Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Redskins can finally score points(optimistic post by the biggest pessimist)

Warhead36

For years it's been frustrating watching the Redskins play offense, 2012 being the exception. Left and right teams around the league are/were scoring 24, 31, 35+ points regularly and we struggle to grind out 17.

In today's NFL, you gotta be able to score points. Offenses are too good, and officiating is too tight. Sure there are exceptions like Seattle's D but even Seattle can score.

Well now, I think it's fair to say the Redskins can score points. FINALLY, we have joined the rest of the football world.

What does that mean going forward? It means I think we can be pretty decent this year. I'm not saying we'll go 12-4 or anything, but I think we got a legit shot at 9-7, maybe 10-6.

34 points wasn't enough to win today, and we may not score 34 that often, but I think it's safe to say we'll average in the mid 20s at least offensively this year. And against most teams, that will be good enough to win.

Looking at the schedule, we play a bunch of teams with defenses probably on par with Philly's if not worse(maybe slightly better). Our offense shouldn't have issues scoring points to win at least 8 games.

Now imagine if Cousins can get a running game averaging 4+ YPC. A 50 spot could be on the horizon.

I'm not so sure about this, the Redskins have not played a good NFL defense yet.

How many good NFL defenses are there? Seattle, but even they got lit up on the road last week(and we play them in our house). I guess Cincinatti and Arizona, but that's about it. There are very few if any shutdown Ds anymore.

This is the NFL now. Score points or die.

That's a lot of points we've put up since KC1 has been under center.

Defense played pretty well.

If we could just fix our ****ing STs.

Go the **** away iggle fan.

In games Cousins starts or plays significant minutes in(as in, last week's start), we are averaging 28 points per game in games Cousins starts.

If you throw out the Week 17 game last year, where we only scored 6(clearly an outlier where the team quit), the average shoots up to 32.4.

Never understand why you guys post here.

I'm an Eagles fan, but a fan of good football first.

Neither have the Eagles! You haven't beat any team with a good Defense.

I think the Redskins D is pretty good, maybe not top tier, but pretty damn good none the less.

Wouldn't put them in the same class as Arizona or Seattle, or maybe the Niners - but they could be right there if they could clean up the secondary.

Just about every D in the league is vulnerable.

If not for two moronic fumbles we probably score 21 on the Texans and that was with our 2nd best QB.

God I can't wait for your reaction if Cousins starts turning the ball over. You're going to throw him on the scrap heap just as fast as you do every other player in the area.

I'm not so sure about this, the Redskins have not played a good NFL defense yet.

I am in this boat.

Fans on this board annointed the defense after 2 games against the worst teams in the nfl, then got abused by the eagles, then we can't score in game 1 and now after 2 games against horrible defenses we are a great offense?

We need a full 16 games in order to honestly judge this team instead of reacting on a week to week basis.

I am in this boat.

Fans on this board annointed the defense after 2 games against the worst teams in the nfl, then got abused by the eagles, then we can't score in game 1 and now after 2 games against horrible defenses we are a great offense?

We need a full 16 games in order to honestly judge this team instead of reacting on a week to week basis.

Well I'm not one of those that annointed the defense. I do think the D has improved, yesterday was just a tough game against a team that is going to drop 30+ on just about everyone.

The offense with Cousins as the starter is going to score points. That has always been the case based on his limited sample size. Almost 30 PPG average with Cousins as the starter or de facto starter.

Give the guy a break. Everyone is welcome to post here. I for one like hearing the opionions of a fellow football fan. We all don't have to be homers here.

Maybe, but if Cousins pulled off the comeback with a TD to win the game, we wouldn't be seeing Eagles fans coming here saying good game good QB yada yada, they'd be robbing corner stores for more batteries to throw at Santa Claus. 

Gloaters.

Well I'm not one of those that annointed the defense. I do think the D has improved, yesterday was just a tough game against a team that is going to drop 30+ on just about everyone.

The offense with Cousins as the starter is going to score points. That has always been the case based on his limited sample size. Almost 30 PPG average with Cousins as the starter or de facto starter.

I think the d improved marginally.  But yesterday we went up against a line that was literally pulling bodies off the street and did not register 1 sack.  IF we went up against their projected starters and didnt register one i get it , they have like 3 pro bowlers on that line and 2 all pros.  But we went up against guys i've never even heard of.  

Kerrigan and orakpo have to get sacks there.  

Just playing with the possibility of a 10-6 season here...we're 1-2 now. we would need 9 more wins, and 4 more losses to get to 10-6. Which games would we win and which games would we lose? My best guess would be:

Vs giants: W (2-2)

Vs Seahawks: L (2-3)

@ Cardinals: W (3-3)

Vs Titans: W (4-3)

@ Cowboys: W (5-3)

@ Vikings: W (6-3)

Vs Bucs: W (7-3)

@ 49ers: L (7-4)

@ Colts: L (7-5)

Vs Rams: W (8-5)

@ Giants: W (9-5)

Vs Philly: L (9-6)

Vs Cowboys: W (10-6)

Just playing with the possibility of a 10-6 season here...we're 1-2 now. we would need 9 more wins, and 4 more losses to get to 10-6. Which games would we win and which games would we lose? My best guess would be:

Vs giants: W (2-2)

Vs Seahawks: L (2-3)

@ Cardinals: W (3-3)

Vs Titans: W (4-3)

@ Cowboys: W (5-3)

@ Vikings: W (6-3)

Vs Bucs: W (7-3)

@ 49ers: L (7-4)

@ Colts: L (7-5)

Vs Rams: W (8-5)

@ Giants: W (9-5)

Vs Philly: L (9-6)

Vs Cowboys: W (10-6)

I don't see us sweeping both Dallas and NY; nor Philly sweeping us.  I could see 3-3 in division play (only one off from yours).  But I also don't see us losing to the Colts. They really aren't playing very well.  So basically, I can agree 10-6 is still attainable; same ending, different path.  

Rules chilling defenses is causing a rise in scoring. I know I do not have the stats to prove it but you can look at a couple of games this past weekend.
Atlanta scored 56 against Tampa whom hired a defensive minded coach, granted TB do not have the talent on dee yet. Falcons had a breakout game.
Pittsburgh put up 37 agains a good Carolina Defense.
Giants put up 30 against a very good Texans Defense.
League defenses are still adjusting to NFL rule changes and I think you'll see a lot more high scoring games.
Admire your positive vibes though.

Archived