Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Eagles are clearly the best team in the NFC East, Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East, Chip Kelly is GOD. Eagles 2014 thread.

Westbrook36

On the heels of the wildly successful "Chip Kelly. Any Questions?" thread from last year, I bestow upon you a thread where all of you can revel in your adulation in all things Philadelphia Eagles while acting like scorned lovers. 

What do we know?

1.  the Eagles are clearly the best team in the NFC East.

2.  Nicky Footlong Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East.

3.  Chip Kelly is a man amongst boys.  "Score ****ing points."

What I look forward to in this thread:

1.  Denial of the obvious.

2.  Grudging admittance of everything I posed above.

3.  The transformation from thinking your team can compete with the Eagles this year to posting pictures of empty trophy cases. 

Good luck boys, you are going to need it.

On the heels of the wildly successful "Chip Kelly. Any Questions?" thread from last year, I bestow upon you a thread where all of you can revel in your adulation in all things Philadelphia Eagles while acting like scorned lovers. 

What do we know?

1.  the Eagles are clearly the best team in the NFC East.

2.  Nicky Footlong Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East.

3.  Chip Kelly is a man amongst boys.  "Score ****ing points."

What I look forward to in this thread:

1.  Denial of the obvious.

3.  The transformation from thinking your team can compete with the Eagles this year to posting pictures of empty trophy cases. 

Good luck boys, you are going to need it.

Beagle-

The Beagle is a breed of a medium-sized NFL franchise discovered in Philadelphia, PA.  around 1931.  This breed evolved from the now extinct Yellow Jackets and evolved to its newer modern name "Beagle" after many years of cross-breeding.  A member of the NFC East, its coloring or markings consists primarily of green and silver but sometimes may be speckled with white.

The Beagle is good at fetch and can run long distances with ease but pretty much can be made docile by a stern master.  Muzzlement sometimes has to be used to auto-correct any deficiencies with bad behavior and stubbornness.  However, the Beagle pretty much aim to please their masters.

HTTR!

I think you will grudgingly admit that you misused admittance (which means entry, not the meaning you intended.)  That or you realize this year is going to metaphorically force admittance into every waiting orifice of your original post.  A season long admittance.

I absolutely LOVE how all fecals fans everywhere are soo enamored with drip kelly. They literally think he's the second coming of Christ and the team is SOOO talented they can contend with the Broncos, Seahawks and Saints of the world. I wonder if it will be year 3 or 4 that fans will be buying his train tickets out of town.

This is the same fecal team that was 4-12 the year prior, with largely the same roster, off a weak schedule and with very few injuries throughout their "magical" 10-6 season. Now I read about 12-4 on the iggles forums and I have to laugh.

You guys are in for a rude awakening. Mccoy and Napoleon dynamite had out of their mind seasons last year, and that was barely good enough for 10-6.. they would have to play even better this year while avoiding key injuries to get better.. don't see it happening.
But keep dreaming guys, it's entertaining. Really.

Just one question: who's your deep threat?

Lemme guess....you don't need one, cause you guys are that good.  Right?

I'm not siding with the CK worship, nor do I think the Eagles are in the top 8 of the league.  Just saw title of thread and cringed when I thought the amount of mocking will go in here after every loss. 

But, in reference to your point, they don't really have a every-down deep threat beyond Maclin, or scheming to get Cooper open deep.  I do think they're going to use a ton of TE/RB pass plays.  It's the big question everyone has:  How much did DJ make the CK offense go?  Or was it vice versa?  Will be interesting to see.

I absolutely LOVE how all fecals fans everywhere are soo enamored with drip kelly. They literally think he's the second coming of Christ and the team is SOOO talented they can contend with the Broncos, Seahawks and Saints of the world. I wonder if it will be year 3 or 4 that fans will be buying his train tickets out of town.

This is the same fecal team that was 4-12 the year prior, with largely the same roster, off a weak schedule and with very few injuries throughout their "magical" 10-6 season. Now I read about 12-4 on the iggles forums and I have to laugh.

You guys are in for a rude awakening. Mccoy and Napoleon dynamite had out of their mind seasons last year, and that was barely good enough for 10-6.. they would have to play even better this year while avoiding key injuries to get better.. don't see it happening.

But keep dreaming guys, it's entertaining. Really.

I like Chip Kelly as I think he's refreshing in listening to him @ press conferences.  The Eagles, IMO, have portions of their team that are top 3 in the NFL (RB & OL), but other parts that are just average (CB, WR). 

12-4 is unrealistic, but the reason they finished 10-6 last year (and not better) was the defense.  Major question mark about whether or not that's improved.  I'd expect between 9-7 & 11-5 with some of the same problems as last year (defense, potential limitation by Foles abilities).

And, doesn't every one dream this time of the year?  :)

I like Chip Kelly as I think he's refreshing in listening to him @ press conferences.  The Eagles, IMO, have portions of their team that are top 3 in the NFL (RB & OL), but other parts that are just average (CB, WR). 

12-4 is unrealistic, but the reason they finished 10-6 last year (and not better) was the defense.  Major question mark about whether or not that's improved.  I'd expect between 9-7 & 11-5 with some of the same problems as last year (defense, potential limitation by Foles abilities).

And, doesn't every one dream this time of the year?  :)

I agree with everything you said, and it's nice to have a realistic viewpoint vs the good natured (I hope) troll thread by westbrook.

I think the offense is what bailed the defense out more often than not, and by keeping them off the field as much as they did is what made the record as good as it was. Statistically it's very unlikely for dynamite and shady to keep up that same pace.

a regression to the mean is likely, doesn't mean they will be 4-12, but 8-8 or 9-7 is likely

I will prove you wrong.  I think our team can definitely win the NFC East this year, AND I'm giving you the added bonus of the empty trophy case picture:

trophy_iggle.jpg

But seriously, you are one of the only Eagles fans I like because you don't do drive by postings when your team sucks, like most of the other opposing fans.  I'm glad you started this thread.  Good luck this year, except where it would hurt the Skins.

I'm not siding with the CK worship, nor do I think the Eagles are in the top 8 of the league.  Just saw title of thread and cringed when I thought the amount of mocking will go in here after every loss. 

But, in reference to your point, they don't really have a every-down deep threat beyond Maclin, or scheming to get Cooper open deep.  I do think they're going to use a ton of TE/RB pass plays.  It's the big question everyone has:  How much did DJ make the CK offense go?  Or was it vice versa?  Will be interesting to see.

And that is precisely my point.  Now I'm not saying that the Eagles won't still have a quality Offense.  But this season we all get to see how Chip Kelly's scheme will (or won't) perform without a weapon like Jackson.  It's bound to be interesting.

And that is precisely my point.  Now I'm not saying that the Eagles won't still have a quality Offense.  But this season we all get to see how Chip Kelly's scheme will (or won't) perform without a weapon like Jackson.  It's bound to be interesting.

What I can't wait for is when he decides to cut McCoy because he think he can win without him too.   ;)

It should be another stellar year for the Eagles. I don't know how you go about exceeding that dominating finish from last year against the vaunted Dallas Cowboys and Kyle Orton. Maybe we'll wind the clock back to the 2008 season and they'll win a playoff game. By the way, it's 2014. Sky's the limit, I say. 

I actually think the Eagles have a solid chance at being very good.  I don't know if the Giants can get their act together and I don't see Dallas competing much at all.  I believe the Redskins have the only chance to take the Eagles down and hopefully that happens.  Good luck this year Westy, well as long as you guys aren't playing us.

Two things I repeatedly point out to Eagles fans up here with homer glasses:

How quickly they forget about the relatively awful beginning of the season. The back to back games against Dal and NY were just atrocious. Foles couldn't even beat out Vick to start with. If this offense was so handmade for him, why did it take so long for good performances to start? Could it have been that they didn't play a top 10 defense all season long?

The real key to their end of season run was the OL. Not Chip, not Foles, not Desean. Nicky finished most games with a clean jersey, and Shady had ezpass lanes to run through. When that didn't happen against better Ds, you saw the team's performance drop tremendously.

In many ways they are similar to the Skins at the beginning of last season. Having finished the season very strong, can they continue or has their magic potion worn off?

An interesting write up from Grantland. This is from part 2 of their season prediction series. This one is titled The Falling Stars

Philadelphia Eagles

2013 Record: 10-6
Pythagorean Wins: 9.4 (overperformed by 0.6 wins, 10th-luckiest team in NFL)
Record in Games Decided by Seven Points or Fewer: 3-1 (0.750, third-luckiest)
2013 Strength of Schedule: 0.461 (second-easiest)
Estimated 2014 Strength of Schedule: 16th-toughest
Turnover Margin: plus-12 (fourth-best)
2014 Out-of-Division Schedule: AFC South, NFC West, vs. Panthers, at Packers

It’s fair to say our memories of the 2013 Philadelphia Eagles are probably more sanguine than they should be. It’s easy to remember the good times;that incredible game against Washington in Week 1, the Nick Foles breakout performance against Oakland, and the division-sealing win against Dallas in Week 17 all come to mind. It’s also worth remembering that times weren’t always so great. People were giving up on Kelly and calling him “vanilla” after his offense went consecutive weeks without scoring a touchdown. The Eagles gave up 48 points to Matt Cassel and his Vikings in December, and they needed a missed two-point conversion and a late interception to finish up that Week 17 division winner against Kyle freaking Orton and the Cowboys. In all, a lot of positives, but also some negatives.

Year 2 of the Chip Kelly experience should be just as interesting as the first one. The cat-and-mouse game between Kelly and defensive coordinators should escalate now that defenses have had a year to watch tape and prepare. Likewise, Kelly will have new wrinkles, and the players executing his scheme are less likely to make mental mistakes, which means we might even get a successful “swinging gate” two-point conversion this year. There are new weapons to be added to the mix (Darren Sproles, Jordan Matthews, and a healthy Jeremy Maclin) in the absence of departed wideout DeSean Jackson, as Kelly moves toward his dream of an attack in which every eligible receiver is 6-foot-4. (Don’t ask me how Sproles fits in there.) Philadelphia even finally upgraded its perennially awful safety situation by signing Malcolm Jenkins away from New Orleans.

As with the Chiefs, the questions remain about how the Eagles will be able to hold on to their improvements. Philadelphia’s turnover margin improved from minus-24 in 2012 to plus-12 in 2013, a 36-turnover swing that’s just narrowly behind what Kansas City achieved. That’s primarily holed up in Foles’s absurd 0.6 percent interception rate, with the Foleschise having thrown just two picks on 317 attempts in 2013. Foles’s interception rate should still be low — he’s a relatively safe quarterback and Kelly’s system avoids the sort of late-scanning-the-field interception that the likes of Michael Vick excelled at — but he’s going to throw more than one interception each month.

The Eagles were the league’s second-healthiest team behind Kansas City, and that really made a difference on their offensive line, which had been battered by injuries for years. Philly’s five starters were arguably the best group in football last year and went 80-for-80 in games started. That won’t happen in 2014, and it didn’t even take an injury, as right tackle Lane Johnson was popped for PEDs and will miss the first four games. Foles has missed starts in each of his first two abbreviated seasons because of injury, and LeSean McCoy started all 16 games for the first time in his five-year pro career. The low injury totals could be a product of Kelly’s interest in sport science and it could be total luck. More likely, it’s a combination of the two.

Philly’s schedule also gets tougher, as the second-easiest slate in football gives way to games against the Seahawks, 49ers, and Packers. The presence of the AFC South and the NFC East will help keep things from getting too tough, but the Eagles definitely benefited from that easy schedule last year. They were 1-3 against playoff teams during the regular season, and their one win came against a Packers team that had Seneca Wallace and Tolzien combine to throw 44 passes. That doesn’t mean the Eagles can’t beat good teams, since they comfortably handled the 10-6 Cardinals and blew out the 8-8 Bears, but an easy schedule never hurts.

Best-Case Scenario: Kelly stays about seven steps ahead of the rest of the league, Foles repeats his incredible numbers, and the Eagles go 13-3 before winning the Super Bowl.

Worst-Case Scenario: Foles and McCoy can’t stay healthy, Mark Sanchez is actually Mark Sanchez and not that guy from the preseason, and the defense struggles to stop opposing passers. The Eagles finish 6-10 and Mark Helfrich’s St. Louis Rams select Marcus Mariota one pick before Kelly can nab him in the 2015 draft.

Universal Soldier, err Westbrook, had better hope that the Skins don't come roaring back in '14 to reclaim the NFC East, or he might have to liberate that small vilage in Guatemala way ahead of schedule.

Hey, he's an asset.  An expendable asset, and he got used to get the job done. GOT IT!?

The DeSean Jackson fallacy where everyone misremembers his supposed dominance now that he is on their favorite team is amusing.  Hey, what are the following numbers:

Those are Jackson's TD totals for his career, by year.  He isn't jack for a returner anymore so his 2009 and 2010 season show he is an amazingly average receiver that KELLY MADE last year and who is going to quickly come back to his normal production.

You know, the guy who topped 60 yards receiving exactly 1 time over his last 5 games last year.  The guy that Kelly watched get manhandled during the Saints playoff game and simply couldn't get off press coverage and absolutely refused to block on running plays.

Average WR being paid like a superstar.  Attitude problem.  Career year that Kelly handed to him on a silver platter.  One trick pony whose biggest gift (speed) is declining by the year. 

So what was the question again?

Archived