Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TK's Sportsbar: The official '14 season Twitter thread, whatnot free, Almond Milk included, Fat Tire Sponsored

SWFLSkins

Trent Williams' answer every time I ask him how his knee is feeling? "I'm fine. I'll play Sunday. Its really not that bad" #Redskins

#Redskins defense could use some improvement in certain third-down situations. http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/redskins-defense-vulnerable-third-and-short … #RedskinsTalk

haha. wow yeah that is sad. "He Will Lieu"? How does the HOME stadium not know how to spell HELU? i mean, we have a roster sheet, it should be pretty accessible, right?

they know how to spell it... i was an attempt at humor by coming up with a nickname ala how chris berman does...

Larry Fitzgerald on Logan Thomas' passes: "His ball changes the direction of the wind."

maybe not on purpose. but there could be a chance that someone messed up and made a mistake. i dont know though. still, for the home stadium to have "He Will Lieu" on that screen is pretty bad.

there's no way that was a mistake... you can't go from a single 4-letter word to 3 words without it being done intentionally...  c'mon man... think about it....

there's no way that was a mistake... you can't go from a single 4-letter word to 3 words without it being done intentionally...  c'mon man... think about it....

but theres no way the home stadium did that as a joke. if they did it as a joke, thats bad and something that needs to be fixed.

You mean you've never seen terrible closed captioning before? You realize those boards are there for assistance for the hearing impaired right, and that sometimes the people who operate them can't keep up or even know the details of what they're transcribing.

Hell those boards were the result of one of many lawsuits filed against Dan Snyder. 

http://www.proskauer.com/publications/client-alert/fourth-circuit-holds-ada-requires-expanded-access/

It's crazy that Bashaud Breeland got home on this play. CB blitz from far side of field, no cheat.

Bzi5Id_CYAA8BWu.jpg

You mean you've never seen terrible closed captioning before? You realize those boards are there for assistance for the hearing impaired right, and that sometimes the people who operate them can't keep up or even know the details of what they're transcribing.

Nope.. didn't realize those boards are for hearing-impaired people...  Still hard to imagine a mistake so egregious to the extent of making someone's 4-letter name into 3 words...   but perhaps, the message board was tied into the qb headset that night

Rak notorious for "nothing to prove." Thing is, every single current Redskin has something to prove. And team has everything to prove.

Nope.. didn't realize those boards are for hearing-impaired people...  Still hard to imagine a mistake so egregious to the extent of making someone's 4-letter name into 3 words...   but perhaps, the message board was tied into the qb headset that night

After doing a little more research, it probably isn't even a human controlling those boards at this point.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/why-tv-captions-are-so-terrible/373283/

Machine translation is responsible for much of today’s closed-captioning and subtitling of broadcast and online streaming video. It can’t register sarcasm, context, or word emphasis. It can’t capture the cacophonous sounds of multiple voices speaking at once, essential for understand the voice of an angry crowd of protestors or a cheering crowd. It just types what it registers. Imagine watching classic baseball comedy Major League and only hearing the sound of one fan shouting from the stands. Or only hearing every other line of lightning-fast dialogue when watching reruns of the now-classic sitcom 30 Rock.

After doing a little more research, it probably isn't even a human controlling those boards at this point.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/why-tv-captions-are-so-terrible/373283/

your quote from the article seems to be about closed-captioning on your television and not for the message boards at a stadium, but i suppose it could be controlled by computer...   still...  if that was the case, what was the computer listening to when coming up with that mess?  if anything, it should have been something like 'helooo' or something similar, unless for some ungodly reason, the computer heard someone in the booth actually come up with a nickname of sorts....

98 after MNF. "Phenomenal effort."

Bzi8OK2CMAAOAnp.jpg

your quote from the article seems to be about closed-captioning on your television and not for the message boards at a stadium, but i suppose it could be controlled by computer...   still...  if that was the case, what was the computer listening to when coming up with that mess?  if anything, it should have been something like 'helooo' or something similar, unless for some ungodly reason, the computer heard someone in the booth actually come up with a nickname of sorts.

Dude, it wasn't a wannabe Chris Berman coming up with a nickname, it was an operator or machine error from being unable to properly hear the PA system. You are really, really reaching on this one.

Here's what happens when YouTube tries to auto-caption their videos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/29/funny-youtube-caption-fai_n_516866.html

saw on the redskins fb page the pictures of pierre garcons pizza restaraunt opening tonight (last night?) and the players were there. the comments of two fans really stuck out to me. one guy was like "they need to be practicing with that record js" (js=just sayin, for all you oldies on here). I'm like "pretty sure they have been practicing..you know this event was at night-time, right? you expect the team to practice at 8 pm? lol wowwwww". and one guy said "try focusing on football and only football during the season". im like "at 8 PM? dude...be realistic".

Dude, it wasn't a wannabe Chris Berman coming up with a nickname, it was an operator or machine error from being unable to properly hear the PA system. You are really, really reaching on this one.

Here's what happens when YouTube tries to auto-caption their videos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/29/funny-youtube-caption-fai_n_516866.html

your youtube example is the same as your closed-captioning tv example....  and as far as the live event message board at a stadium, i guess we'll never really know how it actually got there - be it computer transcription or human operator.... unless perhaps you can find something definitive in how FedEx Skins games message boards work getting their text..   for me, it's not something to argue about or even waste my time doing a google search...

your youtube example is the same as your closed-captioning tv example....  and as far as the live event message board at a stadium, i guess we'll never really know how it actually got there - be it computer transcription or human operator.... unless perhaps you can find something definitive in how FedEx Skins games message boards work getting their text..   for me, it's not something to argue about or even waste my time doing a google search...

Jesus man, it's okay to admit you were wrong about this. Closed captioning is closed captioning, whether it's done on live television or at a live event. It's not some "I Guess we'll never no know the REAL truth" mystery happening here. There's not someone in a booth trying to come up with nicknames that don't make any sense at our games at the expense of the deaf community.

saw on the redskins fb page the pictures of pierre garcons pizza restaraunt opening tonight (last night?) and the players were there. the comments of two fans really stuck out to me. one guy was like "they need to be practicing with that record js" (js=just sayin, for all you oldies on here). I'm like "pretty sure they have been practicing..you know this event was at night-time, right? you expect the team to practice at 8 pm? lol wowwwww". and one guy said "try focusing on football and only football during the season". im like "at 8 PM? dude...be realistic".

I consolidated the cream of the crop for the thread to see.

BzjGnUFIEAA9uUK.png

Best fans in football.

Archived