Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins’ 3-4 defense, finally built to Jim Haslett’s liking, is capable of causing havoc

98ORAKPO98

I believe the Redskins have the most dominant defense in all the NFL, and will prove it tomorrow against the iggles. Baker and Hatcher are monsters up front, Orakpo and Kerrigan are monsters coming off the edge, Robinson and Riley are play makers in the middle and Amerson looks like a potential shut down corner. If D Hall plays like he did last year, then he's pretty darn good too. Clark and Meriweather are smart veteran players and shouldn't allow to many big plays. When Cofield and Bowen get back the D line should be very deep to go along with Kearse, Jenkins, Golston, and the prior D lineman mentioned. Trent Murphy and Breeland look to be potential impact makers as well, and hopefully Porter will add value in the slot when healthy. HTTR! 

I predict 5 sacks tomorrow and a crushing defeat for the iggles!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-3-4-defense-finally-built-to-jim-hasletts-liking-is-capable-of-causing-havoc/2014/09/18/69c7dfce-3f3c-11e4-b0ea-8141703bbf6f_story.html

After giving up the second-most points in the NFL last season, the Redskins made major changes in philosophy and personnel. Coordinator Jim Haslett has the right players to fit his aggressive style and, for the first time with the Redskins, autonomy in play-calling.

I think most dominant in the nfl at this point is a stretch to even guess, but after this week we'll have a better idea if it's middle of the pack or top 8 material

Keep the eagles under 14 offensive points and I think you can begin to talk about the defense as a top 8 (top quarter) contender.

Why were the defense being held back last season? It's as if the Redskins were tanking last season when you look at how different the Defense played last year. They were terribad

Shanahan is known for his bad defenses. Thats what got him fired in Denver too. I think he runs how the coordinator calls plays. There were times last season our defense looked really good but it never lasted an entire game.

Why were the defense being held back last season? It's as if the Redskins were tanking last season when you look at how different the Defense played last year. They were terribad

They were held back for many reasons, Haslett not being able to run the D the way he wanted without Shanny butting in. London Fletcher playing beyond when he should have retired, horrible secondary play,etc. Not to mention now we have Jason Hatcher, the engine that drives the defense, it starts up front and it starts with him. Also Chris Baker is getting the chance to prove he is starter material and much improved to the point that I will call him the best 3-4 NT in the entire NFL, pure dominance. Jarvis Jenkins is showing flashes of his prior self from his preseason rookie success, David Amerson is our version of Richard Sherman except more athletic with more potential. Hall is a play making corner on the other side that just needs to do what he's been doing the last couple of seasons, Perry Riley is in his peak and is smarter and improved. Keenan Robinson looks like the real deal and can communicate the calls and fly around side line to side line to make plays. The D line is deep once we get healthy again giving us a great rotation up front. Orakpo and Kerrigan are blue chip edge defenders that are well rounded OLB's and can wreak havoc. Trent Murphy looks very solid as a nickle rusher which provides depth up front. Ryan Clark provides leadership and smarts in the secondary while Meriweather provides a hard hitting safety that needs to learn how to stay on the football field.  :lol:  Breeland and Porter are solid corners providing good depth in the secondary. All in all this looks to be a very stout defense that will take us all the way to Arizona this coming February! HTTR! 

PS. I hope I don't feel like a dumb arse tomorrow after the iggles game.  B)

And the offense, Captain Kirk looks like Tom Brady reincarnated, Alfred Morris and Silas Redd will be considered the best 1 2 punch in the NFL by seasons end. Niles Paul and Jordan Reed will be a lethal combination at TE for many years to come! D Jax, Garcon, Roberts, Grant, Robinson, and Moss are a killer WR core and Darryl Young is a beast at FB. Trent Williams is possibly the best LT in the NFL. Our only downfall may be the rest of the O line, lets hope this coming draft fixes that problem, a shiny new safety would be nice as well.

I think the whole 'he was handcuffed' argument is weak sauce.  Haslett's resume was far from stellar when he had autonomy.

The reasons we are better are obvious.  Baker has stepped up, Hatcher is a beast, KRob is much faster (not a better thumper than Fletch), and Ryan Clark is manning the middle.

If you sprinkle in the fact that Amerson has improved (he's playing really physical right now), Riley is playing well, Breeland was a nice surprise, and BMeriweather is back where he should be (suspended for decking dudes), our defense should be improved.

I might be off my rocker, but the guy that has impressed me the most is JJenkins.  I was almost ready to write him off, but his energy and push up front has made me a believer.  He's a very nice addition to what we're trying to do upfront, and kudos to him for working through his injury and solidifying his spot on this football team.  Good for him.

I think the whole 'he was handcuffed' argument is weak sauce.  Haslett's resume was far from stellar when he had autonomy.

The reasons we are better are obvious.  Baker has stepped up, Hatcher is a beast, KRob is much faster (not a better thumper than Fletch), and Ryan Clark is manning the middle.

If you sprinkle in the fact that Amerson has improved (he's playing really physical right now), Riley is playing well, Breeland was a nice surprise, and BMeriweather is back where he should be (suspended for decking dudes), our defense should be improved.

I might be off my rocker, but the guy that has impressed me the most is JJenkins.  I was almost ready to write him off, but his energy and push up front has made me a believer.  He's a very nice addition to what we're trying to do upfront, and kudos to him for working through his injury and solidifying his spot on this football team.  Good for him.

All that. In week one we had the usual nonsense of Orakpo in coverage more than rushing, then week two we take advantage of a terrible line and suddenly Haslett's a genius.

LOVE the enthusiasm 98ORAKPO!  Honestly, it disappoints me how many Redskins Fans poor mouth the team.  This is a welcome change, & I'll take it.

Now as for The Defense, Best in The League may be a little too much.  I will say that The D (particularly with RGIII's injury) is a critical component of us having a successful year.  And I do believe that they're up to the task.  Where they rank remains to be seen.  But this Defense playing this way can take us somewhere this year.

But here's the thing:  when our Top 10 Defense was torn up at the time, the vision sold to us was that they'd become a 3-4 unit in the mold of the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The difference between those Pittsburgh teams and ours is Safety play.  We never got the Safeties.

Let's see how good this Defense is with a legitimate Safety battery 1st, before we proclaim ourselves anything.

LOVE the enthusiasm 98ORAKPO! Honestly, it disappoints me how many Redskins Fans poor mouth the team. This is a welcome change, & I'll take it.

Now as for The Defense, Best in The League may be a little too much. I will say that The D (particularly with RGIII's injury) is a critical component of us having a successful year. And I do believe that they're up to the task. Where they rank remains to be seen. But this Defense playing this way can take us somewhere this year.

But here's the thing: when our Top 10 Defense was torn up at the time, the vision sold to us was that they'd become a 3-4 unit in the mold of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The difference between those Pittsburgh teams and ours is Safety play. We never got the Safeties.

Let's see how good this Defense is with a legitimate Safety battery 1st, before we proclaim ourselves anything.

It's amazing what 20+ years of disappointment does to fanbase. We are so used to seeing good turn to suck..that we refuse to believe they can stay good. Can you blame them?

I wasn't and am not as down as Haslett as many on here are and was actually glad they kept him on. The guy knows football and I think what our D did in the latter half of 2012 as opposed to what they did in 2013 was more of an indicator what kind of D he can run. Again, 2013 was a disaster for this team from the start in all areas and it really is just one of those seasons that has to be thrown out. I thought it was interesting that coming off a division winning season in 2012 where our D played very well in the last month and a half, that Haslett was moved from coaching on the sideline to coaching from upstairs in 2013. Who's call that was, I don't know, but I found it a little curious as to why you would change coming off a division winning season. My gut tells me that it was Shanahans call and if I'm not mistaken Haslett is back to coaching from the sideline again this year.

Our front office and new coach thought keeping Haslett and some other coaches from the Shanahan regime was a good idea and only time is going to tell if they were right. I believe in Haslett and think that with the horses he has on D to go along with his scheme, we're going to be fine defensively. We'll see what happens as the season goes along, but right now I'm just really pumped about looking forward to 1:00 PM on Sunday again.

Archived