Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time for fan support, not QB controversy

Bacon

This has been a rough day. Though we broke our nine-game losing streak in a resounding fashion, our future feels dim with little hope of a franchise QB residing on our depth chart. Frustrated, hopeless posts have clouded the mood of the board despite the win. A thread entitled "I've never been so sad after a blowout" says it all.

But I don't want this thread to contribute to that, as much as I sympathize. When the injuries started piling up and I saw Robert carted off, eyes full of tears and face contorted in pain, I very nearly threw my RG3 jersey in the garbage. Not because I was angry with him, but because I let myself get pulled in again. It always happens. **** always happens.

But isn't that how things always are? It's nearly impossible to keep your head up all the time, but I hope that we, as a fanbase, can do that in this one area at least. For Kirk, Robert and the other 51 men on the roster that have worked so hard to make 2014 a special year, let's not give up. Let's support the next man up, unabashedly. For the posters here that are having an extremely difficult time coping with the injury and are, as I read elsewhere on the board "more depressed than last week," try to keep in the forefront of your mind what you can do to help. Fact is, there isn't much, but one thing you can do is cheer.

Please support Cousins. Set all biases aside and, if you have been thinking otherwise, realize that Cousins wants just as much to win as Robert or any of us on ES. He is the next man up and, in any other instance, the unquestioned man of the hour. Instead, I'm seeing a lot of unnecessary bickering and dick measuring over what could be a potential benefit. We really don't know what we have in him. Try to be optimistic. Remember the sick feeling in your stomach at 1 PM week 1 of the 2012 season and how quickly it disappeared. Maybe Cousins could be that guy for us. Maybe not. But give him a chance.

As far as Robert is concerned, there really isn't much you can do either. If you believe in it, pray for him. If you don't, at least take to twitter and send him some well-wishes. He is on there often and I know he would appreciate the positivity. Even if you're frustrated with Robert's performance/antics, he is a human being that has worked extremely hard for this team. Perhaps too hard. That's the kind of person he is. He deserves our support. I know we don't all agree 100% with his personal choices, but he's a good guy with a big heart that will be back the moment he can. Think of all the QBs we all give grief to for their lack of work ethic and contrast that with Robert.

Above all, just be positive. Robert's MRI is in a few hours, but we know nothing yet. In a worse case scenario, there are still reasons to watch on Sunday: at least we have a season of questions left to be answered. They're just not the questions we thought were going to be asked in 2014.

I don't feel like the team's future is dim. RG3's is which sucks because if anyone deserves to get a fair shake at being a legend, it's him. Great person and a great talent.

But I think we'll be ok. Hopefully, RG3 hits the rehab hard and doesn't rush anything.

I don't feel like the team's future is dim. RG3's is which sucks because if anyone deserves to get a fair shake at being a legend, it's him. Great person and a great talent.

But I think we'll be ok. Hopefully, RG3 hits the rehab hard and doesn't rush anything.

Yeah, maybe it's harsh for me to say that we're in trouble. I have no idea. Haslett's startling turnaround over the past couple of weeks gives me hope. Cousins beat up on a bad defense, but our defense couldn't beat up on anyone last year the way we did the Jags today, so I take that as the best sign of all. 10 sacks! Holy ****!

Totally agreed that Robert deserves his time in the sun. Real bummer, but we'll see how it goes.

Nice little monday morning read, thanks.

Yesterday was not a good day for the team; we lost our starting QB to another injury. It sucks, hopefully he can heal properly and not be in a rush to get back behind center. Last time, it was a damn circus between Griffin and Mike Shanahan and the media eating it up like free breadsticks, and it did no one any good at all, especially Griffin.

We all know what happened last time Griffin was hurt; our emotion was body-slammed against the Seahawks in the playoffs, and adfter that we were hoping he would come back better than ever, but the entire ordeal was a mess; finger pointing, media using, and it cost a HC his job in the end.

Luckily, one of Mike's bright spots was drafting Cousins later on in the draft. The kid has done nothing but help in any way he could, but he was put into a position that had people taking sides, separating a fanbase. We might not have seen the playoffs in 2012 if not for Cousins, so he deserves the credit for the job he's done, not only then, but now.  Now, he's going to be the starter for awhile, and it is under a totally different set of circumstances than the end of 2013, make no mistake about it.

So, as Bacon has so definitively put it, support the team, and everyone on the team, not one person. We all will be hoping Griffin has a speedy recovery, but until he is fully healed, mentally and physically, don't rush him back, we do not need another repeat of 2013, I doubt this site could hold up. We shouldn't expect Cousins to step in and play like this week in and out, although it would be nice, but support the guy, just as Griffin is supporting him. We all want to see a winning team, regardless of who is behind center.

As the clip of Robert going down came up on RedZone last night, I realised two things. Firstly that any media or fan-generated controversy is completely irrelevant. No matter how they found their way onto this team, whoever lines up under centre in THAT burgundy and gold uniform is going to get my full support. What matters to me more than anything else is seeing my team win and I'm wishing the best of luck to anybody who is capable of contributing to that.

I also couldn't care less what the outcome of the trade to get Griffin turns out to be. Unless the Rams develop into a generational powerhouse, or Griffin stays healthy forever more and leads the team to ultimate success, nobody really wins or loses. The risk was worth it - the loss of first rounders is something that is overcome in a shorter timeframe than many believe.

I hope, more than anything else, that Cousins' limitations are overstated and that with extended playing time he can overcome them AND that Griffin's injury is just another setback that won't have a long-term negative impact on his career. No reason why any fan of this team should feel any different.

Sucks for Robert, because the injury was something that could have happened to ANYONE.  He wasn't out there being reckless, it was just a routine football play.  That being said, I'm very excited to see what Kirk can do when the games are meaningful.  Hopefully he makes the most out of his opportunity. 

Sucks for Robert, because the injury was something that could have happened to ANYONE.  He wasn't out there being reckless, it was just a routine football play.  That being said, I'm very excited to see what Kirk can do when the games are meaningful.  Hopefully he makes the most out of his opportunity. 

That's the worst part, it was just a freak injury. Not like he got hit on a read option play or something like that. That was a normal play you see just about any QB make. Just happened to come down awkwardly on his ankle. Did the field have something to do with it? No idea. But I would think after 2 big injuries to him on our home turf, we may see more rumblings for field turf again.

I hope Cousins can lead this team to some wins in RG3's abscence. I'm interested to see how Cosuins looks against good teams. The Jags are bad and didn't gamplan for him. If he can get us wins in 2 of the next 3, I'll be very impressed.

OP reminds me of Stuart Smalley.  Stop being delusional.  Fans and our sentiment have no impact on the game.  Supporting people 100 percent does nothing.  You sound like a redskins  talking head.  

This injury and the situation the redskins currently find themselves in is very unusual and their can only be 1 qb.  This is a controversy.  And if you think it will end in any other way you are wrong.  

RG3 may go down in time as the most divisive qb in skins history. 

OP reminds me of Stuart Smalley.  Stop being delusional.  Fans and our sentiment have no impact on the game.  Supporting people 100 percent does nothing.  You sound like a redskins  talking head.  

This injury and the situation the redskins currently find themselves in is very unusual and their can only be 1 qb.  This is a controversy.  And if you think it will end in any other way you are wrong.  

You are in the wrong thread. You might even be on the wrong message board.

Do I sound like a delusional fan, a Redskins talking head or both? Because talking heads did, in fact, have a terribly negative influence on the way the team performed last year. Fans have an impact too. Players and, hopefully to a far lesser extent, coaches read social media, Robert chief among them. If he didn't, he wouldn't be so quick to address his "haters." If the vibe in the fanbase is crappy, they're aware. It's ignorant of how media works to believe otherwise. Even this board has close ties to the organization (it's been used many times as a source by publications looking to synthesize their very own controversies). Why fill the board up with bickering?

Just support both players. It's an innocuous enough sentiment.  :lol:

Stop trolling man.   Even KC said this is Roberts team.  You have no idea how KC will perform in Griffin's absence, so it's premature to assume there is a controversy.  The Jax game could be the norm, or an anomaly; we just don't know yet.   

If Cousins plays well and Griffin is only out for 4-6 (I'm no doctor, but that seems like a short time table) there will be a controversy, for sure. There's no way around it. And that's kind of the way we want it, isn't it? Let me clarify what I mean: We're fans of the Washington Redskins. Which means we root for the jersey, not the name on the back of it. Most of us love Griffin and see how good he can be. And most of us realize that his potential is so through the roof that it's ridiculous.

But, we want this team to win. Regardless of who is at quarterback. And if we're winning, that probably means that Cousins is playing well. So now, do you bench Cousins for Griffin on the premise that no starter should lose their job because of injury, and in the process remove the hot hand? And in the same vein, if Griffin struggles, he's dog meat in DC. The media will have a collective field day. On the flip, if he comes back like he started the game yesterday, then we know we have a quality back up for one more year and then need to address the need (McCoy?). Or do you risk Griffin becoming frustrated (likely privately, he's not the type of person to cause a public riff with the team) and possibly demanding a trade?

I don't know the answer, and there is undoubtedly a controversy brewing one way or the other.

But the takeaway I get from the OP is the overall message: Whatever happens with who our quarterback is, let's support them. Both guys can play. They're different in a lot of ways, but similar in the fact that they both can lead a team and deserve respect. We as fans need to rally around the quarterback position, and no matter what opinion you have about who should be the starter (and we're all entitled to that) let's support whoever is under center for us on Sundays.

Good post, Bacon.

Nice thread. 

I think what is most important for this fan base is for Allen/Gruden to establish a culture and identity with this team. If things go right, they will both be here longer than any one QB, RB, WR, LB, etc. Therefore, we need to forget which specific player is under center (or in the shotgun) or in the backfield or split out wide and root for Gruden to be the next great head coach for this organization. 

That way, we can have confidence and faith that our team will compete each week regardless of which players are wearing the jerseys. Given the fact that we have started drafting a little better, we have home-grown guys contributing all over the field. Our RBs are all drafted relatively late, our QBs are both drafted, and even a couple of our pass catchers (specifically the ones that contributed the most yesterday) are our guys. 

I feel bad for Griffin as a person. I think he's a really good guy and an extremely hard worker. He is certainly a gifted athlete, but just might not be built for pro football. Cousins on the other hand could be the type of QB that works better here. Time will tell. But, to me the point is that we don't really have to concern ourselves with who is the long-term answer. If Gruden works out, we will keep the right guy and continue to improve. 

The Patriots went through a similar issue when Belichick was their coach. Their franchise QB, though older, was injured and Tom Brady stepped in. I'm not saying that this situation has to have the same outcome. What I'm saying is that the Patriots were well positioned to deal with that situation because they had a HOF coach. They didn't miss a beat and ascended into a dynasty. Whether Cousins pulls a Brady and takes over the team or Griffin recovers and continues his ascent, the key is that we give Gruden the chance to mold this team into his vision and become a great coach. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that a great team is much more critical to success than any one player. 

I'm confused but encouraged by yesterday...it will be interesting to see how everything unfolds over the next several months. 

Good post, Bacon!  I agree.  I heart RG3, but that doesn't mean I wasn't rooting hard for KC when he came in.  It is ok to support whoever is the QB w/o throwing dirt on the guy who isn't.  

And this is just the nature of the game.  Next man up.  Root for Reed, but was glad to see Paul play well.  Big Cofield fan, but was happy to see Swaggy Baker shine at Nose.  DJax went down, but Roberts and Grant stepped up.

HAIL.

If Cousins plays well and Griffin is only out for 4-6 (I'm no doctor, but that seems like a short time table) there will be a controversy, for sure. There's no way around it. And that's kind of the way we want it, isn't it? Let me clarify what I mean: We're fans of the Washington Redskins. Which means we root for the jersey, not the name on the back of it. Most of us love Griffin and see how good he can be. And most of us realize that his potential is so through the roof that it's ridiculous.

But, we want this team to win. Regardless of who is at quarterback. And if we're winning, that probably means that Cousins is playing well. So now, do you bench Cousins for Griffin on the premise that no starter should lose their job because of injury, and in the process remove the hot hand? And in the same vein, if Griffin struggles, he's dog meat in DC. The media will have a collective field day. On the flip, if he comes back like he started the game yesterday, then we know we have a quality back up for one more year and then need to address the need (McCoy?). Or do you risk Griffin becoming frustrated (likely privately, he's not the type of person to cause a public riff with the team) and possibly demanding a trade?

I don't know the answer, and there is undoubtedly a controversy brewing one way or the other.

But the takeaway I get from the OP is the overall message: Whatever happens with who our quarterback is, let's support them. Both guys can play. They're different in a lot of ways, but similar in the fact that they both can lead a team and deserve respect. We as fans need to rally around the quarterback position, and no matter what opinion you have about who should be the starter (and we're all entitled to that) let's support whoever is under center for us on Sundays.

Good post, Bacon.

Well put.  My only argument is that, right now, there is no controversy.  KC is our starter as we speak, and we should support him as such.  And as you said, there could be a controversy brewing; but we won't know for several weeks based on how KC plays. 

Good post, Bacon.

If Cousins lights it up for the remainder of his starts this season, we are most certainly going to face a brutal QB controversy. But for now, he's 2-3 as a starter. Any QB controversies being formulated on the board are petty and a waste of time. We should all hope that he piles up the wins because, as you say, it's a great problem to have. At bare minimum, it will increase his future trade value (not that anyone in the FO would let him go at this point). 

If KC "lights it up", then that means we are winning games and that means he'll be the unquestioned starter

I disagree. I can't envision any scenario where Cousins is the unquestioned starter over a healthy Griffin. If we make the playoffs under Cousins, it'll be a highly publicized training camp battle in 2015.

I disagree. I can't envision any scenario where Cousins is the unquestioned starter over a healthy Griffin. If we make the playoffs under Cousins, it'll be a highly publicized training camp battle in 2015.

If he's playing well and winning games, why would you ruin a good thing?

You gotta think of it from Gruden's POV. Griffin's amazing season occurred under Shanahan, not him. In this hypothetical situation, KC would have excelled in his system while RG3 was iffy albeit in limited chances. Gruden isn't gonna endanger himself to a QB he really isn't tied to.

This is all hypothetical btw

That's the worst part, it was just a freak injury. Not like he got hit on a read option play or something like that. That was a normal play you see just about any QB make. Just happened to come down awkwardly on his ankle. Did the field have something to do with it? No idea. But I would think after 2 big injuries to him on our home turf, we may see more rumblings for field turf again.

Cmon, that was not a normal play you see any QB make.  That may have been one of the first bootlegs I've ever seen where the QB tries to stiff-arm a linebacker.  A routine bootleg would be to fake the handoff, turn to the opposite direction, take 6 or 7 steps and then release the ball.  Supposing nobody is open, a lot of times what you'll see is the QB stop running, wait a split second for something to open up, and then throw the ball away (usually at the ground like Cousins did on a blown-up screen play later in the game).

If doing an all-out sprint to the sideline and stiff-arming the linebacker was a routine part of the bootleg, we would see a lot more injuries to QBs than we normally do.

Cousins runs the bootleg a lot.  How many times have you seen him stiff-arm a LB?  Matter of fact, how many times have you seen him actually get hit on a bootleg?

I'm not trying to rub anything in or say I told you so.  I just think it would be a little bit delusional to just write this off as some freak accident, RG3 was doing everything right, etc.  This is part of how he plays.  How many times have you seen him string the play out as long as possible by sprinting out to the sideline, only to get clocked by a defender right as he's throwing the ball?  That's the way he plays.

Do I sound like a delusional fan, a Redskins talking head or both? Because talking heads did, in fact, have a terribly negative influence on the way the team performed last year. Fans have an impact too. Players and, hopefully to a far lesser extent, coaches read social media, Robert chief among them. If he didn't, he wouldn't be so quick to address his "haters." If the vibe in the fanbase is crappy, they're aware. It's ignorant of how media works to believe otherwise. Even this board has close ties to the organization (it's been used many times as a source by publications looking to synthesize their very own controversies). Why fill the board up with bickering?

Just support both players. It's an innocuous enough sentiment.  :lol:

I'm sorry for taking a personal shot at you bacon.  I did not mean to make this a personal issue.  I just  feel like this post feels like a small town parent saying support the team support the team where the rest of us are capable of a higher level of thinking than just blind loyalty.  

I agree with you that i hate the bickering on this board , however when opposing views are able to discuss their ideas intelligently then that fosters a sense of discourse which is something your Support the team 100 percent and support everyone 100 percent stifles..   That is why i am against it.

Obviously im in the best interest of the redskins but that my idea of the best interest of the skins is going to be wildly different from the next fan and their view is going to be different from the next fan as well. 

Archived