Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Can't we fix our Special Teams...

gatito

I simply do not understand this part of our team. It has been piss poor for a long time. There have been bright spots here and there in the return game or Kai being consistent his rookie year but overall we are not special on teams.

This year our punting length and hang time is greatly improved. Our kickoff depth is better but our overall our coverage on both of these is terrible. The kickoff return for a TD cost us the game. It was only compounded by Kai missing a 33 yard FG.

We lost the Texans game because of a blocked punt and missed extra point. So here we sit a 1-2 when had we had even medicore special teams we could be 2-1 or maybe even 3-0. 

Can someone please explain to me why we suck so bad. The excuse that we do not have cap room to have strong teams play no longer applies like it did the past 2 seasons. We have changed ST coaches yet we still lack. Please help me understand why this group is still allowed to cost us wins?

Its frustrating as ****.  Every other team seems to do make it all seem so easy.  We can' t even kick off right (no matter whose kicking), we can't return without penalizing, and we sure as **** can't kick gimme FG's consistently.  Really Forbath?  33 freaking yards?

Unreal.

Yeah special teams has been a huge part of our 2 losses this year. Just sad and there's no excuse for it. I believe this team finds a way to loss know matter what.

The special team has just been a big part of that early this year. Im sure it will be something else soon.

Like our kicking situation, we seem only get it half right.  Meaning, we now have a punter, but our kicker is struggling and injured once again.

This really nails it right on the head! We seem to only be able to get it half right.

We get better length and hang time on punts and still can't cover. We can't kick it into the endzone on kickoffs consistently and when it is returned we don't cover.

We hit 40+ fieldgoals straight down the pipe that would have made it from 50+ but then hit the pipe from 33?

Great returns and we have holding. I can not even begin to understand how you are offsides on kicks,

To me ST seems like discipline and concentration. If you do that you will be at the very least avg yet be continue to be the laughing stock.

Yeah special teams has been a huge part of our 2 loses this year. Just sad and there's no excuse for it. I believe this team finds a way to lose know matter what.

The special team has just been a big part of that early this year. Im sure it will be something else soon.

Not to be a dick, but I've seen you misspell the word "losses" quite a bit it seems.  Just remember to throw one more "s" in there so you don't look illiterate.  Just lookin' out for ya.

We need a legit K. Forbath is mediocre. He can't bang out touchbacks on a regular basis and he routinely misses makeable kicks.

Our P is legit. We just need a K. Nobody returns kicks for TDs if you're driivng them to the back of the endzone everytime.

Exactly! This very thing would eliminate any returns for TD, but you 1st need to acknowledge that you have a problem and weakness in that position before you can fix it, and Bruce doesn't seem to think we have any problems with our kicker.

What's sort of frightening is looking at how many kickers start (or did for some years) for other teams after we let them go.

Gano, Suisham, Akers, Novak...

we're like the minor league of dependable but not great kickers.

Exactly!!! Nobody can kick in Washington, but do great as soon as they leave, yep it's a damn curse!

2 games where the special teams was the difference. 2 games that will totally be the difference come time for playoffs bubble. Mark it down.

If we're going to lose more games to special teams play this season (which we will) we should just cut bait on this ST coach right now. I PROMISE you this won't stop under this coach. 

The punt return for TD..... from what I saw it looked like Merriweather took a bad angle and got outside of his assigned lane.  This could be due to lack of being able to practice with the ST unit.

Anyone who watched the coaches show w/ Gruden saw that Cooley and Gruden were talking about special teamers being assigned lanes and if one person misses their assignment, a good returner will exploit it everytime.  Im hoping its just lack of ST reps for Merriweather in the last month that caused this to happen.

And forbath?  God...  maybe we can give a roster spot to the guy we cut in preseason for insurance?

I get the same feeling watching our special teams line up to kick the ball off that I do watching us line up to kick a 45+ yard FG.  I get nervous and think it's about 50/50 something bad happens.

Forbath needs to go.  Part of being an NFL kicker is touchbacks and he just can't do it.  He's an okay kicker, but he just cant do at this level.... Should've kept the rookie.

I'm just curious if there are any other teams that have both a designated kickoff guy and a FG kicker.

We need a legit K. Forbath is mediocre. He can't bang out touchbacks on a regular basis and he routinely misses makeable kicks.

Our P is legit. We just need a K. Nobody returns kicks for TDs if you're driivng them to the back of the endzone everytime.

I wouldn't say routinely misses makeable kicks.  He did just hit 18 in a row, and had a remarkable streak in 2012.

Was he kicking off today? Thought it was Way?

Archived