Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Gruden, Cousins, Coughlin, Cruz quotes & Injury Report

TK

September 23, 2014

Redskins Park

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On if the team could be 3-0 without a couple of mistakes:

"Yeah you could say that about offense and defense also along [with] special teams. This really is coach-speak but it’s a team game and offense like I said, had their share in the Houston game and our share of problems in Philadelphia. Same with the defense and same with special teams. There's a lot we can correct, but like I said before, there's a lot of good things that we're doing based on the numbers. Statistics I've learned a long time ago don’t mean squat unless you're winning. I'd rather be last in everything and 3-0 than first or second, so we have got some work to do but obviously we can see progression and that's good."

On facing the New York Giants and playing on Thursday night:

"Anytime you play against Eli [Manning], you're going to have yourself a battle. Victor Cruz, they got a very good offense there. They're introducing a new offensive scheme and usually that takes a little bit of time and you can see that they're progressing at a pretty good clip right now. They started out a little bit slow in the preseason and now they're starting to get familiar with the terminology, the hand signals and all that and they're starting to gain confidence and momentum, which isn’t a good sign for the other teams. Playing Thursday night, I made that statement yesterday, it's rough on everybody but the good news for the players is [that]  they get Monday off, they get Tuesday, we walk through Wednesday, they walk through and they play Thursday so their body should be somewhat regrouped by then, you know what I mean?"

On having the spotlight of a Thursday game at home:

"Yeah, that's exciting. It's a home game and we make a big deal about our home games and it's a division game, and we're both 1-2 so it’s a huge game for both of us. I know Coach [Tom] Coughlin is going to have his team ready. We're going to have our team ready, but this a very important game.  You fall too far behind the 8-ball this early in the season, it's going to be tough sledding and we're already behind the 8-ball at 1-2. The team that goes to 1-3 is not out of it by any stretch but it's going to be a lot harder than if you're 2-2. So we know the importance of this game – all division games are important, they're all rivalries – and we’ve got to get after it."

On the injury report:

"[shawn] Lauvao is the only one that downgraded. Everybody else stayed the same. He did not participate today. He had some swelling, a little bit more swelling today, so we'll get a check on him tomorrow, see if it goes down and we'll declare him tomorrow afternoon."

On if cornerback Tracy Porter could play Thursday:

"Yeah, could be. You know, he's done a lot of running that last couple of days and now it's just a matter of how he feels the next day and only he can tell us. I’m sure he'll be honest about it. I know he's champing at the bit to get back on the field but we probably rushed him last time and he re-pulled it, so we just have got to be really careful with him and he's got to be honest with us and if he's ready we'll get him out there. We need him."

On quarterback Kirk Cousins facing a short week:

"A short week is more mental preparation than anything and it would be nice to go outside and throw the passes you're going to throw in the game or work on the patterns and the pass concepts you're going to see against the defenses you're thinking you’re going to see, but we're in the bubble right now and going through walkthrough so it's a little bit different tempo I'd say than come Thursday night. But he's doing a good job and that's all we can do – just watch the tape, study the game plan and get yourself mentally prepared and come [Thursday] night hopefully it all clicks for you but he's done a nice job."

On his first short week as a head coach:

"It's hectic, you know? We prepped for the Giants in the offseason because we knew this was coming and the defense did their work – obliviously worked on Green Bay’s offense and we did our work based on what the Giants did last year and Coach [Perry] Fewell and Coach Coughlin. So, we have got a little bit of history with them obviously, so that's good. At least it’s not a brand new opponent with a brand new scheme we haven't seen – at least we've seen these guys. They've seen them twice – Sean McVay has been here, Chris Foerster – so we've got a pretty good general idea about their system. Now it’s a matter of getting plays installed Monday morning and getting players out there and practicing them… That's the same thing. We're going through the same process, we just have got to do it a lot faster. You have got to watch film a little bit faster, you have got to go through the plays a little bit faster, you have got to write down the plays faster. Yeah, it's tough. I'm a little jittery right now. I've had 17 cups of coffee [laughter]."

On guards Shawn Lauvao and Josh LeRibeus:

"He [LeRibeus] has been ready. Josh came in, he was in great shape. We got Shawn in the free agency, gave him an opportunity, and it was a very close battle. LeRibeus did a great job in training camp, kept his weight down and played well, so he's ready to go. I'm not concerned about Josh and his being ready to go.”

On holding Philadelphia without a sack:

“You know, that goes hand in hand, that goes hand in hand with the quarterback and the offensive line and receivers for that matter. The first game of the year we had three sacks, two of them were on the quarterback. But sometimes the quarterback saves the line, sometimes the line saves the quarterback. So, it’s hard to judge an offensive line on sack production. Sometimes the quarterback is throwing it so quick it's impossible to get sacked. Overall, I was very pleased with the offensive line’s protection, their calls. Kory [Lichtensteiger] had another outstanding game as far as that's concerned. Chris Chester continued to play well, obviously, Trent's [Williams] a good solid left tackle for us, blocking Trent Cole, one of the best pass rushers in the game and Tyler did a nice job. Overall, the communication has been excellent and the protection was very good and Kirk was also very good."

On history between Redskins Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett and Giants Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo and if it will give either team an advantage:

“Yeah, I think it’s overrated. They know each other. They can go out to a restaurant and have dinner and know each other's kids names but they don’t know what play is coming. Schematically, yeah I get you. That is the same thing. It’s an over front, it’s what type of coverages they like to play, but there’s always those sprinkle-ins that you are not sure of – the formations that Coach McAdoo will come up with or what have you. He is going to put a new wrinkle on some part of the game that we haven’t seen yet. But you are right, being familiar with that style of offense can make it easier for a defensive coordinator and also for an offensive coordinator, but you still have got to go out there and produce. You’ve got to call plays and make them work."

On if the team has signed anyone from the practice squad to the active roster:

“No, just Chase [Minnifield], just Chase. We are going to give it another couple hours here and see the injury report again and talk to the trainers and go from there."

Quarterback Kirk Cousins

On his thoughts of last week’s game after reviewing film:

“I thought we did a lot of good things. I liked that we put up a lot of points, put up a lot of yards, made a lot of plays, didn’t take any sacks. At the same time, you don’t like the turnover, you don’t like how we finished in crunch time, how I finished in crunch time. But, we’ll learn from it and get better. The key is when you go through those experiences is to try to make sure when you get in situations in the future like that, you don’t let them happen again.”

On if the Eagles’ defensive front did anything specific to make him uncomfortable:

“No, I don’t think so. I think any time you move the ball as much as we did and make as many big plays as we did, I don’t think they made us too uncomfortable. But, certainly there were a couple plays here and there where if you could have them back, you wish you could do them over again.”

On what he learned in crunch time:

“I think more than anything it just takes good preparation, good attention to detail and just having a good understanding of where guys are going to be and where you need to be and the timing of plays. Like I said, I haven’t gone through that experience now. Now I’ve been there before and get a better understanding of plays, coverages, protections, fronts, pocket movements – all the stuff that makes up a great quarterback.”

On if one of his incompletions on the final drive was most frustrating:

“I think all three just because all three of them probably could have put us in field goal range and probably would have been able to move the chains. All three in different ways frustrate you and make you say, ‘Ah, I missed it.’ The key now going forward is to learn from it, prepare very hard, hammer the details so that when you get into those situations again, you get the result you want.”

On if it is helpful to have played the New York Giants previously:

“I think it gives us confidence, gives me good experience that is very valuable. I keep going back to the experience I gained this past week and how it’ll help me going forward, having played the last three games last year is a very similar theme. The experience is going to help. Is it going to make all the difference? I don’t know. It definitely will give me confidence, and hopefully it can help us get a win.”

On if any particular part of the current offense is most comfortable to him:

“Yeah, I think part of a comfort zone or what makes you at ease is if you’ve done it before. You’ve been there. It’s familiar. The fact that there was a lot of carryover in our run game and in our pass game from the last system to this system right off the bat gives us a familiarity and a comfort level with what Jay [Gruden] wants. Now, as I said through training camp, the changes that Jay has made have I think been for the better. They’ve been good changes. So while I may have to do something a little differently or make an adjustment, you can see why it’s a good adjustment – it’s going to make us better. So, I’m still picking up every week learning what he wants, and that’ll continue as long as I play for him. But, the longer we work together, the better we’re going to get, and the more we’re going to find ourselves on the same page.”

On particular adjustments made by Head Coach Jay Gruden:

“I think when you look at protections, I think he has some good ideas with protections and being able to pick up different pressures. And [you] always give yourself a chance then to get the first down or get the big play.”

On if the current scheme affords more options on third-and-short:

“I understand your point there, Chris. I’d say that it’s only been three weeks, so it’s not a lot of body of work to be able to say if we are more variable on third down and short than we were in the past. I think that Jay is an outstanding play-caller and he does a really good job of keeping defenses on their toes and always giving me as a quarterback and us as an offense a chance to be successful. Hopefully that is going to show itself in having a lot of variety on third-and-short, but at the same time a lot of the teams who are very vanilla on third down, hey, if you can just line up and everyone knows where it is going and still get the first down, those are usually the best teams. It is when you have to get all creative and wacky on third down that you’re probably saying that you don’t have the personnel to move the chains. So being vanilla isn’t the worst thing as long as you are moving the chains.”

On his preparation and how it changes on a short week:

“I have always said, I can’t run by them, I can’t throw it through them, so I have got to know where they are going to be and the only way I can do that is through good preparation. You know, it’s worked for me to this point and I need to keep doing it and I can’t get complacent as I get more and more familiar. But, in a short week, that is the challenge, especially at the quarterback position. There is a lot we have to do in only a few days and you want to make sure you get your rest and you’re well-rested come Thursday night. It’s all about time management going back to when I was a college student – they would tell you about being a good manager of your time. You still feel that way now in the pros. You’ve got to manage your time well and make sure that every second you’re in there watching film or drawing plays or talking with coaches you’re not wasting time but you are making good use of it leading up to Thursday night.”

On Thursday night games:

“It’s a great opportunity - I will answer your second question first. It is a great opportunity to be in the national spotlight and try to show this entire league what the Washington Redskins are about. So hopefully we can put on a good show and get a win. As far as my opinion on a Thursday night game, this is the first time I have actually had to play then turn around and make that short week happen, so I’m new at this. But when you didn’t take any real big hits on Sunday, selfishly, physically I don’t feel terrible. I am not the right guy to ask because I am not in a position that is getting banged every snap. But it is tough on your body and something you don’t want have to do week in and week out. The benefit, the flip side of it if you want to look at the positives is that when the game is over Thursday night we do get a couple extra days to catch up and rest and recover leading into out next game, so there is a tradeoff there.”

On if he will start to get a comfort level as the leader of this team:

“That's a great question. It is a tough dynamic to fully answer. I think that as a quarterback, if there is any doubt in the other 10 guys in the huddle looking at me that ‘Can this guy get it done for us? Can he move the ball?’ then I have already failed. So when I say that this is Robert’s team, I do not mean that I can’t step in and have an authority and make sure we move the football. But I won’t change my statement that this is Robert’s team, I still stand by that. I think that he was drafted high for a reason. He's had success here, he's done a lot of good things and he has done nothing to have that be any different. So this is his team and it’s my job as a backup on this team to hopefully when he comes back, give him a team with a good record and put him in a good spot to have success down the stretch. By no means does that say that I can't go in there as a backup and hopefully get the job done."

New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin

On quarterback Kirk Cousins:

"Five-hundred yards and 45 points in two games, I mean he certainly is playing well and you have to give the coaching staff great credit for the midfield adjust, midstream adjust that they've had to go through as you go from one quarterback to the next. But obviously, they’re playing well."

On where he feels the team stands after playing Houston:

"Well, we're making progress. We're not there, but we're making progress. We're communicating better, and we're getting ourselves in a position better. The quarterback, Eli [Manning], is doing a very good job, improving week-in and week-out with the system, with the footwork with the timing. The receivers are coming around to being on the same page, so we're making some progress."

On which quarterback is more difficult to prepare for – Cousins or Robert Griffin III:

"Both of them are outstanding players and difficult to prepare for."

On the Redskins containing Eagles running back LeSean McCoy:

"Well, they did an outstanding job from a strategy standpoint in how they went in and what their decisions were because obviously McCoy was a key – perhaps the No. 1 thing – that they decided they needed to stop. So, from that standpoint I thought they did very, very well with that. How does that affect us? Well, it depends on the idea strategically in which they wish to play and it also depends on how we intend to play in terms of personnel use, etc."

On having downhill runners and if that is his brand of football:

"Well, it's exciting. It was really exciting to see this come back to Giant football last weekend in terms of how the offensive line performed and how our tight ends and our fullbacks, etc., all contributed. But, there were some outstanding effort runs by Rashad [Jennings] and that was something to see."

On preparing during a short week:

"You obviously move on and we have a formula that we use and we followed for quite a few years, but you're talk about – when you say the short week – you're talking about moving from the emotion of the game you just played right into your preparation, and of course, you have got to be a pro about that because it is mental and you can't leave a stone unturned. I mean, you're talking about a divisional game. So, you know, we have a tendency here to adjust, midstream adjust to whatever we're confronted with, so here we go."

On if short weeks are fair to the players:

"I read what you read and I know the speculation and I'm not going to tell you it's easy. It's not easy and perhaps they are guys that could have made the game, if it was Sunday could make it, maybe. That might be the case, but nevertheless to speculate or discuss for us is really a waste of time because the game is going to be played Thursday night."

On Giants running back Rashad Jennings:

"To me, what I saw was a professional, a real professional who takes very good care of himself, the game is extremely important to him, very high priority, does all the things that he needs to do, takes care of his body very well, gets his rest, performs his training, his weight room training, etc. He catches the ball, he can pass protect, he obviously has had a very good game running the ball. So, this is what we thought we saw and we're glad he is on our team."

On Giants center J.D. Walton:

"He's a good guy. He's a very good guy. He's got a great sense of humor and we've enjoyed having him here, too."

New York Giants Wide Receiver Victor Cruz

On playing Thursday night after a short week:

“I’m excited for it, man. It’s not often we get this Thursday opportunity, but I’m as excited as you guys are, that’s for sure.”

On the transition from Kevin Gilbride to current Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo:

“I feel good about it.  As anything, when you’re learning something new, it’s a work in progress. It’s about getting your bearings, getting comfortable as you go through the offense and things like that. I think we’re hitting the point where we’re right on point, right on target with what we want to accomplish. We’ve just got to continue to put one foot in front of the other and get these victories under our belt to continue in the right direction. But, I think we’re comfortable and obviously that win against Houston, hopefully it propels us in the right direction.”

On quarterback Eli Manning’s comfort level in the offense and if he is developing the rhythm he used to have:

“Absolutely. I think the more and more practice time he gets, the more and more he sees the defenses and sees it on film and gets the live action, I think he’s getting more and more comfortable with this offense and feeling really good about what he can do. Obviously it’s been a work in progress the first couple of weeks, but I think he’s getting his bearings and he’s getting confident now.”

On how running back Rashad Jennings helps the wide receivers:

“It definitely loosens up a lot.  When he’s running the ball that way, you have no choice but to align an extra defender in the box to try to help out with the run. And that’s when play-action pass and things like that open up. It definitely just helps the whole team, and I love blocking for a guy like Rashad, who runs hard, who runs physical. That’s something I don’t have a problem with and it’s something that definitely opens things up for other receivers.”

On how much cornerback DeAngelo Hall’s injury will affect the New York Giants’ game plan:

“I think it’s going to change a lot. I think he was such a stable guy that they revolved that style of defense around him being a ball-hawk and being so intuitive to where the quarterback is going to throw the football that he can really dictate the flow of the game. I think losing him is a big blow. I hope he gets back as soon as possible with a speedy recovery. But that’s definitely a big blow for them. We’ll see what changes but we’re going to prepare as if the guy that is coming in is going to play exactly like he does.”

On the advantages of Hall being replaced by a less-experienced defender:

“Obviously, that’s something that we look at and understand, but we need to stick to our keys and stick to our fundamentals and understand that guy --- he’s got some talent as well. He wouldn’t be in the NFL if he didn’t have a little bit of talent. But we have to understand that we need discipline and understand what we’re doing in order to compete and hopefully make some plays on him.”

IR_zps171e5a4d.gif

September 23, 2014

Redskins Park

Quarterback Kirk Cousins

On Thursday night games:

“It’s a great opportunity - I will answer your second question first. It is a great opportunity to be in the national spotlight and try to show this entire league what the Washington Redskins are about. So hopefully we can put on a good show and get a win. As far as my opinion on a Thursday night game, this is the first time I have actually had to play then turn around and make that short week happen, so I’m new at this. But when you didn’t take any real big hits on Sunday, selfishly, physically I don’t feel terrible. I am not the right guy to ask because I am not in a position that is getting banged every snap. But it is tough on your body and something you don’t want have to do week in and week out. The benefit, the flip side of it if you want to look at the positives is that when the game is over Thursday night we do get a couple extra days to catch up and rest and recover leading into out next game, so there is a tradeoff there.

Now isn't that the funniest thing to hear coming from a QB playing behind what so many fans call "THE WORST OL IN THE LEAGUE"

48 passes and 0 sacks.

Seeing the Keenan Robinson shoulder injury report was a bit concerning for me.

We are just incredibly beat up. Not sure how many nfl teams could survive losing a starting QB, LG (likely at this point), CB, TE and still have hope about winning

Credit to our front office for some depth

We are just incredibly beat up. Not sure how many nfl teams could survive losing a starting QB, LG (likely at this point), CB, TE and still have hope about winning

Credit to our front office for some depth

Yeah I said the same thing in the sports bar thread. Its ridiculous. Its like something you expect to see mid November.

Archived