Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it me, or has Alfred Morris been putting the ball on the ground a lot as of late?

RonArtest15

Two or three times this year, and if I remember correctly, he was having problems with losing the rock last season as well.  I LOVE what he brings to the table because he's tough as nails and a darn good RB in this league, but I have to wonder if the coaching staff feels like he can be a liability at times due to his propensity to put the ball on the ground.  Gotta secure the ball, Alf!

Fumbling was one of his issues coming out of college, and I've noticed it at times over the past few seasons. People even started asking those questions a bit at the end of his rookie year I think.

But at thisp oint his benefits far outweigh that risk imho. Additionally, I personally view fumbles due to bad technique / laziness to be worse than ones where the defender simply makes a very good play. The other team is paid too. Alfred's had a mix of both.

If he puts up 1200-1400 yards and 10 TDs, I'll take the 4-5 fumbles.

It's concerning, but most of the fumbles are not "soft" fumbles, they are extra effort fumbles.

He's had a few "soft" fumbles here and there. THOSE have to get cleaned up.

Tiki Barber was known as a fumbler, and Coughlin fixed him.  I hope somebody can help Alfred out.  

IIRC Tiki (or someone else) simply carried a football around with him.

Presumed inviting anyone and everyone to try and take it away.

Maybe it seems like Morris has concerns because of a few close non fumble calls, like in week 1 down on the goal line. That could have been 3 turnovers inside the 10.

Tiki employed a, IMO, revolutionary grip. Had multiple points if contact and was held horizontally and in sternal region.

He said it took some getting used to, but he basically NEVER fumbled again. I think that technique would be great for AlMo. It sacrifices some speed. But just like Tiki, speed isn't his string point.

Definetely needs to be addressed. If I were RB coach...'Al, you're going to start to carry the ball differently'.

Any chance this could be fixed with equipment (like new gloves or elbow pads) rather than by changing his running style?

Helped Ahman Green to wear a sleeve on his arm if I remember correctly. He had over active sweat glands and so he wore some type of rubber sleeves on his arms and didn't have an issue from then on.

Archived