Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If KC plays lights out, why can't we just go QBBC for the rest of the season?

brandymac27

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much when it comes to stats, etc. But if KC lights it up until RG3 is ready to come back, why couldn't we just go QBBC and play both of them instead of worrying about a QB controversy?

Seems to me like it would give us the best of both worlds. It'd be really tough to game plan against us, and we could showcase both our QB's for trade bait. But again, no QB controversy. Why couldn't we do it? So what if it's against the norm? We're the Redskins!

This isn't possible because splitting the practice reps like that would diminish the efficiency of both QBs. Starting QBs get 90% of the reps during the regular season. Splitting the reps doesn't afford either QB with enough time to practice the gameplan and also doesn't give them enough reps to build chemistry with their receivers. The results of this would be both QBs looking terrible on game day and a lot of mistakes.

I met a guy in a barbershop some years ago who coached peewee football, and he was adamant this could be done in the NFL because he rotated QBs for his team. Eventually, I got him to realize it was impossible. But a lot of people subscribe to this theory without knowing how much time and preparation goes into getting an offense ready to realistically win a game with just one QB.

Ok so apparently Princeton has done it. I'm just saying, it would be pretty damn hard to game plan when you don't know which QB you're up against.

Quarterback is a position where timing and chemistry with the other players is just so important. If I'm a defense, I'd rather not be sure which of two QBs I'll be facing than to have to face a QB who's on the same page as his receivers. You just won't get the same level of execution from QBs when they aren't getting consistent reps with their receivers.

Ok I get what you guys are saying, but by the time RG3 is physically ready to come back and play, both he and Cousins will have had ample time/reps/practice/whatever with the starters. That's why I don't understand why it couldn't work.

Now in any other circumstance I would completely agree with everything you guys are saying, but this situation is a little different.

Quarterback is a position where timing and chemistry with the other players is just so important. If I'm a defense, I'd rather not be sure which of two QBs I'll be facing than to have to face a QB who's on the same page as his receivers. You just won't get the same level of execution from QBs when they aren't getting consistent reps with their receivers.

Cousins coming in and doing what he did kind of negates your point, wouldn't it?

Cousins coming in and doing what he did kind of negates your point, wouldn't it?

Well in fairness, I totally get what he's saying. But because this is a league of "any given Sunday", I'm really curious as to why interchanging 2 QB's wouldn't work in THIS particular circumstance when both QB's would have had opportunity to gel with their teammates?

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much when it comes to stats, etc. But if KC lights it up until RG3 is ready to come back, why couldn't we just go QBBC and play both of them instead of worrying about a QB controversy?

Seems to me like it would give us the best of both worlds. It'd be really tough to game plan against us, and we could showcase both our QB's for trade bait. But again, no QB controversy. Why couldn't we do it? So what if it's against the norm? We're the Redskins!

I totally dig that idea, and always have, but I've always been a Spurrier fan (don't laugh, the dude has creds!) and he did that ALOT at Florida. IIRC, there was one game when he rotated 3.

And we girls who have followed this team forever aren't "just girls". I'm starting to embrace our new-found media hype...WE'RE IMPORTANT, DAMMIT!

HTTR!

.And we girls who have followed this team forever aren't "just girls". I'm starting to embrace our new-found media hype...WE'RE IMPORTANT, DAMMIT!HTTR!

Amen sister!

We might not know x's and o's like a lot of these guys here, but that's why we're members of ES. To learn from the best! These guys have been so patient with my football "ignorance" lol. And they're usually so informative and helpful, like KDawg, GHH, etc. That's why I love this place even though it can get crazy as hell sometimes lol.

And as far as the media, meh. Who cares what they think! Especially that loser Mike the dumbass Wise. Talk about an oxymoron!

Anyway, glad to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and yours :-)

I think Brandymac is sharking us, fellows.  I think she and some of our fellow lady ESers could X and O us under the table :cheers:

I think you also don't want to divide the leadership or tip your hand to the defense.  If you know Griffin coming in means these plays and Cousins means these plays then you've made life easier for the defense.  It's like they only have to read half the field.  Not quite, but kinda.

Aww Burg thanks for the kind words, even though I doubt I know half as much as you're giving us credit for :-). But I still dont understand why it wouldn't work!

Just seems to me like both QB's would have had enough opportunity to get into a groove with the starters. I mean at this point what do we really have to lose?

Well, for one thing... one of them is out with an injury ;)

I think the others have answered part of it which is reps and practice, I think my thing about if certain qbs only play under certain conditions or with certain packages it cues the defense too much, but I think there's a leadership factor too.  I think having one voice to rally around on the field makes a difference.

Other than that it could work, but convention and tradition say otherwise and the few times I remember seeing it the results weren't that great.  I think Randall Cunningham played QBBC early in his career.

Amen sister!

We might not know x's and o's like a lot of these guys here, but that's why we're members of ES. To learn from the best! These guys have been so patient with my football "ignorance" lol. 

Learn from the best? I think you have us all confused with someone who knows what they are talking about  :)

Learn from the best? I think you have us all confused with someone who knows what they are talking about  :)

Hey there! Don't sell yourself short. I've read plenty of your posts, and you along with others have taught me a lot!

But....even if it didn't work out in the past like Burg alluded to, doesn't mean it can't now. It seems to me like "tradition" says it won't work.....therefore we're too afraid to try it. Shrugs....

Even better... let's throw in McCoy into the QB rotation or how about Andre Roberts?  Gruden said if Cousins has gotten hurt last game Roberts would've been put in there.

Think about that 3 headed monster, RGIII, KC, and Andre Roberts?  You could line up RG at QB and KC at HB and Andre at FB , snap the ball, and play hot potato with the football so the D has no friggin idea where you're going to throw it and WHO is going to be the one throwing it.

:rolleyes:

How about this, with as fragile as RGIII is, I bet teams will automatically gameplan for both QBs lol!

I wouldn't mind it, it's come to the point where I don't even care who the quarterback of the team is anymore as long as he is healthy and can throw the ball to a receiver of the same team.. haha!

After watching last weeks game, even though it was the Jags, I'm of the opinion that if we run the ball and play defense like that we'll win a lot of games, our QB is of no importance, even McCoy can win games with this WR corps, run game and defense.

Maybe my feminine side was coming through, but that crossed my mind awhile back.

One better, it crossed my mind of having them BOTH in the backfield; the thought process was 'hey, the defenses wouldn't know who/how to react, creating confusion.

But, the main thing I didn't think about was it takes 1 WR/TE off the field thus limiting targets. I also think i was out of Dr.Pepper that morning, so my mind wasn't awake. :P

Well in fairness, I totally get what he's saying. But because this is a league of "any given Sunday", I'm really curious as to why interchanging 2 QB's wouldn't work in THIS particular circumstance when both QB's would have had opportunity to gel with their teammates?

Quarterbacks need to get into rhythms to be successful. If they're alternating series, it becomes really hard to get into and maintain rhythms.

Also, the foundation of a QB's success comes from the organization fully committing to him. ****footing around with Griffin or Cousins probably just means neither will work out long term.

We're committed to Griffin. We married him when we spent three firsts and a second on him. He's our guy when he gets back from injury, and will hopefully be here for the next ten + years. Kirk is here to hold down the fort while RGIII's injured and keep our season alive, and hopefully audition for other teams.

Hey there! Don't sell yourself short. I've read plenty of your posts, and you along with others have taught me a lot!

But....even if it didn't work out in the past like Burg alluded to, doesn't mean it can't now. It seems to me like "tradition" says it won't work.....therefore we're too afraid to try it. Shrugs....

I recall the Eagles under Buddy Ryan using both Jaws and a rookie Randall Cunningham in tandem. They would use Cunningham (the rookie!) as the QB on all 3rd and long situations. I mean what a way to develop a young passer - put him in in the worst possible situation, talk about throwing a guy to the wolves.

The theory was they wanted to use the threat of Cunninghams legs as a way to help improve conversions.

Lets just say it did not go well. 

Archived