Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kirk Cousins Clutch? Does he have the moxy to lead a 4th Quarter comeback?

Boss_Hogg

The Redskins were in business yesterday at the Fecals 41 yard line late in fourth quarter. All they had to do was move the ball ten yards and they couldn't do it. This isn't the first time Cousins folded under pressure late in the game. Some games that come to mind are the Falcons game in 2012, Seattle playoff game, and the Falcons and Cowboys games in 2013. All of those games were winnable and Kirk was at the helm late in the 4th quarter.

He's had one 4th quarter comeback and that was against the Ravens in 2012. Other than that, he's choked like romoSUCKS when the game is on the line.

I like Kirk and I want him to do well wherever he goes, but his 4th quarter play with the game on the line concerns me.

Is Kirk Cousins Cluth? Yet to be seen. He's demonstrated certain instances where it seems like he is, others where he hasn't. It's far too early into his career and with far too small of a sample size to easily state one way or another.

Does he have the moxy to lead a 4th quarter comeback? I believe the answer here is yes. This is asking about potential, rather than results, and as such I don't mind expanding the net a bit in terms of how to judge a person. He showed in college the ability, the moxy, to lead a team to 4th quarter comebacks. Whether or not that will translate well to the NFL we'll have to see, but I do believe he has it in him to do such.

The Redskins were in business yesterday at the Fecals 41 yard line late in fourth quarter. All they had to do was move the ball ten yards and they couldn't do it. This isn't the first time Cousins folded under pressure late in the game. Some games that come to mind are the Falcons game in 2012, Seattle playoff game, and the Falcons and Cowboys games in 2013. All of those games were winnable and Kirk was at the helm late in the 4th quarter.

He's had one 4th quarter comeback and that was against the Ravens in 2012. Other than that, he's choked like romoSUCKS when the game is on the line.

I like Kirk and I want him to do well wherever he goes, but his 4th quarter play with the game on the line concerns me.

Only experience fixes this, neither Payton Manning nor Brett Favre were comeback kings in their 1st season, neither were many of the great QB's in this league. Kirk has nothing but potential and we will start seeing these winning drives as he plays more.

Too early to tell.  Hate one game snap shots or at least 6 game snap shots.

Besides, the question really shouldn't be is Cousins' clutch, but is the team.  Forbath can't miss the easy go ahead chip shot.  The D shouldn't surrender the drive at the end of the first half... especially so damn easily.  Yes, it's easy to grip about Cousins, but the team needs to hold it together at all the key moments.

One good thing is that the team never stopped fighting.  However, they need to stop committing the dumb.

In the 2013 Falcon game, he did lead us down the field to a score TD on the final drive.  We just went for the win with a 2pt conversion instead of sending the game into overtime.

The ill-conceived interception and fizzling out when in good position are a narrative we've seen many times over the years, regardless who's under centre.

However, as others have pointed out, Kirk's fairly new to this level of play, I wouldn't want to tar him with that brush just yet. Give him time. Not all QBs are Andrew Luck (who seems to do it like it's second nature).

Edit: disappointing though the end of the game was, it's hard to pin this one on him

You absolutely cannot expect a QB to pull miracles when the defense and special teams give up a ton of points.  It doesn't work that way.  Sometimes the QB can do it and win those games but if the defense and special teams blow it, then there's not much you can do about it.

This makes zero sense. The thread is about being CLUTCH...you can't be considered "clutch" unless you're put in situations which require you TO be "clutch". And that usually happens when some part of the team isn't coming through to take the pressure off of you as a QB.

And for the record, completing a 10 yard pass with 2 minutes to go is not considered "pulling a miracle".

Does suck that the offense couldn't gain 10 yards to put them in FG range but I think it's way too early to say Kirk is a choker ala Romo.  Sample size is too small,....just can't buy into that comparison yet.

Let's see how he does the next 5-6 games, as well as the team in general.  He's the least of my worries right now.

You absolutely cannot expect a QB to pull miracles when the defense and special teams give up a ton of points.  It doesn't work that way.  Sometimes the QB can do it and win those games but if the defense and special teams blow it, then there's not much you can do about it.

Miracles?  I wouldn't call gaining 10 yards on 4 plays to get a decent FG attempt a miracle.  Even gaining 41 yards for the game winning TD wouldn't be a miracle, IMO.

Way too soon to be asking this question. Fact is he connected perfectly on a bomb to Desean earlier in the 4th. Are we completely discrediting that? The throw behind Garcon was very painful. Thing is, even the best quarterbacks in history have failed many times at 4th quarter comebacks. Including the most clutch guys that many times win late in close games. To take one series at the end of the game and generalize about Kirk's ability to lead a comeback is asinine. He played exceptionally well yesterday. It was a hard fought game that we let slip away and it's going to emphasize the failed drive at the end because our offense was so good all day and only needed one first down to get in field goal range. 

Honestly, that was the one drive all game I hated the play calling. We got extremely conservative. Ran the ball on first down when we hadn't established it all game. Two consecutive short out routes that we hadn't really run all day. The final play should have made up for it because Garcon was wide open so it hurts. But with all that time left and in their territory I was shocked that we didn't try to use the middle of the field in the passing game - which we had been hugely successful at all day. Cousins will hold the blame for a couple bad throws but 3 of our last 4 plays were poor play calling at a crucial point in the game in my opinion. Much like Cousins though, Gruden called an outstanding game for about 99% of the day. Much to learn from and build upon. If we can throttle the Giants I will feel very good about this team going forward. 

Down 10, with 4 minutes to go, he looked pretty clutch to me.. But as I've said about Robert, if anyone thinks he or Cousins is going to toss the team on their shoulders and carry them to victory, there in for a long wait.. It's the NFL, everyone needs to pull their weight! Plus, you can not stink up any phase (ST's) of your game and expect to win.. As tight as games are these days, you just can't give away 10 points to a good team.. Can't do it..

Only experience fixes this, neither Payton Manning nor Brett Favre were comeback kings in their 1st season, neither were many of the great QB's in this league. Kirk has nothing but potential and we will start seeing these winning drives as he plays more.

Payton Manning wasn't even a comeback king last night...thew a INT in the 4th quarter just like Kirk.  Totally agree with you...give the kid a break...it happens.  he is getting better.

whoa man? A miracle? 

We got the ball on the Eagles 41 yard line. All he needed to do to tie the game is go about 20 yards. Far from a miracle. He choked, flat out. I love the kid, but you can not dispute that. I'm not discrediting what was an amazing, amazing performance, but he choked on that last drive. 

In the 2013 Falcon game, he did lead us down the field to a score TD on the final drive.  We just went for the win with a 2pt conversion instead of sending the game into overtime.

You are correct. But he also had costly turnovers late in the game.

Eerily similar to Tony Romo.

C'mon. The game was lost on defense and special teams. Give Kirk more time on this. He made some big boy throws out there yesterday and he'll be clutch if given more opportunities.

C'mon. The game was lost when our offense stalled on their 41.

No reason to sugar coat our offense choked to end the game. No one is blaming Cousins, nor not giving him time.

Our defense gave up fewer points than our offense scored.  Against an offense more powerful than ours.

Archived