Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Make Cuts, Finalize 53-Man Roster

I see a lot of excitement about Seastrunk not making the final 53. I had him on my final 53 but I am not surprised nor upset he did not make it. Let's review a few facts:

1. He was a 6th rd draft choice so it's not like other teams had him high on their radar and we stole him. - I know so was AM. But the only reason AM started so soon was due to injuries to both Helu and Royster. Would he have made the 53? Probably but that as more because we didn't have anything else on the team. He was destined for the PS. I am so glad he did but let's be realistic, at the time there were many in here screaming that he was slow and came from a small college and just WTF were they thinking drafting Morris. 

2. He had one really nice pass play against 3rd and 4th stringers. DId he do any of that in the other preseason games? No, he was pretty much average. One run of 14 yes and another of 12. The rest little just a yard or 3 at most. 

3. He cannot pass block or run very good routes. You can see he sucks at blocking and the coaches say he still needs to learn to run routes. I will go with the guys that get paid to make these decisions. 

4. This is most important. He will be on the PS. He is not signing anywhere else unless he gets picked up off waivers. And if he does? Good for him. But that means that from the draft where all 31 other teams passed drafting him at least 5 times, they have now seen enough on some 35 plays in 3 preseason games against scrubs mostly to put them on the regular 53

@go (out of likes but u & d77 get one) you are right with your analysis. On the other hand Seastrunk does have the ability to be a difference maker that gets the fans & players excited. Those 80 yard TDs & 25 yard runs when nothing present really get the fans excited taking yelling to new highs and getting players to overachieve. Hopefully he will make the PS as those qualities are not something you don't want to play against.

For the record I had him either just making the team as a 3rddown goal line or short yardage back or going to the practice squad. I don't think anyone saw him really starting in 2012. There were a few that said so but mainly to take a swipe at the current backs not because they really thought AM would be that good.

I am glad he is our guy. One of the great moves by MS. Of course we all know that it was RBs coach Bobby Turner that is the one that finds these guys. He has been with MS from the beginning. Kudos fro MS to trust the guy, but it's not like MS was making these picks himself.

@go (out of likes but u & d77 get one) you are right with your analysis. On the other hand Seastrunk does have the ability to be a difference maker that gets the fans & players excited. Those 80 yard TDs & 25 yard runs when nothing present really get the fans excited taking yelling to new highs and getting players to overachieve. Hopefully he will make the PS as those qualities are not something you don't want to play against.

I agree with you re: the excitement factor. But I am pretty confident he gets on our PS. I think he wants to play with RGIII at some point. I can't see someone making him their every down back and he just does not have the skill set right now to be a 3rd down back. So no matter who gets him he will be a project. Projects don't get claimed off waivers, no matter how fast they are.

I hope Seastrunk does make the PS. Goskins makes great points on why Redd and not Seastrunk got the nod but there is no denying the kid has "it". The kid has speed and moves and an infectious attitude at least in interviews. The kid has the right attitude that has been missing on the team offensively since before RG3's arrival. Given time to develop, (I know with the Redskins, we do not do player development) the kid could be the next McCoy.

Here is what seems to be a better more up to date tracker for PS. It has all teams. Also lets you know if it's official or rumor.:

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-practice-squad-signings-tracker/

No Seastrunk anywhere. This means 1 of 2 things -

1. No one is interested - I would find that very hard to believe. He does have blazing speed and as Dave above says, he has that 'it' factor, or so it would appear. 

2. Other teams are bidding for him to be on their PS. Once through waivers a player can sign with anyone. While there are fairly standard PS salaries teams can elect to pay player more. If Lache has a few teams interested, they (including us) could be bidding for him. This could take until sometime tomorrow. He will not want to miss any time. And the teams will not spend crazy. 

Another thing to keep in mind. Even he makes it to someone else's PS. If we want him and need him on the 53, we can sign him from their PS as long as we put him on the 53 man roster. 

Sorry for all the gory detail, especially if you are familiar, and I guess most of you are. But I find this stuff fascinating. 

been watching replays of seastrunk's 80-yard touchdown on nfl.com. just wondering, did the skins ever think about making seastrunk their punt and/or kickoff return man? because i saw nothing from porter or anyone else this preseason that would get me excited about our return team. special team's coverage was ok, but we did very little in returns. can a 3-13 team afford to just let this guy get away from them? when you have that kind of speed, you MUST find a way to utilize it. remember how quickly we gave up on desmond howard. green bay said, thank you kindly, and used him to win a couple of superbowls. show some imagination, gruden, and get this guy back on the team.

For those wanting Seastrunk, it's not going to happen per Mike Jones Washington Post - Here is link to his twitter feed. He states point blank the Redskins have told Seastrunks camp they will not look to put him on the PS. 

https://twitter.com/MikeJonesWaPo

So, 31 teams passed him at least 5 times on draft day. All 31 teams again passed on him when he was available for waivers, and so far no one has signed him to a PS. 

He was a 6th rd draft choice that can't block or run routes. He had a few flashy plays but otherwise was less than average. The NFL community that gets paid to evaluate talent, has said no thanks. But they are all wrong, we should go get him right now??  SOrry, not buying it at all. 

They made the right football decision. 

I think Gruden and staff know how to evaluate talent. They're holding out on Seastrunk, no hurry, they have 2nd priority on filling practice squad. They just picked up last years starting Safety released from Denver...give it time, by now I totally trust the coaches, scouts, and GM. Hell, they picked up a potential starting Safety off the waiver wire!!!! I liked Seastrunk's burst of speed and thought he would make the team but if it comes down to filling needs then we don't need another rb as much as other positions. Let Seastrunk go if it means we're building a better team. Look at the big picture folks.

The dumbest move I've ever seen this football team do with releasing and not even putting Seastrunk on the PS. they chose Thompson over him amazing. To add to that frustration, team puts bums like Minnnifield, Williams on ps squad while dashing again injury prone S Thomas on that list. Team should of placed Doss instead of Williams and should not had released a possible good ST contributor in Akeem Davis. Davis at this point to me is better that the drafted Rambo. Thomas is done and overrated. Team will regret the Seastrunk move, he will come back a plant it on the Skins one day. That kid has superstar potential written all over him.

Archived