Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.Com: Chip Kelly wants us to believe Eagles cut DeSean Jackson because of his size

MustangSteve

My point is, you guys continue to show up here to tell us how great Stink Kelly tastes.  Why question is, do you not have anything better to do with your time?  

We didn't start this thread, one of you guys did, we're just responding to it. When people state misinformation - Chip Kelly is lying about why Desean was cut, he was making up stories about Desean rolling with the Crips, etc. - we're just trying to set the record straight. Then Redskins fans make other comments about Kelly being legit or not legit, and we respond to those comments too. It's a conversation. I totally understand you not wanting to read about another team's coach. If so, just skip the thread.

We didn't start this thread, one of you guys did, we're just responding to it. When people state misinformation - Chip Kelly is lying about why Desean was cut, he was making up stories about Desean rolling with the Crips, etc. - we're just trying to set the record straight. Then Redskins fans make other comments about Kelly being legit or not legit, and we respond to those comments too. It's a conversation. I totally understand you not wanting to read about another team's coach. If so, just skip the thread.

That's kinda my point.  I'm tired of having to skip threads because I don't want to read your drivel.  I wish you would skip every thread, not just this one.  Anyway, I'm done.

I'm snikering at his choice of receivers now, but I think his offense can and most certainly does work.

Quick short passes that get the ball out to playmakers in a hurry is not a new concept, and it's been the driving force behind some of the most successful offensive innovations since the 80s.

I think if he did have real solid downfield threats it would be even more dangerous.

Foles is smart, makes good fast decisions, and they have probably the best two backs in the league to be able to run this style attack.

I keep hearing about this Zach Ertz ready to break out, but regardless, Brent Celek is Steady Eddie.

However, i think in the NFL there is perhaps a problems of leaving your defense on the field too long. 

~Bang

Chip Kelly never said anything about Desean and the alleged gang ties. That story came from an investigative journalism report. Desean himself admitted he hangs with gang members but 'not if they are doing negative things'.

Dude, I survived the Mike Shanahan years. Just about every negative report about Robert, Donovan, or sine other player came from a "source within the organization" also known as Mike.

The investigative reporter didn't investigate squat, he was spoon fed that Jackson BS from the Eagles brass.

didnt realize this was strictly a self affirmation society.   If you think most of these posts are trolling...you just dont know trolling.

We know trolling because we've seen a lot of it this week. :)

You idiot Eagle fans seem to think this is a 'everything for everybody' board. It isn't. The Stadium is a Redskins board to talk about Redskins football.

It is obvious you need a refresher course on the set-up of this board here:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/156839-to-fans-of-opposing-teams/

I think my first post is more disrespectful than these Eagle fans have been.

These aren't trolls, IMO. 

Obviously Eagles fans, but they're not just talking trash, even if it's disagreeable. 

Oh, and Chip Kelly is a weenie-shmeenie.

~Bang

I admit, I was really jealous of Philly for getting Chip. I think he is brilliant and is going to be a thorn in our side for years.

I wish he had stayed at Oregon one more year and we could have had a chance at him

I agree with that. I think the key will be how he adjusts down the road as people have adjusted to him. And that's where you see just how smart a coach is, not just by their original system. And I think Kelly is going to prove his smarts.

Dude, I survived the Mike Shanahan years. Just about every negative report about Robert, Donovan, or sine other player came from a "source within the organization" also known as Mike.

The investigative reporter didn't investigate squat, he was spoon fed that Jackson BS from the Eagles brass.

If Mike Shanahan was the coach of the Eagles I would agree with you 100%. But he isn't.

I'm snikering at his choice of receivers now, but I think his offense can and most certainly does work.

Quick short passes that get the ball out to playmakers in a hurry is not a new concept, and it's been the driving force behind some of the most successful offensive innovations since the 80s.

I think if he did have real solid downfield threats it would be even more dangerous.

The Eagles offense doesn't rely just on screen passes and bubble screens. Many people are not aware of how many times the Eagles threw the deep ball last year.

According to Pro Football Focus no quarterback in the NFL posted more completions of 20 yards or longer than Foles, who finished the season with 17.4 percent of his passes traveling that distance.

What is perhaps most impressive and enlightening about this statistic is the fact that it does not take into account yards after the catch, which means that any production on screen passes or short-to-intermediate routes do not impact average.

Additionally, Foles' accuracy on deep passes ranks seventh in the league at 45.5 percent, which is ahead of the likes of Philip Rivers, Tony Ro mo, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Andrew Luck. He even completed 14 of his 29 touchdowns this season on passes of 20 or more, which ranks behind only Brees and Andy Dalton who are tied with 15.

http://www.eagledelphia.com/2014/01/nick-foles-finishes-season-with-most-deep-completions-.html

However, i think in the NFL there is perhaps a problems of leaving your defense on the field too long.

~Bang

The Eagles defense played more snaps and was on the field longer than any other defense in the NFL last year. But that was mostly because they couldn't get themselves off of the field. The Eagles defense was tied for 2nd worst in the NFL at preventing 1st downs, was 24th in the NFL at preventing 3rd down conversions, and was 30th in the NFL at forcing 3-and-outs last year. That's why they were on the field so long. None of that is the fault of the Eagles offense.

Some of you people here just slay me.

Chip Kelly is the real deal, he will be successful for years to come. Jackson was let go because he didn't fully buy into the system being put into place, he was insubordinate and disinterested in contributing when he wasn't the focus of the play. Wide receivers in Kelly's system must be able, and willing to block.

Some of us actually come here to try to have an intelligent discussion about football, many others come for the obvious entertainment.

Chip values size in receivers because he has observed that defensive backs are getting bigger and he wants receivers who can match up with those defenders, beat press coverage, and contest for passes. 

I love when teams try to play huge DB's on quick, shifty smaller receivers. The bigger DBs just dont have the speed and agility to keep up with guys like DJax. 

Glad to know Chip is a great coach for treating grown men like 7 years olds.

Also no, I haven't had a single worry about Robert Griffin, but thanks for linking to a thread where some people did.

Oh and Cris Carter definitely wasn't in his prime on the Eagles.

Man its weird seeing Cris Carter in an Eagles uniform? When I started watching football he was with MIN. Thats the team I always associate him with.

I love when teams try to play huge DB's on quick, shifty smaller receivers. The bigger DBs just dont have the speed and agility to keep up with guys like DJax.

That can be true, but 6'1" 219 lb. Patrick Peterson had no trouble shutting down Desean Jackson last year when the Eagles played the Cardinals. He limited Desean Jackson to 3 catches for 36 yards and no touchdowns.

...maximize explosive plays and minimize explosive plays by the opposition, win the turnover battle - and then he customizes his approach to best utilize the personnel he has...

-said every coach at every level of football ever...

He has a fundamental idea that if his team runs to the line of scrimmage faster he will win...you know when that doesn't work? When the opposing D doesn't give up the first down. All of a sudden the D is right back on the field...there's other good offenses in the NFL. And they will punish you for it. I may be a relic but I still believe in controlling the clock and defense.

Love your icon though you can post here whenever you want.

Some of you people here just slay me.

Chip Kelly is the real deal, he will be successful for years to come. Jackson was let go because he didn't fully buy into the system being put into place, he was insubordinate and disinterested in contributing when he wasn't the focus of the play. Wide receivers in Kelly's system must be able, and willing to block.

Some of us actually come here to try to have an intelligent discussion about football, many others come for the obvious entertainment.

I am all for receivers that block...you don't have one like we do (garçon not Desean)...I'm also all for receivers who can catch, and after watching your first couple of games...not sure you have any of those.

That can be true, but 6'1" 219 lb. Patrick Peterson had no trouble shutting down Desean Jackson last year when the Eagles played the Cardinals. He limited Desean Jackson to 3 catches for 36 yards and no touchdowns.

Don't know if you've been paying attention but Peterson is the best CB in the world hands down...Sherman ain't even close...

We are a couple of years away from having two starting DBs 6' or taller and over 200

He has a fundamental idea that if his team runs to the line of scrimmage faster he will win...you know when that doesn't work? When the opposing D doesn't give up the first down. All of a sudden the D is right back on the field...there's other good offenses in the NFL. And they will punish you for it. I may be a relic but I still believe in controlling the clock and defense.

True, but...

The Eagles' up-tempo spread offense made it pretty effective at getting first downs. Last year the Eagles had the 5th highest number of 1st downs per game and the 5th lowest percentage of 3-and-out drives in the NFL.

Don't know if you've been paying attention but Peterson is the best CB in the world hands down...Sherman ain't even close...

No doubt Peterson is one of the best, but the point is some bigger defensive backs can keep up with smaller faster receivers. And they will definitely match up better with the Megatrons, Brandon Marshalls, Alshon Jefferys, A.J. Greens, etc than smaller DBs.

EDIT: Interesting. After talking about the possibility that one reason Desean Jackson was cut was his unwillingness or inability to block, coach Jay Gruden weighed in on Desean's ability as a blocker. I hope he was just kidding. Starts at 7:36 in this clip http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=425&f=3362973

True, but...

The Eagles' up-tempo spread offense made it pretty effective at getting first downs. Last year the Eagles had the 5th highest number of 1st downs per game and the 5th lowest percentage of 3-and-out drives in the NFL.

They also lost at home in the playoffs to a team that held the ball 10 minutes longer without the hurry up and also ran for close to 200 yards. The Eagles didn't even turn the ball over but the Saints did 2 times and still won on the road. Guess that Eagles defense got wore out and that no huddle ran out of gas considering the Saints were only 70 yards from doubling the Eagles yardage. Brees even had one of his worst games of the year and still got the road win.

Lets hope its a sign of him being a carrier of the Spurrier Disease. A sure sign of which is a growing # of his former college players showing up on the team regardless of the lack of any real talent.

They also lost at home in the playoffs to a team that held the ball 10 minutes longer without the hurry up and also ran for close to 200 yards. The Eagles didn't even turn the ball over but the Saints did 2 times and still won on the road. Guess that Eagles defense got wore out and that no huddle ran out of gas considering the Saints were only 70 yards from doubling the Eagles yardage. Brees even had one of his worst games of the year and still got the road win.

The Eagles lost that game because of their special teams, not because of time of possession.

Kicker Alex Henery - who is no longer with the Eagles - missed a 48-yard field goal in the 2nd quarter. Despite that, the Eagles were winning 24-23 with 4:44 left in the game when the Eagles special teams allowed a 41-yard kickoff return by Darren Sproles - who is now with the Eagles - and committed a horse-collar tackle to prevent a TD, adding a 15 yard penalty. That return set up the winning field goal for the Saints with 3 seconds left in the game. The Eagles lost by 2 points, 26-24. If Henery had made that field goal and had been able to kick a touchback to prevent Sproles' return, the Eagles would have won that game and it would have been yet another example of the Eagles winning a game with less time of possession. For example:

Eagles @ Raiders 11/3/2013

Time of Possesion

Raiders - 37:54

Eagles - 22:06

Raiders - 20

Eagles - 49

Teams that are winning start using up clock to shorten the game, increasing their time of possession. So it's leading/winning that leads to more time of possession, not the other way around.

Lets hope its a sign of him being a carrier of the Spurrier Disease. A sure sign of which is a growing # of his former college players showing up on the team regardless of the lack of any real talent.

The former Ducks on the Eagles are backups and practice squad guys. None are starters. They are on the team because they are the physical types that Kelly looks for at their positions, both in college and the pros, and they already know his system and what is expected of them.

And here come the Eagles fans. If we win, we will see very few or no comments after the game. If they win, they'll infiltrate our message board like an out-of-control yeast infection. Hopefully it's the former rather than the latter.

With that said, the Eagles offense is nothing to be scoffed at. Sunday's game is going to test our defense. While anyone can say that the ten sacks the Jags gave up was essentially a result of their horrible offensive line, it's hard to ignore our historic defensive output during that game. I just hope we continue the domination against Chip and his high-powered offense.

HTTR!!

And here come the Eagles fans. If we win, we will see very few or no comments after the game. If they win, they'll infiltrate our message board like an out-of-control yeast infection.

Nah. This place is run much better than that.

The mods are just allowing this 'philthy infestation' right now because the Redskins are playing the Eagles this week.

Once the game is over, whether the Redskins win or lose, they'll "fumigate" the Stadium. :)

The Eagles offense doesn't rely just on screen passes and bubble screens. Many people are not aware of how many times the Eagles threw the deep ball last year.

Question: how many of those targeted DeSean Jackson?

He did have a career year last season and in looking over the stats he was targeted 40 more times than any other Eagles WR, and he caught 35 more than their next wideout on the list. 

Cooper has the longest average per reception, just curious how the long passes break out.

Foles shows a very solid 9.1 yds per attempt, so they definitely moved the ball in chunks, I'm just wondering if there is some sort of stast that would show how often those chunks came in a short pass coupled with a long run, or a long pass.

~Bang

Not enough respect for Kelly in this thread. He has a remarkable record and he really earned his way through the ranks, cutting his teeth for so many years at New Hampshire before Oregon came calling.

Mike Bellotti did great things with the Ducks, but Kelly took them to another level. He is very much a revolutionary football coach. Again, not saying he is the first guy in history to spread the field and run things up tempo, but he is one of, if not the first, to put it all together along with the disciplined training and nutrition program he deploys into such a well oiled machine.

Every player/coach/person has flaws as does every system. I don't think Kelly has been exposed by much of anything yet, which is a credit to him-- it's clearly a tough nut to crack in terms of preparing for his offense. At some point there will be a little bit of a regression or there will be a breakthrough on how best to defend them. A bump in the road for Kelly if you will.

At that point we will then start to get a clearer picture of exactly how good/great he is. But through one season and two games, Kelly absolutely has to be considered one of the best coaches in the league.

Archived