Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins / Eagles Game: Heroes / Goats of the Game

skins island connection

Gotta say, what a disappointing loss. There for the taking, but fell just short.

a lot of great plays and players, but also some goats of the game.

Hero: Garcon; nice to see garcon getting back into form, well over 100 yds receiving and a TD.

Cousins; the kid stepped into a big game and played very well, better than I expected, but he did have the 1 bad pass for a int, but overall I was impressed.

Goat; Special teams play; what exactly does it take for a decent performance out of these guys? Another TD  given up, and its painfully obvious nothing has changed with them. Could have gotten a few sacks but lack of pressure.

Defensive secondary;  struggled all day with receivers, a few bad calls against them but some plays were just not being mentally into the game.

Special goat bell performance; the officiating. How one late hit can not draw a flag on our QB but Foles got his, even though it was a retaliation hit.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

SIC

My thoughts...

The officiating was horrific, but the skins got the benefit most of the time. Bakers hit was a blatant cheap shot, if the roles were reversed this board would be going crazy.

Bakers ejection was totally appropriate, as was Peters.

Both defenses will prevent either of these teams from making any serious noise this year.

Interesting game.  I mean think about it, before the game started if you had one goal on defense wouldn't it be to close down their run game?  We did that as well as you can, hit a home run in that department.  You knew with the way Philly's offense is, you're not going to get to the QB very much.  Kerrigan was able to get a couple hands on him early on but Foles got away.

If you think our pass defense was bad this game, imagine if we had let them get a run game going...  it would've been much, much worse... talk about a 20+ pt win for Philly, hell they might've broken the 50 point margin.

We lost this game due to special teams and penalties, thats it.  Every other phase of the game gets a pass, they played as well as you can possibly play Philly.

Interesting game.  I mean think about it, before the game started if you had one goal on defense wouldn't it be to close down their run game?  We did that as well as you can, hit a home run in that department.  You knew with the way Philly's offense is, you're not going to get to the QB very much.  Kerrigan was able to get a couple hands on him early on but Foles got away.

If you think our pass defense was bad this game, imagine if we had let them get a run game going...  it would've been much, much worse... talk about a 20+ pt win for Philly, hell they might've broken the 50 point margin.

We lost this game due to special teams and penalties, thats it.  Every other phase of the game gets a pass, they played as well as you can possibly play Philly.

I agree with this.  Outside of the special teams play, you really can't be upset at the Skins offensively or defensively with how they played today.  They stunned both McCoy and Sproles and shut them down completely.  We struggled against the pass, but at the same time the Eagles receivers we're making some insane tightrope catches when getting their feet in bounds.  It was the perfect storm in a lot of ways today.  We just fell short, and its frustrating, but the Skins are a good team and should still compete in the NFCE.

My thoughts...

The officiating was horrific, but the skins got the benefit most of the time. Bakers hit was a blatant cheap shot, if the roles were reversed this board would be going crazy.

That's insane.  The PI call on Robinson was a bad call. No contact was made and he wasn't face guarding (had hands up but not in his face.)  Foles was moving towards a live play only a few yards.  Cox should have been called for blasting Cousins on a delay of game penalty.  I could have understood a push or dragging him down but the way he hit him, no one else was even moving except him.  YOu have to call it.

WOrst of all, your offensive line was holding all game and missed a tackle from behind/cut block at the knees on one play.  I know refs miss calls but Eagles were the beneficiaries overall.

Also, I'm sorry if you blow a call you blow it.  YOu don't get to throw a flag after looking up at the big screen.

IDK about saying Kai, he drilled those two longer FG's and missed the chip shot. Do we react the same if he missed the 49 yarder and made the other two? We still lose by 3. ST was bad though.

Hero goes to the Oline from the pass protection side, from a running game standpoint I didn't see a ton of holes, Morris didn't look fast out there either.

Cousins - enough said. He continues to play this consider Bob Wally Pipped.

Garcon/DJ/WR's - Grant had that drop but our WR's played tough today. Garson's great tippy toe catch and deep pass catch and hit. DJ earned his money today.

Run Defense- Absolutely amazing job stuffing Shaddy today..

--Duds--

Pass rush, not enough sacks but they did get some hits on Foles

2nd quarter FG to make it 20-14. I wish we went for it..

The Baker ejection is as mind numbing as they get. If a player is attempting to tackle another player you can't block them? What should we do ask please or use harsh words to stop the player?

This is the NFL of 2014. Can't touch a QB. Heck, if someone breathes on Brady or Manning it's a flag.

My thoughts...

Bakers ejection was totally appropriate, as was Peters.

Both defenses will prevent either of these teams from making any serious noise this year.

Can I respectfully request that you leave us alone?

I am very impartial when it comes to penalties. DJax should have goiter a flag in the opening series, blatant unsportsmanlike conduct. Happy to admit that.

The baker hit was not a cheap shot. Foles was moving towards the guy returning the INT. If he was standing still or just getting out if the way, is agree with you. But he wasn't. Baker got him in the chest, didn't lead with his helmet, didn't go high or low. Essentially just pushed him down.

It was as clean as possible.

Heros: garçon, cousins, DJax.

Goats: entire running game just wasn't good at all

ST KICK OFF UNIT

Kai. You hit the hard ones. Gotta get the easy one.

Heroes:

Captain Kirk

O-Line blocking

WR's

Goats:

Merriweather was horrible today. Got beat twice and looked lost

Special Teams. Both games we've lost, we've given up a ST touchdown and missed a fg or had extra point blocked. We could be 3-0 right now.

Penalties, penalties, penalties. We're on pace to set a franchise record for penalties!

I'm sick to my stomach after this loss.....we should be 3-0, but special teams are killing is....I'd consider cutting Kai and bringing back Hocker...at least he'll kick it out of the end zone.

It's not just the kickoff return or the missed 33 yard FG...they had other good returns, plus all the penalties on special teams.

I thought it was a huge mistake by Cousins for not taking a timeout in the redzone in the 4th Q. Instead he took the 5 yard penalty for whatever reason. In the redzone, you can't give away yards on penalties and taking a timeout would be justifiable, especially in a tie game in the 4th Q.

Also thought it was mistake for Gruden to take a timeout prior to the 4th down play. You need to keep all 3 timeouts at that point to give yourself a chance.

This is the NFL of 2014. Can't touch a QB. Heck, if someone breathes on Brady or Manning it's a flag.

Saw a guy "polamalu" Manning today well after the pass. Suprised me not to get the flag but is was Seattle. Seems the new rules are for every other team but them..........................and whoever's playing the Redskins.

Pros:

Cousins, garçon, Djax, pash rush and run defense.

Overall attitude of the team, hard hitting, aggressive.

Third down conversions.

Cons:

Special teams, that return for TD was a killer

Defensive secondary especially brandon merriwhether. Wow was he exposed today. Can we please find a safety that can play? Any hope of Phillip Thomas?

Play calling on last drive. One run and two quick outs. Not good.

Cousins too quick throwing the ball. Would rather have to slow someone down in anticipation instead of them not being able to.

Overall a good team effort, the eagles are good and we gave them a great game in their building.

That was his rap in college and was available in late round.

He's put the ball on the ground A LOT as of late.  I love Alf, but he can be a liability at times.

Oh, another thing....I also like Helu, but we need a change-of-pace back with speed.  No way should Malcolm Jenkins chase down anyone. 

Heros: Gruden: Great offensive game plan

Cousins: He is who we thought he was.

OLine: Kept Cousins clean.

Front 7: Sproles/McCoy were non factors

Haslett: See above

Dog Meat: Kotwica: For all his preseason bluster the

Special Teams still suck.

Merriweather: Looked like Rambo out there

Commentators: Did more for Cousins than

Cousins did for Cousins.

Excused errant throws in a

blatant attempt to fan QB

controversy flames.

Officials: Uneven calls. Flags seemed to

mirror crowd reactions.

I give a pass to the secondary... mostly. Not many teams have a shutdown corner, so when you face 4-5 wide there are bound to be weaknesses. We are going to miss Hall for the rest of the season.

Despite the loss I give the team a B. Something good to build on. Now, let's go slay the Giants.

Pros:

Cousins, garçon, Djax, pash rush and run defense.

Overall attitude of the team, hard hitting, aggressive.

Third down conversions.

Cons:

Special teams, that return for TD was a killer

Defensive secondary especially brandon merriwhether. Wow was he exposed today. Can we please find a safety that can play? Any hope of Phillip Thomas?

Play calling on last drive. One run and two quick outs. Not good.

Cousins too quick throwing the ball. Would rather have to slow someone down in anticipation instead of them not being able to.

Overall a good team effort, the eagles are good and we gave them a great game in their building.

Pass rush a pro? We had 0 sacks against 4 backups.

Yeah, Merriweather really had a tough game.  He was all around all of the wrong kinds of plays.  Not a good comeback game for him.  

One great thing to point out... did anyone else notice that the Eagles never went into their hurry up offense?  I think it may have had to do with their starting center going out, as well as not having the ball at all in the 1st quarter, but we're the only defense I've seen that has been able to take them out of that attack.  Props to the defense... props the offense... and the special teams can go **** themselves.

Archived