Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

ROUND 1:

Wednesday, April 15 7 p.m. NY Islanders 4 - Washington 1

Friday, April 17 7 p.m. NY Islanders 3 - Washington 4 

Sunday, April 19 Noon Washington 1 - NY Islanders 2 (OT, sort of)

Tuesday, April 21 7:30 p.m. Washington 2 - NY Islanders 1 (OT)

*Thursday, April 23 7:00 NY Islanders 1 - Washington 5

*Saturday, April 25 3:00 p.m. Washington 1 - NY Islanders 3

*Monday, April 27 7:30 p.m. NY Islanders 1 - Washington 2

ROUND 2:

Thursday, April 30, 7:30 p.m.  Washington 2 - NY Rangers 1

Saturday, May 2, 12:30 p.m.  Washington 2 - NY Rangers 3

Monday, May 4, 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers 1 - Washington 2

Wednesday, May 6, 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers 1 - Washington 2

*Friday, May 8, 7:00 p.m. Washington 1 - NY Rangers 2 (OT)

*Sunday, May 10, 7:00 p.m. Rangers 4 - Capitals 3

*Game 7 - Wednesday, May 13, 7:30 p.m. - Washington 1 - NY Rangers 2 (OT)

I think the Caps will be much better under Trotz.  I'm most excited to see how he uses Tom Wilson.  No reason for him not to be a 10-15 goal scorer this year.  In addition, I have a feeling that Carlson will flourish under Trotz's tutilage much like Suter did.  I'm actually predicting Carlson to become a top-10 defenseman this season. 

The Caps have one of the most explosive players in the league, a decent (not perfect by any means, but decent) supporting cast, they made big moves in free agency, and they solved the biggest problem this franchise has had over the past 15 years (getting rid of McPhail as GM).  As a lifelong fan (and season ticketholder), I'm surprised I'm not overly excited about them right now.  I guess letdown after letdown will do that to you.

I do think they have the talent to do something this year, and I'm sure I'll be fully locked-in once the puck drops on Opening Night.

The reason that we aren't all really excited is that Ted Leonsis hired from within after saying the roster needed fresh eyes. I think the new GM is going to be a major bust that really only may benefit, ironically, from some good young prospects tht GMGM drafted.

Seriously, who wouldn't be more excited if we didn't have one of the assistant GMs from Boston or Chicago paired with Trotz? I would feel a lot better about the season cause I don't think the team would have overpaid for two mediocre defensemen.

The reason that we aren't all really excited is that Ted Leonsis hired from within after saying the roster needed fresh eyes. I think the new GM is going to be a major bust that really only may benefit, ironically, from some good young prospects tht GMGM drafted.

Seriously, who wouldn't be more excited if we didn't have one of the assistant GMs from Boston or Chicago paired with Trotz? I would feel a lot better about the season cause I don't think the team would have overpaid for two mediocre defensemen.

I hear you, but I am going to give MacLellan the benefit of the doubt.  I was so jaded with McPhee, that I think anyone is an upgrade at this point.  GMGM's level of postseason success after '98 was abysmal.  And who knows how much of a hand MacLellan had in personnel moves over the past several years?

I too think they grossly overpaid for Orpik and Niskanen, but I applaud ownership for having the balls to actually do something instead of standing pat (again) and hoping things work themselves out.  The Caps window has been closing for the past several years, lots of fans who jumped on the bright red bandwagon have hopped off, and management knows this.  They were never going anywhere with the blueline they had last year, and impact defenseman are usually never available in trades unless you are willing to part with your best prospects.  If you are drowning in the middle of the ocean, and someone sails along and offers you a lifejacket for your right arm, you are going to make the deal.  The Caps did what they had to do in FA this summer, giving out contracts that they normally would never agree to.  I hope it works out.

I hear you, but I am going to give MacLellan the benefit of the doubt.  I was so jaded with McPhee, that I think anyone is an upgrade at this point.  GMGM's level of postseason success after '98 was abysmal.  And who knows how much of a hand MacLellan had in personnel moves over the past several years?

I too think they grossly overpaid for Orpik and Niskanen, but I applaud ownership for having the balls to actually do something instead of standing pat (again) and hoping things work themselves out.  The Caps window has been closing for the past several years, lots of fans who jumped on the bright red bandwagon have hopped off, and management knows this.  They were never going anywhere with the blueline they had last year, and impact defenseman are usually never available in trades unless you are willing to part with your best prospects.  If you are drowning in the middle of the ocean, and someone sails along and offers you a lifejacket for your right arm, you are going to make the deal.  The Caps did what they had to do in FA this summer, giving out contracts that they normally would never agree to.  I hope it works out.

I disagree with doing something for the sake of doing something especially at the expense of the center position which is the weakest position in the organization. If they were going to do something, move on without Laich, MoJo, etc. At the end of the day, Leonsis didn't have the balls to really shake up the organization with an outside voice.

I disagree with doing something for the sake of doing something especially at the expense of the center position which is the weakest position in the organization. If they were going to do something, move on without Laich, MoJo, etc. At the end of the day, Leonsis didn't have the balls to really shake up the organization with an outside voice.

Orpik and Niskanen won't be winning any Norris trophies, but they are a clear upgrade over all but 2 of our current defenseman. Sticking with the blueline we had last year would've guaranteed another lost season. 

I agree with you about the center spot.  My hope is either someone steps up, or the forward talent can sustain us until the deadline when we could add someone without as much worries about cap space.  Having a center emerge from in-house or trade is a lot more likely than finding an impact defenseman in-house or via trade.

You cannot give Orpik that much money over 7 years, I'm sorry.  That was a careless deal, not a gutsy deal.  We will regret it. The ONLY good thing is that the no trade clause in his contract is limited to 8 teams.  Still a brutal signing when we have no center depth.

Orpik was 5 years, $27.5 million. The other contract was 7 years, $40 mill or something like that. I agree with your point either way. It's a ridiculous contract that will hurt for years.

Orpik and Niskanen won't be winning any Norris trophies, but they are a clear upgrade over all but 2 of our current defenseman. Sticking with the blueline we had last year would've guaranteed another lost season. 

I agree with you about the center spot.  My hope is either someone steps up, or the forward talent can sustain us until the deadline when we could add someone without as much worries about cap space.  Having a center emerge from in-house or trade is a lot more likely than finding an impact defenseman in-house or via trade.

We don't know who might have been available via trade cause we have an in-house GM that overvalues his own players. Seriously, I understand your perspective, but you can't just give out whatever to whomever for the sake of change. Orpik is an older, slower player trending down. Maybe the Caps get a year or two out of him which doesn't do much good if the team has no center depth.

Yes, I forgot 5 years.  Regardless, it is a crippling deal.  This franchise is just like the Redskins, a laughing stock.  Only difference is there are more playoff spots in the NHL.  Had a chance to get a fresh perspective and they hire a guy from the organization. No Brian, Laich isn't durable and reliable and yes, Johansson is essentially useless outside of his skating ability.

If we'd traded Green when we could have, years ago, we could have some better pieces.  Now everyone knows he's a soft, injury-prone overrated player.

I mean you let Grabo walk and say "**** it, we have glass man Laich and cream puff Mojo to play center!"

Hopefully they try Kuyz there

I'm only excited to watch him and Burvosky (sp)

Ideal Burakovsky gets to stay down for a year or two to marinade.  But if he's what's best for the team he's best for the team.  I'm all in for Ovechkin here. 

Handedness does that to you.

:lol:

That's what we need in here, PJ. 

I played Saturday down here in NC with some dudes who played Juniors up in Big 10 country.  Got checked harder than I ever have in my life.  Loose tooth and bruise on my cheek bone.  I'm ready to watch some puck for sure.

30 isn't really that old, but man, it's definitely different than 25.

Archived