Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per NFL Network: Chris Samuels in consideration for HOF 2015

Alaskins

Yeah, I never considered Samuels to be "great".  When I think HOF, I don't think Chris Samuels.  Great Redskin maybe, but one of the greats to ever play in the NFL?  Don't think so.  I really thought he got a few Pro Bowls on reputation.  His peers like Jones and Ogden that just got in were definitively better than him, IMO.  

This is question worthy of debate. He was our best and most consistent player for a decade. Considered one of the top tackles in the NFL during that time as well.

The rub is that our team during his tenure was not that good. That hurts his chances, love to see it happen but I doubt it...

If simply based on what seems to be the current criteria--meaning just stats and pro bowls, then maybe.  But did he pass the HOF eye test?  Not to me.  Very solid player, great Redskin for sure.  I think he established himself and then his reputation eclipsed his actual play.  Others are certainly more deserving--including Jacoby.

Yeah, I never considered Samuels to be "great". When I think HOF, I don't think Chris Samuels. Great Redskin maybe, but one of the greats to ever play in the NFL? Don't think so. I really thought he got a few Pro Bowls on reputation. His peers like Jones and Ogden that just got in were definitively better than him, IMO.

Agreed

Yeah, I never considered Samuels to be "great".  When I think HOF, I don't think Chris Samuels.  Great Redskin maybe, but one of the greats to ever play in the NFL?  Don't think so.  I really thought he got a few Pro Bowls on reputation.  His peers like Jones and Ogden that just got in were definitively better than him, IMO.  

Inclined to agree with Justice here (gotta love that play on words!). 

I always considered Samuel great. But not elite.

If simply based on what seems to be the current criteria--meaning just stats and pro bowls, then maybe.  But did he pass the HOF eye test?  Not to me.  Very solid player, great Redskin for sure.  I think he established himself and then his reputation eclipsed his actual play.  

These views reflect mine as well.  Chris Samuels was a GREAT Redskin; another in our lineage of Stellar Offensive Tackles, but I just never felt he was the tip of the spear elite.  I saw him get ate up by top notch Pass Rushers - sure an Elite Tackle can be beaten, but there's a reasonable limit.  

Also, I viewed him as lacking in that nasty disposition you'd like your Left Tackle to have.  I want my Left Tackle to be THE meanest, toughest bully on the ENTIRE field (and for the defense to know it).  And that just wasn't his game.  I never held it against him, but it was....disappointing.  [but that #71 manning the backside now?  Don't even get me started!  :P ]

All-in-all, would I want Samuels to make it?  Sure.  But when one thinks of Washington Redskins Offensive Tackles, one would be hard pressed to put old number 60 at the head of the class.

(do you think him playing his college ball at Alabama has anything to do with him ending up on the ballot?)

I love Samuels but Trent Williams is better right now than Samuels has ever been in his life.

Not sure if I agree with you on that one. Samuels even from the very beginning I think was more consistent. As great as TW is, he's had a couple of awful games here and there. Just my opinion; not trying to be contentious.

Not sure if I agree with you on that one. Samuels even from the very beginning I think was more consistent. As great as TW is, he's had a couple of awful games here and there. Just my opinion; not trying to be contentious.

Agreed - to me Trent Williams is very frustrating. He has the talent and the work ethic to the best and he usually is. But he'll have a few plays almost every game, and sometimes entire games where he just has these "out to lunch" moments like helu against the texans. You just can't let that happen when you are the best.

Archived