Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(CSN) Week 3 stats: Kirk Cousins is playing out of his mind

StrangeClouds

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/week-3-stats-kirk-cousins-playing-out-his-mind

"After an early season injury to RG3, Redskins fans prayed that Kirk Cousins would prove a serviceable replacement until their starter was healthy. Cousins has played a few snaps short of two full games, but has already blown all expectations out of the water.

Just how good has he been? Take a gander at these numbers:

338.5 - Kirk Cousins' passing yards per game. He leads the league through three weeks.

9.04 - Kirk Cousins' defense-adjusted yards per attempt. He leads the league through three weeks.

81 - Yards of Kirk Cousins' longest pass. This is the longest pass in the league through three weeks.

Sensing a pattern yet? Cousins has played very, very well. Here's more proof:

105.8 - Kirk Cousins passer rating, good for fourth in the league through three weeks. Only Russell Wilson (1), Peyton Manning (2) and Philip Rivers (3) have higher passer ratings.

66.66 - Kirk Cousins' completion percentage on passes of 20 yards or more on Sunday. Deep balls accounted for 184 of Washington's 511 yards of total offense.

414 - Passing yards allowed by the Philadelphia defense through two weeks. The unit gave up 427 passing yards to Kirk Cousins.

Still, not every week 3 stat is encouraging. Cousins seemed to deflate late in the game.

43.9 - Kirk Cousins' completion percentage in the fourth quarter of week 3. It had been 70.6% in the first three quarters...".

https://vine.co/v/O7AZWexbFUF

One of the best throws I have ever seen. If that doesn't scream elite potential then I'm not sure what will.

I feel sort of bad for Cousins. The guy is playing for his career and he has to contend with dreadful special teams, tons of injuries all over the roster, ridiculous penalties and a tough 3 game schedule coming up. He could continue to play at a high level and still lose a few of the next games. Hopefully the team pulls it together and rallies for some wins.

I feel sort of bad for Cousins. The guy is playing for his career and he has to contend with dreadful special teams, tons of injuries all over the roster, ridiculous penalties and a tough 3 game schedule coming up. He could continue to play at a high level and still lose a few of the next games. Hopefully the team pulls it together and rallies for some wins.

I honestly cringe everytime I hear Cousins compared to Andy Dalton.

Andy Dalton is a middle of the pack QB and always will be.

Cousins has elite potential. His awareness is far better and his accuracy is as well.

Dalton through 3 weeks: 722 yards. 2 TD. 1 Int.

Cousins through 2 weeks: 677 yards. 5 TD. 1 Int.

I pray for all of us Redskins fans that Kirk Cousins is NOT another Andy Dalton.

Special teams gives up a TD and misses a FG. That's a 10 point swing right there. If the redskins special teams just plays average and doesn't allow TD's,blocked punts, and missed FG's the skins would be 3-0. No doubt about it.

Pretty crazy your special teams can singlehandedly lose you games. Our offense and defense isn't good enough to have a ****ty special teams.. We will lose every time

Cousins has elite potential. 

What has Cousins done to make you think he can be elite?  I like the guy and think he could be solid; but nothing he has done has made me think he could be another Rodgers, Brady, or Brees type.  One 400 yard game doesn't convince me he'll be elite.  But that's just me. 

What has Cousins done to make you think he can be elite? I like the guy and think he could be solid; but nothing he has done has made me think he could be another Rodgers, Brady, or Brees type. One 400 yard game doesn't convince me he'll be elite. But that's just me.

What has Cousins done to make you think he can be elite?  I like the guy and think he could be solid; but nothing he has done has made me think he could be another Rodgers, Brady, or Brees type.  One 400 yard game doesn't convince me he'll be elite.  But that's just me.

Back to back 300 yard games with 5 TD to 1 pick and over 65% completion percentage.

Edit: Clearly wrong about back to back games. What i should have said was averaging over 300 yards per game. My mistake.

Yeah, Cousins may be able to become elite, but I don't think he has elite talent.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aren't elite talents.  Mind you, we may just be using different definitions of talent, but physically Cousins is a solid B.  He's got some movement, but he's not fast.  He's got a good arm, but not a strong one.  His preparation and vision seem pretty good.  I think if he becomes elite it will be because of the mental game and not because of physical talent.

He's not without physical talent.  He's just not in the top category.

Cousins just needs more playing time and the rest of the team to show up for him. Cousins will get better in the late stages of the game ..this is a new offense ..and im excited to see where this can go..im praying for a win against the giants..the team will be 2-2..and will have time after that to lick there wounds and keep working on getting better..

Don't feel bad for Cousins, at all. The people he would need to impress aren't gonna care one way or another if the Redskins win or lose...same thing if he was playing mediocre and the Skins were winning anyway.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Holding every qb we get to elite standards is doing nothing to help their careers. I have all the hopes everyone else does but he's new and he still has a ton to prove and learn. This is why the forums go into meltdown mode after one bad game.

I like everything except the "feel bad" part, but I know that's not really want you meant anyway.  This is going to be a TOUGH stretch coming up soon and will feasibly end our season before it starts depending on how our record fares.

If we are 2-4 after the next 3 then maybe we have one of those pointless WC runs in us but 3-3 would be amazing.... the season does seem to alternate between Tough Tough and soft scheduling.  And then the final divisional games are do or die as usual if we are still relevant by then.

What has Cousins done to make you think he can be elite? I like the guy and think he could be solid; but nothing he has done has made me think he could be another Rodgers, Brady, or Brees type. One 400 yard game doesn't convince me he'll be elite. But that's just me.

Everything! This is a quarterback who only has 5 games of experience and look at his stats. Give this kid a few years and he will be like Brees, Rogers or Brady.

Back to back 300 yard games with 5 TD to 1 pick and over 65% completion percentage.m

Probably wouldn't take much to find plenty of QBs over the years that did that.  To me, that just doesn't scream "elite".  Seriously, I'm not knocking Cousins though; I am happy he is doing well.  I just think it's a bit premature at this point to claim he could be elite after two decent games.  

Everything! This is a quarterback who only has 5 games of experience and look at his stats. Give this kid a few years and he will be like Brees, Rogers or Brady.

Lets just put it this way so my comments don't get misconstrued as "Cousins hating".  I just want to see consistent success before I'll jump on the "he can be elite" bandwagon.   He's only started five games total.  And in the two he's played in so far this year, I've seen good and bad things.  If he continues that success, it means we're competitive and I wouldn't be happier.  I just want to see a larger sample size before I claim he can, or will be elite.  

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Holding every qb we get to elite standards is doing nothing to help their careers. I have all the hopes everyone else does but he's new and he still has a ton to prove and learn. This is why the forums go into meltdown mode after one bad game.

Couldn't agree more.

And the thing is, both Cousins and Griffin won't be entering their prime for another 4 years. Four more years of experience, learning, of the game slowing down for them, of work on their mechanics, of film study...both have very real future possibilities as franchise QBs, just not both with the Redskins lol.

I think it's too early to call him elite too, but I'll say if he keeps playing like he has been, win or lose, he's gonna be considered one helluva QB. I love Robert, but we gotta go with the hot hand. So far this season, Kirk has it. That's not a knock on Robert, it's just my personal observation.

All things aside, having 2 really good QB's is a good problem to have.

Guess he was also out of his mind when he threw the game ending interception to lose the game for us. Sorry, he can keep all the nice little checkdown stats he wants and take them to whatever team offers him a starting job. Without an elite defense he'll never get anybody to the playoffs, he's a game manager who does ok as long as the defense holds up. Once the pressure is on him he starts to stink, he turns the ball over, he can't win any games. Just like last year when the defense didn't have his back either when RG3 went down. That's the difference. RG3 gets the job done, when healthy. Cousins is a career backup.

Archived