Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins-Giants: 4 Keys To The Game

I don't know how much STs will get fixed in four days but I am thinking not much. Cut Kia and take Hocker back; at least for the short term. MS would've dumped Kia after week 1. Clanking that 33 yarder last week was inexcusable - Way could have put it through from there.

Defense should get a nice rebound against the GMen. Manning always seems to be on the run and you can always count on him for at least one turnover.

Offense should get a better run game. Eagles have a good run D and average pass D. Giants are the opposite.

PENALTIES are out of hand. Although against the Giants and having some fresh faces in there not too sure that we will see much improvement. Hopefully nothing that costs the game.

I actually think Andrews 4 keys were much better than they have been.

Having said that, I am 100% in agreement with Jahnsbass, especially kicking Kai to the curb (pun intended). Yes the missed FG sucked, but the short KOs are killing us. Honestly this was my point during TC when I wanted Hocker then.

Penalties are definitely a problem. One thought though, the # of penalties have been about even fro both teams. How much is us and how much is it the refs being penalty crazy. Not saying we don't have a problem. We still havew to reduce them, especially the bonehead penalties like Baker on that shot to Foles amoung others.  

I really think we can get pressure on eli and he will cough up a few fur balls. I like us in this game ubt like all divisional games it will be close.

HTTR!!   

"....especially the bonehead penalties like Baker on that shot to Foles amoung others."

Dude, that was a completely LEGAL hit, then and now. It was called because it looked bad and sparked an emotional response. Foles was hit in the chest with a shoulder while the ball was still in play, cheap shot or not, it was legal. The refs should have to pay fines when game shifting things like player disqualifications occur. The NFL owes it to the fans to call fair games, just because a hit makes a hipster cringe and spill his latte doesn't make it illegal.

When will the owners step up and do something about this? It's one thing to pull a 5 yard hit on a team for upsetting the fragile emotions of referees, but it's another thing all together when games are decided by the guys in black and white, not the players on the field.

Reviewed the game last night and noticed the announcers say the officiating crew had called the most penalties thru 3 games. There were 3 on the offense, rest were on defense. What surprises me is 0 sacks and there were no holding calls on the oline. Cousins actually looked like he had alot of time back there, much like the opposing qbs the last few years because of our inept pass rush. I think Cousins makes the olines job easier because they know where he is...right there in the pocket!

The NFL has decreed that Chris Baker's hit on Foles was legal and there would be no suspension. Well no ****! Why couldn't the refs on the field see that or at least go back and review it? Idiotic!!!!

The key to the game is not to make mistakes (penalties and missed assignments) and fix the Special Teams problems that have been a big part (if not the only reason) of both losses.

I don't know if the hit on Foles was legal, but it was dumb; and dumb is not a way to win football games.

Another subject, the high school, Westlake, that my son went to has 2 QBs in the NFL - Foles & Brees, that is a good average for one high school.

"....especially the bonehead penalties like Baker on that shot to Foles amoung others." Dude, that was a completely LEGAL hit, then and now. It was called because it looked bad and sparked an emotional response. Foles was hit in the chest with a shoulder while the ball was still in play, cheap shot or not, it was legal. The refs should have to pay fines when game shifting things like player disqualifications occur. The NFL owes it to the fans to call fair games, just because a hit makes a hipster cringe and spill his latte doesn't make it illegal. When will the owners step up and do something about this? It's one thing to pull a 5 yard hit on a team for upsetting the fragile emotions of referees, but it's another thing all together when games are decided by the guys in black and white, not the players on the field.

Let's be clear, I did not say it was illegal. I honestly thought it could be interpreted as illegal the way the rules are written but I am very glad they ruled the other way. 

But that does not make it a smart play. As THEY said, illegal or not, it's a dumb play. You are giving the refs a chance to call something when it's just not needed. We need to be smarter than that. 

Only one key to the game- continue shutting down the run with our #1 rated rush D. The only reason the Giants had success last week was because they ran the ball 40 times against the leagues worst rated rush D. The Giants have the 10th rated rush D and 31st rated pass D. When you've faced the Lions, Cards (w/o Palmer), and Texans and your pass D is 31st, you are flat-out bad. Would love to go a game without special teams gaffes, but this will be a game we can afford one... Double digit win for Skins.

As it's been said...Chris Bakers hit on Nick Foles was legal, definitely not the smartest play, but Holy Moly it was entertaining as hell. If we had won because Foles didn't play well after that hit we would be raising Baker's big butt on our shoulders for a lap around the field. I like these guys who have a nasty streak, he should have not been ejected from the game...failure on the refs.

@goskins10

Hitting a QB whenever you get the chance is part of this game believe it or not. You hit a QB not to hurt the guy, but to sting him and make him nervous. You don't ask your dog nicely to stay out of the trash, you wack it's nose with a paper to teach it. Football is not just a game of X's and O's, it also includes human weakness and strength exploitation. If you get a good hit in on a pocket QB he may hurry his reads as his confidence in his O-line diminishes. If you get a good hit on a running QB he may skip his reads and just run when his hot read isn't there(RG3). A good hit can shut receivers down too, remember how many wide-outs pull their hands in when Sean Taylor would run at them? Football isn't a game for the faint of heart or body, it is a league of large men who try to force their will on other large men.

@goskins10 Hitting a QB whenever you get the chance is part of this game believe it or not. You hit a QB not to hurt the guy, but to sting him and make him nervous. You don't ask your dog nicely to stay out of the trash, you wack it's nose with a paper to teach it. Football is not just a game of X's and O's, it also includes human weakness and strength exploitation. If you get a good hit in on a pocket QB he may hurry his reads as his confidence in his O-line diminishes. If you get a good hit on a running QB he may skip his reads and just run when his hot read isn't there(RG3). A good hit can shut receivers down too, remember how many wide-outs pull their hands in when Sean Taylor would run at them? Football isn't a game for the faint of heart or body, it is a league of large men who try to force their will on other large men.

I don't disagree. But it was still just not a smart play. There was too much to risk. It as way out in the open right in front of a ref. He was virtually daring the ref to make a call. Sorry I just disagree. You need to think about the team and the circumstances. Having said that, I still believe he felt it was retaliation for the horribly missed call the series before when they planted Cousins on that delay of game penalty. 

@ Manchild, I will agree it was fun as hell to watch (sorry, ran out of likes). Those type of "he had no idea what is bout to happen" hits are awesome. I am glad the league saw it as legal. Based on the rule interpretation, they could have gone either way. It seems we always get the wrong side of the call. Maybe with Troy Vincent it will be more level.

BTW: I am pretty sure he got tossed for the fight, not the hit. I agree it's a failure on their part. You know the refs don't have the Nads to just penalize one team. So they were going to be offsetting, and both teams would lose someone. Peters had to go. He was an idiot out there. Reminded me of the fight in Detroit where Stephen Jackson went into the stands after Artest and started throwing haymakers. 

Eli doesn't take a lot of sacks but it isn't due to great protection. He runs out from a collapsing  pocket and tosses up mistakes. Skins have to pressure him and take advantage. This year - 5 TDs but 4 Ints to go with it. He isn't going to throw for 300 yards unless the game goes into double overtime.

DeSean has owned the Giants. Gotta feed him the rock. 

Run it. Early and often. Giants do not have much in the way of run defense.

Overall, the skins offense is at least close to the two teams (Lions, Cards) the Giants have lost to. And those games were not close. Skins can get after the QB at least as well as the Lions. Skins also have the #3 run defense. They just need to stay within their game.

Archived