Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

Robert Griffin has 17 interceptions in his career. Kirk Cousins has 15 interceptions in his career RGIII has started in 30 games Kirk has started 6.

Lets extend this. If the INT rate were to remain constant then Kirk would throw 75 INTs over 30 games started. Why does Kirk Cousins have such a penchant for throwing picks?

There's a reason people call him Rex. He trusts his arm too much and tries to make plays himself too much. That's what people complain about with Robert but to a different extent. With Robert, it makes him more likely to take off with his legs to create something. With Kirk it makes him more likely to try to force a pass instead of just taking what the defense gives him. In particular, because he had a stretch of good games / series, his confidence was probably at an all time high, making him believe that he could make throws that he really couldn't. He was due for a coming back to earth.

Maybe when he is reading the field, the late guy he is finding, he simply has not read the play long enough to know which option the WR is going to take, has not fully read the speed of the DB closing; just does not have enough time to fully access the INT risk. And as so many QBs seem to be told to do, he is just gunning it.

And of course, Rex-n-effects "mentoring" him for 2 years.

This is a result of Defensive coordinator taking away what you like to do.

When I saw Kirk in the last 2 games, I was skeptical. Some of those throws (although nice) were very close in double coverage.

If I saw it from my Samsung, you better believe the team saw it on film and keyed in on it.

Robert Griffin has 17 interceptions in his career. Kirk Cousins has 15 interceptions in his career RGIII has started in 30 games Kirk has started 6.

Lets extend this. If the INT rate were to remain constant then Kirk would throw 75 INTs over 30 games started. Why does Kirk Cousins have such a penchant for throwing picks?

Ridiculous, your as bad as the people massively over valuing cousins over the past two games. You're yet another poster so biased and agenda driven that desperately cling to dishonesty, misrepresentation, hyperbole, and exaggeration to make your point all while tearing down one of our players to raise up your chosen.

If you only want to talk about "games started" then you should only count interceptions that Cousins has thrown then. That would be 11. Still not good, but let's be consistent on how you're evaluating. If you want to count all 15, then you should be comparing "games played"

Furthermore, the "extend it out" thing with such a small sample size is as ridiculous here as it was last week with cousins. It's as ridiculous to expect him to have 5 interceptions every two weeks as it is to expect him to have 5 touchdowns every two weeks. This kind of lazy, hyperbolic analysis using small sample sizes to make your biased point is ridiculous.

Cousins has a HORRIBLE game. Last week he had a very good game. Neither singularly define him going forward or represent an absolute example of what he's capable of.

Because he's just a bad quarterback to anybody with a pair of eyes. He was in college, he was last year, and he is this year.

God after this week if I never hear someone justify their position on the backs of a "pair of eyes" I could die happy

Doesn't matter if its games played or games started 15 Interceptions is horrible at his rate. Its almost as if we are rolling the dice he could have a horrible game or he could throw for 3 ints, one thing we know for sure hes a turnover magnet. If RG3 throws for 4 ints in a game let alone an division rival I am sure you would be giving him all kinds of hell.

It doesn't concern me so much that a QB with less than a half season of playing experience throws too many INTs. What points to probable bust is that his performance invariably degrades in the 2nd half. To me this indicates an inability to adjust and a lack of the "it" factor to win when the game is on the line.

Andrew Luck threw too many INTs his rookie year, but also made a number of 4th qtr comebacks. Eli makes some boneheaded errors, but is better than his brother when it comes to pulling out a last minute win. Cousins, by contrast, is a terrible 2nd half QB.

Cousins has a HORRIBLE game. Last week he had a very good game. Neither singularly define him going forward or represent an absolute example of what he's capable of.

God after this week if I never hear someone justify their position on the backs of a "pair of eyes" I could die happy

If Riverboat's post bothers you ... YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE. That's what you do here. 

If your faith, confidence, and outlook on Kirk was not seriously shaken after last night, you have to watch that game again.  I don't need to see another snap to know/feel that much. While last night did not "singularly define" him, i'll say this, it's did a hell of a job trying. 

Kirk's propensity for not just the interception, but the ugly interception and the waves of interceptions is undeniable and his rate of INT's is just horrible. 

Riverboat pulled some pretty good stats that show a pretty amazing difference between the two guys, no need to kill him like you did. 

If Riverboat's post bothers you ... YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE. That's what you do hear.

Yes, poor arguments, flawed logic, and hyperbolic filled rants that are pure over reactions bother me. If you don't like people pointing out those things then perhaps you're in the wrong place.

If your faith, confidence, and outlook on Kirk was not seriously shaken after last night, you have to watch that game again.

And where in the world did I ever suggest that.

You do realize that suggesting someone shouldn't misrepresent information or use flawed logic does not equate to saying Kirk was goood last night, right?

Kirk played HORRIBLE last night (Hmm, I feel like I said that before. Like, in the post you quoted). It iddn't significantly "shake" my outlook any more than the eagles game significantly "solidified" my outlook.

I generally still look at Cousins in the same way....a young QB with room to grow that shows signs that he can be a legitimate starter but also has a number of troubling issues that can ruin a game. Essentially, a Rex Grossman type with the potential to be closer to an Andy Dalton type due to believing he has a mental edge over Grossman. He's got the skills to have some very good games like the last two weeks, but also has the judgement/physical limitations that can lead to collapses like this.

No, Riverboat ABSOLUTELY needs to be killed. If his argument was strong he wouldn't have been so dishonest about it. You don't pull out a stat for EVERY GAME Kirk is playing in and then only comment about games he started in. That's a dishonest means of measurement. You don't ignorantly extrapolate out a huge sample size as an almost certainty based on a small sample size. It was ridiculous to do so when people were suggesting that you should extrapolate 5 TD's to 1 Interception out over a year....and it's ridiculous suggesting you extrapolate 11 picks over 6 games out to 30. That's not "pretty good" stats...that's lazy, biased, laughable stat reporting.

Kirk has an issue with turn overs. Absolutely. I've never claimed otherwise. However over reacting to a 4 Int / 5 turnover game as if that's the standard for him is ridiculous. It's far and away the worst game he's had. It's twice as many Interceptions as he's ever thrown as a starter in teh NFL. To act like he's going to just have a 4 int game on a regular basis is as laughable as expecting him to have 400 yard games on a regular basis.

I'll say it again.

Riverboat is no better and no different than the biased, agenda driven, unrealistic posters of the past two weeks that were declaring with great certainty that Cousins has elite potential talent, is our future franchise, that those two games would represent a typical game for him extrapolated out over a season, etc. Riverboat is just going to over the top hyperbolic while cherry picking stats in the opposite direction for his own different biased and agenda driven desires.

Kirk is very good at throwing to a pre determined route spot and very accurate, better than RGIII maybe. But if he gets pressure or receivers do not get open he is no good at extending a play or at making something happen. RGIII excels at this. He played against bad defenses and was able to go through his progressions and make accurate throws. But last night he played against a solid D that brought pressure and he is not very good with that. Now all defenses know how to game plan for him. He is a good backup but has a long way to go. Christening him the next Peyton Manning was a very foolish assumption for a lot of people on this board.

No doubt about it, Cousins had a bad game. A ****ty game. A poor game.

Just like every other QB here or on any other team has had.

I didn't think he would come close to last week's performance, but sitting down, I watched different players, and found out a few similar things with Cousins and Griffin.

1. O-line outside of Trent is pitiful. Run blocking is fair at best, but pass protection is non-existant. The sack-fumble on Cousins in the 1st, Polumbus got out hustled, out witted, and over-powered. This happened most of the night; he looks lost out there.

2. WRs Garcon and Jackson were negated, and no one else stepped up to the plate. Was it me, or did I see WRs not running crisp routes? Quite a few times, it looked like they were jogging their routes; Gibbs harped on selling your route as if you're getting the ball.

I'm not defending Cousins, hey, he made mistakes; these are some of the same problems that Griffin faced.  And i'm not placing blame on either of them, its a team game, and yes Cousins was the starter, so he should rightfully catch blame, but this is a serious coaching issue. Griffin caught blame when he started, and its fair for Cousins to take the same, but it doesn't mean that either of these 2 QBs are the problem, but when you're down 30+ points, it does alter the gameplan, and he did just what griffin would have done; try and put the team on his back, and its just not possible, it takes a team.

I forget what NFL writer I was listening to, but he said something made sense. Some QBs throw their guys open, some QBs throw to an open guy.

If you throw to the open guy, you need to have an insane arm. Cutler throws to the open guy. Kaepernick does. I think Eli does to some degree though I think he actually makes his reads before doing it. (Cutler just waits for one of his monster receivers to box out a defenisve back and wings it and then takes a drag on a cigarette).

RGIII probably does this.

I think Cousins may do this to some degree. But he doesn't have the kind of arm to get away with it. He is at his best when the guy comes up right away. Because he does not hesitate and is accurate. We really is great at hit TEs on seam routes and anything involving a bootleg. And if he gets time, he will hit that long drag route to Jackson constantly.

The rest of the time, I think he is late and late throws get intercepted. Especially if you don't have a howitzer on your shoulder.

Granted, I'm not very smart when it comes to quarterbacking and am just making stuff up.....

Probably should give the guy a few more games before dismissing him outright.

Why? It only take 1 game for our fair weather headcoach to throw RG3 under the bus and quit on him. Kirk has had way more than enough opportunities / games / starts under his belt to prove that he can be a starter in this league and he has proven the exact opposite. He is not a starter. He's a backup. At best. This is RG3's team and if Jay doesn't realize that RG3 is going to be the best QB he can be by letting him play the way he wants to play instead of forcing him to be a pocket passer then Jay needs to go, plain and simple. Look at Seattle, Pete Carroll isn't as stupid as Jay is, they use the zone read option a lot, they let Wilson run and do his thing. RG3 did that his rookie year and we absolutely dominated. Don't give me this crap that he needs to become a pocket passer, that's horse****. He doesn't. Let him do his thing.

Frankly, I think some of it is the o-line.  He's looking to unload the ball just before getting hit.  A lot of that seemed to happen yesterday.  The pressure was coming.  He thought... that must mean one on one deep and just heaved it as far as he could somewhere in the vicinity of where the deep receiver might be.

Why? It only take 1 game for our fair weather headcoach to throw RG3 under the bus and quit on him. Kirk has had way more than enough opportunities / games / starts under his belt to prove that he can be a starter in this league and he has proven the exact opposite. He is not a starter. He's a backup. At best. This is RG3's team and if Jay doesn't realize that RG3 is going to be the best QB he can be by letting him play the way he wants to play instead of forcing him to be a pocket passer then Jay needs to go, plain and simple. Look at Seattle, Pete Carroll isn't as stupid as Jay is, they use the zone read option a lot, they let Wilson run and do his thing. RG3 did that his rookie year and we absolutely dominated. Don't give me this crap that he needs to become a pocket passer, that's horse****. He doesn't. Let him do his thing.

I rarely post but Nuwanda you are spot on. This whole "pocket passer" BS needs to stop! When RGIII is healthy Gruden needs to adjust his scheme to complement RGIII's style of play. Period.

Archived