Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wk 1 Operation Houston : Keys to Winning This Game

Red_dawg_one

1.The Redskin offense is going have to establish the run early and often 

2.It will be necessary to keep the Texan defense on the field for long stretches

This can be accomplished by using the read- option for small designed runs

and small hitch passes and no-huddle to wear down the pass rushers

3.The Redskin Defense must limit the Texan offense to minimal yardage and play stout

against 3rd down pass plays

4. Make good halftime adjustments offensively and defensively

1- successful screen passes and quick passes early and often. The redskins do not have blockers to stop Clowney and Watt, they need to be frustrated and slowed.

2- limit slow developing plays in the backfield. Clowney's strength isn't so much the speed rush to the outside as it is the cutting inside his blocker. If the team gets predictable on the play action or slow developing runs the rookie is going to make ESPNs top 10 that night.

3- RG3 need to make Watt and Clowney pay with his feet for getting upfield too quickly. If they have to contain they will slow themselves down giving RG3 ample time to find Reed and Garcon on crossing routes.

4- Morris needs to have a big day running right at the edge rushers. Punish them and avoid 3rd and long. Don't need 20 yard runs, just 4 yards and the satisfied look of lineman happy to be the hammer and not the nail.

5- ball control and lots of field goals. Yes yes I know Roger Goodel hates this idea and casual fans love touchdowns. I don't care. RG3 needs to get into a rhythm and a tired texans defense in the 4th because we've piled up first downs is the best case scenario. I think the texans can beat by 2 touchdowns and 4 field goals. Eat up clock, get some points, rinse repeat. If this game is a shoot out the Redskins lose.

6- Redskins defense needs to get off the field quickly. The texans can and will run the ball but their passing game can't be allowed to get comfortable. Get off the field and frustrate the texans offense. We don't need big plays or anything fancy. Just force them to punt before they get a second first down and call it a win.

7- do not turn the ball over on the wrong side of the 50 yard line. That means Morris and RG3 need to avoid the big stupid play.

8- I have no idea what I'm talking about but this **** sounds good right? Yeah it does. Go redskins! HTTR!

Offense - Pound the ball up the middle and away from the ends at the beginning of the game. Establish that ground game then run some screens. Quick slants and screens should be a good majority of our pass plays especially in the 1st half. I fear Watt and Clowney will be in the backfield all day so he will not have much time to drop back.

Defense - Their passing game is going to be weak with Fitzpatrick back there. I really feel like Mallet will be the starter by the middle of the season. We need to blitz early and often. I really think we can rattle Fitz up good and our D could look real good. Haslett should design a lot of fake blitz packages as well.

Week 1 is always a hard week to predict. Players are still getting their "game legs" and sometimes you see results in the first week that are a-typical of the rest of the season.

With that said, IMO, it all depends on how fast our offense starts clicking. I could see a strategy similar to 2012 where they had Robert run a lot of quick short passes to get himself into a rhythm and the offense moving before they started trying to throw in too much.

Seems like a matchup where one or two explosive plays could decide what will otherwise be a game of defense and turnovers. I'm inclined to think that the team with Garcon, D Jax, and a fast QB (like it or not) should be able to do that, but I already have visions of Andre Johnson getting behind our safeties.

13-10 Houston. Not the beginning of a nightmare season but this team is not destined to explode out of the gate

what I want to see is this. A solid Defense that takes it to the Texans QB. He has a quick release so if we can pressure him it means we are also doing a good job covering Texans WRs. Stopping the run also will be huge because that's is one of two only weapons they have on offense and it will force them to throw more.

Form our special teams I want to see Cobra K consistently kick the ball at least 5 yard deep in the end zone and good solid tackling by the teams.

And on offence I want to see Morris run the rock early and often, a few bubble screens in the beginning to give Bob confidence and slow down their rush and plenty of play action if our running is working, We have to be honest, no way we can drop Bob back and throw the rock with the two monsters they have on their DL against our right side of the OL.

Since this is our first game, win or lose, I want to see minimal mistakes in terms of penalties, turnovers and clock management.

Protecting Robert and giving him some semblance of a pocket, which we likely won't, is key for me. I'm not sold on this OL at all whatsoever. Don't like Tyler or Chester - not crazy about Lich at Center either.

It is what it is...

I'd like to see wholesale changes sooner than later.

You and me too man.

'I'm trying not to think of the prospect of Clowney and Watt on Chester and Polumbus. Or anyone else come to that on a line the can't pass protect against decent opposition for ****.

God speed Robert.

Hail.

Third down... On both sides of the ball. 

The defense needs to get off the field. The Texans don't have the QB or the weapons to convert Third-and-7+. Orakpo/Kerrigan/Hatcher/Cofield need to get pressure on obvious passing downs without bringing blitzers.

The offense needs to extend drives. They need to perform well on the first two downs to stay in Third-and-manageable. 

3 and outs: Limit ours and create/force theirs.

Our special teams have to be that.. and not in a Jerry Lewis way.

150+ from AlMo.... of that we need wbout 30-40 to come from rcving yards

Keep Robert clean!

Quick passing game has to be effective and on time.

No blown coverages to Andre Johnson.

At least 5 zone read plays that end with Robert skittering out of bounds or sliding.... Ozzie Smith style not Pete Rose

Accounting for Watt and Clowney EVERY PLAY!

We can't go down a couple of scores early. That was one of the biggest issues last year. Especially in the first few games. At this point in RG3's development we don't want to have to drop back and throw it 30-35 times. In this game in particular I think that will be a good way to get RG3 killed.

We need to be able to keep a good run pass balance and throw when we want to not have to.

We need to use Clowney's speed and aggressiveness against him. I see him biting HARD on zone read.

We have a big size advantage on the left. Williams is 337, Luavao is 315. Their end on that side is 285 and Clowney is 266. Power run it right down their throats. Running left looked dominant at times in the preseason, we should be able to do that against Houston.

RG3 needs to just get the ball out to the play makers. For the first time in years we have multiple weapons that can break a big play out of a short completion.

The last thing would be move the pocket. If we just have RG3 drop 5-7 steps straight back into the pocket he will be killed.

Archived