Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sky is Falling Thread

MusicCitySkin

Beat the Pukes twice?  Nobody gives a **** about that.  Hell, we just want to win ONE game.  Never understood Redskin fans mentality that somehow beating Dallass twice gives the season a mulligan.  Bull****.  I'd rather go 14-2 AND LOSE to Dallass twice and then to go 2-14 and beat them twice.  Priorities.  Who cares about Dallass.  We need to right our own ship.

The ship has sunk, been blown to bits, burned, and had the ashes pissed on.

All pros are the best at their position. While they are talented, I don't think anyone would be able to argue that any of them are the best at the position. Garçon is the closest but I don't think you can quite put him on that top shelf level

How about Morris and DJax then?  Morris was actually voted to the second team all pro in 2012. Thats not all pro talent?

Not trying to argue semantics with you, but I don't think its fair to insinuate Trent is the only top tier player on the team.

4 games is all it took this year huh?

These threads get earlier and earlier with every passing season.

Hail.

I'm usually pretty level-headed and optimistic, but can you blame the fan base? With very few exceptions, these threads have been proven to be spot-on by the time the season ends. Other than 2012, 2007, and 2005....the seasons were essentially over when the fans called it early on. 

I know you know the facts and are a knowledgeable fan, but let that sink in...in 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, and 2000 we had nothing to play for by the time December rolled around. That's 11 times in the past 14 years where we barely got to Thanksgiving with any kind of hope of having a season. 

Even in the 3 "successful" seasons during that stretch, it took winning streaks of 7, 4, and 5 games just to make the playoffs. 

This team is broken.

I'm not saying we're anywhere near as good, but remember in the Super Bowl the Broncos got their behinds handed to them.  But are they as bad as they looked in that game?  Not at all, not even close.  It would be great to even make it to a Super Bowl again, but I believe I have a valid point.  At one point in the game, the entire Giants lead all came from turning the ball over.  Many of those unforced.  I honestly don't see how the Giants are any better than the Eagles. 

As I said before, our defense looks pretty good with the offense eating the clock and scoring points.  Very few defenses perform well when stuck out there most of the game.  The problem with most of the picks wasn't miscommunication, but poor decisions.  Throwing the ball into double coverage, holding the ball too long when Garçon was open a second earlier, so on and so forth.  The issue with not throwing to receivers in stride, like Cousins was supposedly so good at.  Not bashing him though, because we STILL have no idea how his career will end up.

It was the first game I turned off before the ending in years.  But I'm going to tune in next week with the belief that we can win this.  

Seriously, for most teams the season is over when the starting qb is injured.  We're lucky to have had a couple good games from the backup.  Maybe we'll get a couple more.  We're not the 2008 Patriots.  But they lost week 3 to Miami, 38-13 almost as bad as this game.  

I'm usually pretty level-headed and optimistic, but can you blame the fan base? .....

Yup, I really can being as most of the same posters we're ridiculously expecting a winning season.

If expectations had been tempered to realism and not built off meaningless, half baked exhibition games, then people wouldn't be running riot now.

But I'm just about to sit down and address that so I'll that here.

Hail.

This team HAS talent. We have excellent receivers a very good (if fragile) receiving TE. We have a franchise LT and a pro bowl RB. We have great potential at QB in RGIII (yes really) and at worst a good backup in Cousins. On defense we have a good linebacking group and potential at corner in Amerson and Breeland.

The problem is that the holes and issues we have are stopping us capitalizing on the talent we have. O'Line is a big issue and it's not surprise to anyone. We drafted a couple of players but they need time to step up - that time might be now. D'Line is good if Hatcher and Cofield stay healthy - but they are hurt or knicked up at least and not getting younger.

This is about where I stand, but MartinC beat me to it.  I s'pose its natural to scream bloody murder after such a disaster, but in taking a step back, we can see the circumstances for what they are:

- Injuries have hallowed out our roster.  Name me a team that can Win ballgames having suffered injuries to their Starting QB, LT, TE, G, DE, NG, & CB?  That's including key guys that we simply can't lose.  How can we expect to have any reasonable shot at success with (seemingly) half of our lineup on the shelf?

- Turnovers KILL.  5 TURNOVERS will doom any team.

- We don't have the depth/talent/experience in our Defensive Backfield to be competitive with anyone right now.  A weakness going into the season is a glaring hole presently (of course a Veteran Quarterback would take advantage of it). 

We just have to take it and hope against hope that something starts going our way. A good start would be not having anymore body bag games. We don't have the depth. The way this team operates, I wouldn't be surprised if Kirk light up the Seahawks just to mess with us. Hail

I agree with this.  We had 17(!) players on the Injury Report going into a short week.  The margin for error was infintesimal.  And THEN the Backup turns the ball over.  That equals a loss.

But its a long season (and YES, each season tells a different story).  Yes, the team is starting slow, there's no way to sugarcoat that.  But let's see how they respond from here.

If we're 2 games under .500 by the time RGIII is healthy, then we've got a shot.

To be fair, if Philly had the type of injuries we have they would struggle too.  But here is my thing, I was saying this before the game last night.  Kirk is an entirely different QB under constant pressure from the defense.  You shouldn't even count the Jacksonville game as far as his play and stats go... Jon Beck would've made that team look like swiss cheese.  Against Philly our offensive line won the trenches battle and kept Kirk safe and a clean pocket to throw from.  Even more so then RGIII, I think Kirk needs a solid offensive line to be an quality starter for an entire season.  He will show flashes like he has, but he will also have games regularly like the one last night once he plays a team with excellent pass rushers.

There was a comment made during the game last night that frightens the hell out of me.  The Jaguar game we had 10 sacks.  For the entire season, we have 10 sacks.  I think we all got fooled into thinking our Dline/LBs were better then we thought.  Hurry back Barry Cofield, we need more depth on the dline!

I still want to believe that (outside of OL) our offense is still relatively OK... I can honestly give Cousins ONE pass for such a terrible game. Maybe he was completely flustered being that it was a divisional game at home, and our defense couldn't stop a granny on a tricycle. On that note, goodness... that was the most pathetic display/attempt at stopping another professional team that I have ever seen. Special teams is still just shocking. I can't even express what's going on with them.

Yup, I really can being as most of the same posters we're ridiculously expecting a winning season.

If expectations had been tempered to realism and not built off meaningless, half baked exhibition games, then people wouldn't be running riot now.

Hail.

To put any "blame" on the fan base for this mess is absolutely ridiculous, as is the "logic" that they "ridiculously" expected a winning season.

Is it "ridiculous" to at least expect NOT to be humiliated once again on national television by a division rival? Same point spread as the Eagle debacle from a few years back, btw. Is it "ridiculous" to expect to be competitive week in and week out, to have a special teams unit that is at least "average," to have a defensive coordinator that adjust during the course of a game?

Ridiculous.

Hail.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily mad that we aren't going to win 10 games or a division title. I'm annoyed that we perpetually struggle to do basic things, come up very small in big spots, show no discipline, continue to commit penalties, etc. 

You can be a work-in-progress without completely crapping yourself every time you play a relatively big game. 

To put any "blame" on the fan base for this mess is absolutely ridiculous, as is the "logic" that they "ridiculously" expected a winning season.

Is it "ridiculous" to at least expect NOT to be humiliated once again on national television by a division rival? Same point spread as the Eagle debacle from a few years back, btw. Is it "ridiculous" to expect to be competitive week in and week out, to have a special teams unit that is at least "average," to have a defensive coordinator that adjust during the course of a game?

Ridiculous.

If you expected a winning season from a first time pro HC, inheriting a complete mess of a team coming off a 3 win season; then colour me 'ridiculous' for thinking you're that far past ridiculous insanity just said hello.

Hail.

Yeah I really think our front office needs a top to bottom cleaning. While Shanahan may be responsible for the poor personnel decisions of the past few seasons, I wasn't exactly tickled pink with Allen's drafting in 2014.  Murphy is a very average pass rushing linebacker on a team with enough average pass rushers and not enough average guys in the secondary.  The jury is out on Moses and Long, of course, but I just don't get good vibes from Allen or his scouts.  We just have not had quality front office guys who know how to build the foundation of a team.  

I think Haslett has made our defensive deficiencies worse than they already are. I'm not sure what he sees out there, but this is not a team that gets enough pressure with a 4 man front to play straight up defense with no smoke and mirrors. No stunts, almost no blitzes, never made Manning guess where the pressure was coming from.  Not sure if any of you saw Manning's interview, but he basically said the Redskins played a vanilla defense that made his job easy. It was almost like Haslett was scared stiff of NY's wideouts (not sure why), because we certainly didn't give Riley any help covering the TE.  Why play nickel backs doing nothing when you can at least send a guy after the QB.  I remember one play when Riley looked like he might rush and then kind of stopped and watched Jennings break free into the flat, in other words neither rushed nor covered the back.  Fortunately Manning overthrew a wide open receiver.  But it was clear to me that Haslett was BADLY out-coached last night; it wasn't all about personnel or injuries.  

Swear, if I live to see another Redskins Super Bowl, I will watch until that reign is over. But after that, Im retiring from football. Or at least, I'm taking a HUGE step back and down grading to being a casual fan at best. Being a super DIE HARD fan, following each and every move we do is going to stop. I've invested way too much time, money and passion into this franchise.  Im not asking to win a Super Bowl every year, but for the love of God, be competitive.

Iono, I may stop before we get a Super Bowl. If that miracle even ever happens again.

If you expected a winning season from a first time pro HC, inheriting a complete mess of a team coming off a 3 win season; then colour me 'ridiculous' for thinking you're that far past ridiculous insanity just said hello.

Hail.

I personally don't expect a first time hc, inheriting a mess of a team to have a winning season.

I do expect a team that spent three first round picks on the second comin of Jesus three seasons ago to get something right, anything. We have the same defensive coordinator, but his defense sucks. We keep changing st coaches and st sucks. We can't get one damn thing right. Not one. How many coaching changes and first round picks do we need to get anything, anything at all right?

We're conditioned to be embarrassed on national tv. Sports blogs like Deadspin aren't even making fun of us this morning because it's low hanging fruit. We're not even worth mentioning as a pathetic team, with pathetic outcomes, because that's how pathetic we are.

Hail.

It's only insanity if you're a Redskins fan (and thus, nothing will ever go right for your team). 

2012 Philadelphia Eagles - 4-12

Hires Chip Kelly, rookie NFL head coach

2013 - 10-6, wins division

2005 New Orleans Saints - 3-13

Hires Sean Payton, rookie NFL head coach

2006 - 10-6, wins division, wins divisional playoff game,

It's only insanity if you're a Redskins fan (and thus, nothing will ever go right for your team). 

2012 Philadelphia Eagles - 4-12

Hires Chip Kelly, rookie NFL head coach

2013 - 10-6, wins division

2005 New Orleans Saints - 3-13

Hires Sean Payton, rookie NFL head coach

2006 - 10-6, wins division, wins divisional playoff game,

Yeah other teams can do it every so often. But we're the Redskins. We make the playoffs every 5 years or so and get knocked out early and then we're right back to 5-11. I keep thinking that one day being a Redskins fan will pay off but it never has. 1999 and 2012 are the best teams I've seen.

4-12 team is what they are.

Even with all the mistakes it was a 10 point game WITH the ball late in the 3rd.

What happened after was essentially symbolic. No excuse for another primetime bomb but is it really a surprise? What about them before last night made you think they were gonna do anything this year? One sloppy close LOSS at Philly, woo ******* hoo. Let them win back to back games first, then we can pull out the old Bandwagon.

Cousins played historically horrible and the corners are really bad (on their way to good? who knows?). Maybe they can find respectable again but it would be against the teams best interest. You don't improve in this league by being mediocre. You need to **** and **** hard to get high first rounders to turn your team around.

I still want to believe that (outside of OL) our offense is still relatively OK... I can honestly give Cousins ONE pass for such a terrible game. Maybe he was completely flustered being that it was a divisional game at home, and our defense couldn't stop a granny on a tricycle. On that note, goodness... that was the most pathetic display/attempt at stopping another professional team that I have ever seen. Special teams is still just shocking. I can't even express what's going on with them.

You got me with granny on a tricycle. I needed a good laugh thanks man.

Archived