Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.com: Can Kirk Cousins save the Redskins?

MustangSteve

This isn't the way anyone wanted it to happen, but those folks who thought Kirk Cousins was the Washington Redskins' best quarterback will get to see if they're right.

Griffin went down with an ugly dislocated left ankle less than six minutes into the Redskins' game against the  Jacksonville Jaguars, and he will undergo further tests Monday morning to learn more about the full severity of the injury.

The offense surged after Griffin's injury, on the way to a 41-10 win over Jacksonville, with Cousins in charge. It happened right away, actually, as Cousins threw a touchdown with Griffin on his back, being looked at by trainers on the sideline. That's a scene that unfortunately sums up the Redskins' situation. Griffin can't stay healthy, and struggled in Week 1 on top of that. 

Click link for rest http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/can-kirk-cousins-save-the-redskins--he-looked-great-sunday-with-rg3-out-202053430.html

To me this is no longer a debate about who can run this offense better. Cousins is the leader of this team for the next 6 weeks or so and he is the man I will be pulling for. I am a fan of the Washington Redskins and I want to see my team win this division and make some noise through the playoffs. I also know that we are only one injury away from having McCoy finish the season. Just win Redskins!

How do we truly know how high Kirk's ceiling is? I mean the way he looked yesterday maybe Kirk's ceiling is up there with Drew Brees. The point is you never know. I want to win football games now so I hope Kirk continues to perform and even gets better. I also hope RGIII heals up fast. RGIII was looking good yesterday as well. I'm just glad he didn't hurt his knee. Having two good QBs is a great problem to have.

How do we truly know how high Kirk's ceiling is? I mean the way he looked yesterday maybe Kirk's ceiling is up there with Drew Brees. The point is you never know. I want to win football games now so I hope Kirk continues to perform and even gets better. I also hope RGIII heals up fast. RGIII was looking good yesterday as well. I'm just glad he didn't hurt his knee. Having two good QBs is a great problem to have.

That's the fact, I think all Cousins needs is playing time and he will be a competent NFL starting QB, I also think this Redskins team is going to start winning games with Kirk in the drivers seat. Only time will tell the truth, but for right now I am feeling good about this Redskins team.

It's like people are starting to make excuses already. Cousins is a big boy, I expect excellence from him just like RG3.

I love it. That guy was just saying how RG3 hasn't proven anything in this league and that he needs to go. But he knows Cousins is a better fit for the offense and Gruden just can't say it to the press. But if Cousins doesn't win any games for us, it's definitely not his fault. I mean Cousins has no reason to get criticized, he has career Comp% of 58! Guy is a stud!

I hope people aren't expecting Cousins to beat Seattle or Denver or those power house teams.

With our Defense playing as good as they are, this team has a good shot at winning games.I loved what I saw yesterday from this team, how do we know the Redskins won't be one of those power house teams, the fact is we don't. Cousins shredded a defense without his #1 receiver and TE . I saw the Chargers beat Seattle yesterday, on any given day in this league.

Maybe not Cousins, but if you say the Washington Redskins as a team, then my hopes are better, especially if all aspects are playing like they did sunday.

Damn strait!

lTo me this is no longer a debate about who can run this offense better. Cousins is the leader of this team for the next 6 weeks or so and he is the man I will be pulling for. I am a fan of the Washington Redskins and I want to see my team win this division and make some noise through the playoffs. I also know that we are only one injury away from having McCoy finish the season. Just win Redskins!

Agree.  What's the mystery to Frank Schwab? When a player goes down the next steps in.  Im behind Cousins.

I love it. That guy was just saying how RG3 hasn't proven anything in this league and that he needs to go. But he knows Cousins is a better fit for the offense and Gruden just can't say it to the press. But if Cousins doesn't win any games for us, it's definitely not his fault. I mean Cousins has no reason to get criticized, he has career Comp% of 58! Guy is a stud!

Way to change my words around.  I said that I hope the RG3 fans aren't expecting Cousins to be a miracle saver against a really good team.

I actually think we'll have a chance to beat seattle this season. its a monday night game, its at fedex field...we were beating them 14-0 in the playoffs before Griffin got injured. if Kirk and the whole team plays like yesterday, we'll have a good chance to win that game. these next 3 weeks will be interesting for sure...

I hope people aren't expecting Cousins to beat Seattle or Denver or those power house teams.

It's a whole team effort. If Cousins takes what the defense gives him and doesn't turn the ball over we can absolutely win those types of games. Not sure why you want to act like Cousins is a scrub. The offense hasn't looked that good since 2012. The defense is improved big time. Quit your Cousins hating and enjoy the ride. 

Actually, this "report" if you choose to believe it or not says that Gruden may have realized that Cousins was better suited to run the West Coast offense.  I have posted similarly.  I truly believe that Gruden didn't know what he was getting himself into with Griffin.  Please don't take that the wrong way. What I mean is this: Coaches who run systems and try to change players into their system are dumb IMO.  If you are all about a system, you should seek players suited for your system.  Great coaches in the NFL adapt their system to the talent they have.  I think Shannahan was a good coach, he/they tried to use a pro type offense with Griffin in the beginning of 2012 and that didn't have great results so they simplified the offense and added the read option... bam, wins pile up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395153/article/kirk-cousins-better-fit-for-grudens-offense-than-rgiii

Week 1, Griffin looked uncomfortable and like he was trying to learn a new offense that he was completely unfamiliar with.  Week 2, enter the read option.  Right off the bat, Griffin looked better.  After Griffin was injured, Cousins comes in and he is making multiple reads as opposed to Griffin's one look then run approach.  (with Griffin, the threat of the Run often gets the first guy open).  Don't believe me?  That's what most of the analysts were showing on film.  Griffin was at a disadvantage and didn't want to be a read option qb even though that's where his success came from.  I feel bad that he got hurt, no one wants anyone to be injured, but, that's what happens to running qb's. 

Now, do I think Cousins is the savior? Probably not. I bet he looks bad in 3 of the 4 upcoming games and Griffin will get another shot.  But, I do know this.... If Griffin is going to be successful, it makes no sense to try to force him to be something he's not.

My money is on Kirk. It's simply foolish to believe he could not have improved over these last few years. When he played last year the entire team was out of sync. He did no worse than RG3. This year he is surrounded by much more talent including a much improved O line. If you were expecting RG3 to improve over time, why would you not expect the same of Kirk?

In another thread, TK warned of defenses finding Kirk's weakness with more game tape. But if that's true, isn't it possible that they had already done that with RG3? I'm not saying that in time he could not gain the advantage again but he was clearly struggling. Even in this game, he played much better but still looked uncomfortable and was slow to let the ball go at times. The biggest advantage RG3 was supposed to bring to the table was his mobility but he hasn't even been able to do that since his injury. Which of course brings us to the elephant in the room... Can he even stay healthy?

As defenses gain more tape on Kirk, what are they going to find? I'm not sure but I suspect it won't be much help. The guy can make every throw. His arm looks much stronger than his first year. In the pre-season people complained that he wasn't going against first round talent, but that doesn't change the fact that his balls were on time and on target consistently. He looked no different yesterday. He understands the offense and reads defenses well, directing his receivers and throwing them open. If we can protect him and run the ball well I think he can really be great.

On a personal level, I feel horrible for Robert. But my prediction is that he is out for some time and Cousins is going to establish himself and make it difficult to put Robert back in if we are in the playoff hunt and Cousins is playing the way he did yesterday. 

Definitely think that article was worded a bit strongly and a bit over the top.

In another thread, TK warned of defenses finding Kirk's weakness with more game tape. But if that's true, isn't it possible that they had already done that with RG3? I'm not saying that in time he could not gain the advantage again but he was clearly struggling. Even in this game, he played much better but still looked uncomfortable and was slow to let the ball go at times.

Every player has weaknesses.

You adjust, improve, and do what it takes to move the ball down the field in the direction you want it to go.

I like Kirk, don't get me wrong, guy just reminds me of a younger, slightly more accurate Grossman. He's a guy you feel comfortable with if he has to start a couple games, but I just don't think he's your franchise QB. I could be very wrong, but that's my impression so far. Kirk's 58% career comp% and his 1:1 TD:INT ratio don't inspire much confidence in me as of right now.

I like Kirk, don't get me wrong, guy just reminds me of a younger, slightly more accurate Grossman. He's a guy you feel comfortable with if he has to start a couple games, but I just don't think he's your franchise QB. I could be very wrong, but that's my impression so far. Kirk's 58% career comp% and his 1:1 TD:INT ratio don't inspire much confidence in me as of right now.

I can agree with this. I just don't think Griffin is a franchise QB either.

Interesting tidbits from Bill Barnwell of Grantland: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-week-2-wrap-buffalo-new-orleans/

Against bad competition and with first-team practice reps, Cousins somehow played worse. His turnover rate thankfully improved, but it was still far worse than Griffin’s rate in the same offense; even if you include only Griffin’s numbers from his supposedly disastrous 2013 campaign, he turned the ball over once every 25.2 touches. Of the 47 quarterbacks who threw 200 passes or more in the regular season and playoffs between 2012 and 2013, Cousins was 43rd in completion percentage and yards per attempt, 44th in passer rating, and 46th in interception rate. His rate numbers are an almost exact duplicate for Mark Sanchez’s final season as the starter in New York, when he completed 54.3 percent of his passes and averaged 6.4 yards per attempt. Cousins turns the ball over more frequently than Sanchez did that final year, and he didn’t even get attacked by any offensive linemen.

While 213 passes isn’t an enormous sample, of course, plenty of other quarterbacks have been written off in far smaller doses. Cousins was very good Sunday, but it was against a terrible Jacksonville pass defense that left the likes of Niles Paul and Andre Roberts wide open. I lost count of how many times I saw Cousins complete a pass to a receiver who had nobody within three yards. If he gets to play the Jaguars every week, Cousins will be a star. Perhaps Gruden has suddenly turned Cousins into a self-aware, accurate passer. Given that I saw dropped Cousins interceptions during the preseason and on Sunday, though, I’m skeptical.

Kirk kind of reminds me of Alex Smith. A game manager type QB that can win with a good team around him, who can make some plays, but won't be the type to make magic happen. He also has a bit of Favre flair to him, in his attitude to sling the rock and take chances. I think we can win with him, but the team has to play well. I'm not sure, at least at this point, he's the type to put the entire team on his back and carry it to victory.

That said, he definitly looked more decisive than RGIII did in the first game. He makes his reads quicker. He doesn't have the athleticism or arm strength that RG has, but his quicker decisions can help alleviate that.

Archived