sudden the ref's arms went up in the air. TOUCHDOWN!!

A friend of mine [ Cowboy fan ] was over, claiming the whole time it wasn't a fumble. When they called it a TD, he got pissed and left. lol

Wild. Jason Buck applied the pressure. Emmitt could have eaten the ball for a safety, but tried to scoop it out of the endzone, not really sure what he was trying to do. But he didn't do much with it and then Danny Copeland rolls in and recovers it--- but the refs didn't know it. Copeland is at the 50 yard line and the refs are still trying to find the ball. He runs all the way back and shows it to them and finally the TD signal. Stadium erupts. Stands shaking on next possession.... Aikman moves them to midfield but Shane Collins gets a huge sack and pass to Irvin on 4th is incomplete. Yep, that's my number one.

Breakfast of champions SIC

I had a hard time choosing so I will list a few,

Monday night miracle

Bucs playoff win 05

Minnesota 2012

NFC east title 2012

It sucks being a younger fan. For some reason I can't remember actual games from the 99 season. I remember a bunch if Norv era games even prior to him like the 3-0 loss to the Jets but the 99 season is a blur.

Didn't we beat the Lions in OT in the wild card round of 99? I do remember Darrell green intercepting a pass and running it back while being pushed into the endzone by other Skins for the win.

Funny you should bring up the '99 season because I was thinking about this season just this morning.  We did beat the Lions but it wasn't in OT.  Skins dominated that game from start to finish.  I think you're confusing that game against the Lions with another one from the mid-90s.

The reason I was thinking about this season this morning was because it flies under the radar since the Skins have sucked so badly since '92.  The '99 team was a very good team.  OL was good, Brad Johnson had a super year, Stephen Davis was rolling, and even Michael Westbrook had a strong year.  The defense, while not spectacular, was solid.  Skins rolled Detroit in wild card round and had Tampa beat but blew the game late.  I wonder what might have happened had the Skins held on against Tampa.  I think that '99 team was a good matchup with the Greatest Show on Turf, the Rams, that year.  Heck the 2000 Skins went up to St. Louis and manhandled that Rams team with Jeff Freakin' George at QB on a Monday night.

In summary, I think that Skins team could have been a Super Bowl team if it had just gotten by the Bucs.  What might have been.

I have to separate eras. I'm 38 years old. My very first memory of the 'Skins was at a SB party for the 1982 SB. I remember flashes, but I was 6, so I can't say I really remember much of it. I don't have any memory of the NFC Championship game that year.  I don't know if we watched it or not.  Both my parents are from India, so football really wasn't a thing in our house until I became a Redskin fan.  We watched a lot of tennis. 

Golden Era: 1982-1992:

1. 1987 SB over the Broncos. It's the game that really solidified my fandom. I was 11, so old enough to understand what was going on.  Will always be #1 for me. Doug Williams going deep, the Hogs opening up running lanes so big a truck could drive through, and Elway sitting on the sideline able to do virtually nothing about it.  

2. 1991 SB over the Bills.  Clearly the next most favorite game.  And I'll give Chris Berman credit, he had a fantastic line in the post game show, when asked when the game was won, he said, "Well, when they beat Detroit and were here and had to be dealt with." Love it.  Also remember Ryp running around with that crazy fist-pumpy-jumpy thing.  

3. 1991 regular season win over the Falcons.  Epic destruction of a playoff team. 

4. 1991 regular season win over the Giants in NY.  They came in losing 6 straight, I think.  Sprint Bomb.  Epic.  

Middle-Era; 1992 - 2003.

Not a whole heck of a lot good happened here, there were a game or two, but interestingly, the two games I remember most vividly were losses. the 1999 opening day loss against Dallas, and later that year, a loss to Peyton and the Colts in Indy. Second to last game of the season.  

If I had to pick one favorite game, it would be the playoff game at Fedex after the 1999 season, against Detroit.  Which is STILL the only home playoff win that FedEx has seen.  Which is pathetic.  Gus Frerotte was back QBing the Lions, and I think he was knocked out early.  I was there.  It was cold.

Recent Era: 2004 - present

I had season tickets from 2004-2008. So I saw a lot of games at FedEx.  Also went to a few others here and there.

1a. 2007 Finale against Dallas.  The last matchup of Gibbs vs. Parcels.  Winning by 21. Going to the playoffs.  It was just an emotional rollercoaster, after an emotional season. I was there.  I sat in my seat for probably 15 minutes after the game just staring at the scoreboard.

1b. 2005 Monday Night Miracle.  All of the good took place in something like 6 minutes at the end of the game.  2 TDs to Moss, and then ST21 with the hit right at the end to preserve the victory.  

2. 2007 Bears game.  Thursday night game at FedEx. I believe that ST21's funeral was on Monday. They came back, JC was playing pretty well, got hurt, and TC came in to win the game.  I was there.  Coldest I've ever been in my damn life.  Wind was really whipping around.  

3. 2005 finale against the Eagles.  First time going to the playoffs since 1999.  5 game winning streak.  Gibbs magic back again.  

4. 2012 opener against New Orleans.  Shock and Awe.  Completely sucker-punched the Saints in New Orleans, which is not an easy place to play.  Unveiled a new style of offense that has kindof taken the NFL by storm. 

5. 2012 Finale against Dallas.  Winner goes the playoffs.   Tony was Tony, throwing a late INT to Rob Jackson.  The picture of Robert and Morris together after the game.  The promise of things to come.  

Funny you should bring up the '99 season because I was thinking about this season just this morning. We did beat the Lions but it wasn't in OT. Skins dominated that game from start to finish. I think you're confusing that game against the Lions with another one from the mid-90s.

The reason I was thinking about this season this morning was because it flies under the radar since the Skins have sucked so badly since '92. The '99 team was a very good team. OL was good, Brad Johnson had a super year, Stephen Davis was rolling, and even Michael Westbrook had a strong year. The defense, while not spectacular, was solid. Skins rolled Detroit in wild card round and had Tampa beat but blew the game late. I wonder what might have happened had the Skins held on against Tampa. I think that '99 team was a good matchup with the Greatest Show on Turf, the Rams, that year. Heck the 2000 Skins went up to St. Louis and manhandled that Rams team with Jeff Freakin' George at QB on a Monday night.

In summary, I think that Skins team could have been a Super Bowl team if it had just gotten by the Bucs. What might have been.

They fly under the radar because they weren't very good. That was one year where luck was on out side though. It was also the one year under Norv where we actually took care of business and beat average to bad teams consistently.

It was a horrible year in the NFC...TWO 8-8 teams made the playoffs and the only team we beat above .500 all year (including playoffs) was Miami in the last game when no one played on either side.

1999 was a "normal" year though which feels so abnormal for skins fans. That team was better than average and didn't have any major highs or lows.

Lol i liked the Thanksgiving 2012 game vs Dallas. 

This would have to be my most exciting game I witnessed as a fan. The entire season was the most fun I had as a fan until the Seattle game. Before that 1999 was a fun year but when RGIII was going off on the Cowboys on Thanksgiving day, that was the best food coma I have ever been in.

Obviously, the playoff wins & SB wins are all time favorites. There are a bunch of wins over Dallas that come to mind, like the '92 regular season game and the "Monday Night Moss Game". But one of my absolute favorite Redskin games ever was the '91 regular season win over the Houston Oilers at RFK. I wasn't there, but as I did back in those days watched all the non-televised games at a sports bar where I live in the Albany. N.Y area. 

The Skins came into the game 8-0 and the Oilers 7-1 and it was being hyped as a possible SB matchup preview. It was a grey, dreary day in November and the game was filled with turnovers. It was a crazy game filled with high drama and the Houston kicker (Howfield?) missed a 33 yard field goal to win it. The game went into overtime and Chip Lohmiller hit a 35 to 40 yarder to win it for us 16-13 and we were on our way to a 14-2 regular season record and a third SB Title.

That '91 season was the best Skins season ever, because not only did we win it all, but it was our first SB Championship that wasn't in a strike shortened season. That also validated Coach Gibbs as a true champion, because even though us Skins fans knew how good he was, there were always some nay sayers saying how he only won in strike shortened seasons.

Choosing 1 game isn't easy.  But, if forced to do so.  I'd say the 1982 playoff game against Minnesota. The one where the Vikings said they were going to butcher the Hogs.  Some of the so called experts might disagree but that is probably the most dominating performance I have ever seen by an Offensive Line.  If you still don't know which game that was, it's the one where Riggins takes off his Helmet & bows to both sides of the field.

One of the most underrated games is 1990 wild card at philly.

I hate philly.

Wait, let me rewrite that.

I LOATHE philly.

I hate everything about the Eagles. Everything. Starting with their fans, for obvious well documented reasons, I hate all their former coaches, I hate many of their former and current players, and I especially hate their radio play by play announcer who has the most obnoxious-want-to-punch-the-guy-in-the-face touchdown call. Everything. Well except one thing, I do have lots of respect for and love listening to Ray didinger on the radio. He's the only thing Eagles related to like.

I live 15 minutes from their stadium in NJ. The Eagles have always been my cowboys. Rest assured, the other two teams in the division aren't exactly on my Christmas card list, either. But you have no idea how I despise everything Eagles.

Anyway, part of the obnoxiousness of their fan base is they, to this day, celebrate the body bag game..a relatively meaningless regular season game where they injured a lot of redskins on their way to a win.

What those pieces of garbage never tell you about is the real revenge game that happens when it mattered the most...in the playoffs..in philly..that same season, and that redskin team was PIsSEd.....

To know how pissed they were, just watch the Americas game 1991 story of the world champion redskins (the Eagles are still waiting for their version) when Charles's mann talked about that very game.

That defense kicked Phillis ass in their stadium and got their patron saint , that fat scumbag , buddy Ryan fired directly after the game.

Love that game. Joe Gibbs , along with their other CLASS coaches of that division at that time, did not like buddy Ryan. Ryan was beloved in philly and for good reason, he was a dirty scumbag of a coach, which appealed to their fanbase. He ran off the field after the game, didn't even have the guts to shake hands with gibbs and that was the end of their little story.

not very creative, but in the 1991 Super Bowl when Skins breaking out the no huddle against the no huddle Bills was so genius and so ballsy.   I remember thinking, holy crap.  

I wish Jay would do something just out of the freaking ordinary against the Hawks. 

not very creative, but in the 1991 Super Bowl when Skins breaking out the no huddle against the no huddle Bills was so genius and so ballsy.   I remember thinking, holy crap.  

I wish Jay would do something just out of the freaking ordinary against the Hawks. 

Like holding and illegal contact from our DB's?  I think we'd set a record for penalties in the first quarter, but I like thinking outside the box, so I'm game.

Archived