Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I have to look at more film of Collins, but if he's as special as people claim he is (I have a few doubts) then its not about him as a rookie, but his potential and where he can take our defense and our team. I'd really compare it to what we have with John Wall right now when coming in he was just a fast guy with good vision, but who had some obvious lapses in his game that made him struggle at times. Any player we get, I wouldn't be as focused on what they'll play like as a rookie, but where's their ceiling and how likely are they to reach that ceiling?

I haven't watched Landon Collins, but I worry about hyped safeties from SEC schools with very good defenses.  Feels like fools gold.

It's unclear how good Eric Reid and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix are.  But Matt Elam is already disappointing, he hasn't been what the Ravens wanted.  Mark Barron is in his 3rd year, and he's basically been a bust, especially for the 7th overall pick.  Laron Landry had one amazing year with us, but has disappointed before and after.  He still misses tackles and gets targeted in coverage.

Even if Reid and Ha Ha turn into good safeties, that's a high miss rate.

Landon Collins could be worth it (haven't seen him), but simply the fact that he's a safety that goes to Alabama...is a bit of a red flag.

Two targets I have my eye one real closely:

PJ Williams CB FSU - Need more CB depth especially since D-Hall will be recovery from the achilles injury. His potential is through the roof.

Vic Beasley LB/DE Clemson - An Orakpo replacement w/ supreme quickness off the ball and speed off the edge. Potential is also through the roof.

Lane Johnson was selected #4 overall. He was selected with the notion to play RT from day 1.

The position, ultimately, is irrelevant...

Long, but good posts by Monk....

Get it. 

Certainly get it bro, and appreciate it. I think we are on the same page, I just stated it a little differently. I agree we should go BPA and if an O-lineman is in there and he's a blue chip, I have no problem going with it.

Pulling for Collins with our 1 though, or trading it back to acquire multiple 1s if we end up as high as we did last year.

Two targets I have my eye one real closely:

PJ Williams CB FSU - Need more CB depth especially since D-Hall will be recovery from the achilles injury. His potential is through the roof.

Vic Beasley LB/DE Clemson - An Orakpo replacement w/ supreme quickness off the ball and speed off the edge. Potential is also through the roof.

Like them both, however, I wouldn't select either in the early first with as high our pick will most likely be. 

I haven't watched Landon Collins, but I worry about hyped safeties from SEC schools with very good defenses.  Feels like fools gold.

It's unclear how good Eric Reid and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix are.  But Matt Elam is already disappointing, he hasn't been what the Ravens wanted.  Mark Barron is in his 3rd year, and he's basically been a bust, especially for the 7th overall pick.  Laron Landry had one amazing year with us, but has disappointed before and after.  He still misses tackles and gets targeted in coverage.

Landon Collins could be worth it (haven't seen him), but simply the fact that he's a safety that goes to Alabama...is a bit of a red flag.

That feels kind of like superstition. Is there a reason SEC Safeties would be bad? They're playing against pro-style offenses and the best competition in the NCAA, so I can't think of why they would look better than they are.

Especially if you're using 3 players to make that case, none of whom are really busts, just maybe not quite living up to their draft statuses.

Btw, I think Reid is already considered top-notch by most.

Also, wanted to say that I need to watch a lot more of Leonard Williams. If we end up picking top three-ish, we need to be thinking about him and whether he's worth it.

My worry with him is that he's getting compared to Ndamukong Suh without really producing like him. His production is good, but not Suh good. Suh came out as a senior had 36.5 TFLs his last two years and 156 tackles total. Crazy stuff.

But if Williams ends up being a legit Suh-like talent, no other player in the class could make a bigger impact for our team.

I think it's just hard for a safety to justify being such a high pick. Regardless of their college conference. They're important but they play in the middle of the field. They don't play on an island and the nature of their position is pretty reactive, so their performance becomes more dependent on the play of their teammates IMO. I think you end up being good with somebody who is just steady, which is why so many lower draft picks end up being competent. And if you've spent the resources to get a special athletic talent at the position, then you have to find a way to feature him to make it worth it. And I'm not sure that's something our staff would be interested in doing.

But I also do think there is something to the notion of Alabama safeties (and many of their defenders in general) being overrated coming out. Alabama always has over achievers that play above their heads because that's what it takes to start for a program like that. They definitely benefit from the system Alabama has created where they're essentially an NFL player factory on defense. They win almost all their match ups. And they are always in good leverage situations and playing with leads. You look good when everything is going right and you're allowed to play to your full potential.

What's ideal is seeing a good talent manage to shine when things aren't going right and their teams aren't anything special. Those are the ones that can make things happen for themselves.

I would be disinclined to pick Landon Collins in the top ten right now. My opinion could change when I see more of him, but my gut tells me a top ten safety isn't worth it. I'd be more inclined to go corner in that range if the prospect is a true outside player.

I think Gregory and Fowler are intriguing as Orakpos replacement(Murphy has talent, but id like to see 3 pass rushers as some nickel packages would need all 3 on the field). Scherff could be a great RT if Moses doesnt look the part to coaches for the next 3 months...I think we have no need to spend a 1st or 2nd day pick on: QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, CB. I think we should go:

1: RT, OLB, DL

2: FS / LB

3: FS / LB

That feels kind of like superstition. Is there a reason SEC Safeties would be bad? They're playing against pro-style offenses and the best competition in the NCAA, so I can't think of why they would look better than they are.

Especially if you're using 3 players to make that case, none of whom are really busts, just maybe not quite living up to their draft statuses.

Btw, I think Reid is already considered top-notch by most.

Mark Barron is definitely a bust.  If there was a re-draft he would go several rounds later.  He's only been good as a downhill guy and teams target him in coverage.

But I'm just basing it on an impression.  SEC usually have the best defenses with the most talent.  They tend to hide weaknesses.  It's like Alabama running backs who are running behind dominant college o-lines.  Or last year you had a Guard, David Yankey thought as a 1st rounder for almost all of the pre-draft process, simply because he played on a good Stanford o-line and Stanford o-lineman usually turn out quality players...therefore he must be worth it right?  Then the draft happened and Yankey went from 1st-2nd rounder to the 5th round.

It's difficult to tell how good or bad players really are, when everyone around them is fantastic.  They don't have as many responsibilities as a normal college prospect.  Such as last year, I thought Ha Ha Clinton Dix (juries still out on him) was overhyped, because he wasn't asked to do as much as other safeties.  He had a great college coverage linebacker ahead of him in CJ Mosley, so that makes Ha Ha's responsibilities a lot easier.

I think it's just hard for a safety to justify being such a high pick. Regardless of their college conference. They're important but they play in the middle of the field. They don't play on an island and the nature of their position is pretty reactive, so their performance becomes more dependent on the play of their teammates IMO. I think you end up being good with somebody who is just steady, which is why so many lower draft picks end up being competent. And if you've spent the resources to get a special athletic talent at the position, then you have to find a way to feature him to make it worth it. And I'm not sure that's something our staff would be interested in doing.

Agreed.

Right now, I think the only reason a safety should be a 1st rounder, is if they are extremely versatile.  Polomalu and Reed lined up all over the place.  Showed one thing and did another.  Earl Thomas was everywhere last night against us.  He was in deep middle, the box, lined up as a nickel corner, once pre-snap he shadowed DeSean Jackson across the field when he was doing an end around and then broke up the pass in the back field.

The Giants won the 2011 Super Bowl, behind a very good pass rush, and a 3 safety look where they moved Antrell Rolle everywhere in the field.  The Packers won the 2010 Super Bowl and went 15-1 in 2011, in part because they had two very versatile players in Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson.  Woodson was a hybrid CB/LB/S those years, he lined up everywhere.

I'm more in favor of drafting a physical corner and attempting the conversion to safety, than drafting say, a generic SS.

Also, wanted to say that I need to watch a lot more of Leonard Williams. If we end up picking top three-ish, we need to be thinking about him and whether he's worth it.

My worry with him is that he's getting compared to Ndamukong Suh without really producing like him. His production is good, but not Suh good. Suh came out as a senior had 36.5 TFLs his last two years and 156 tackles total. Crazy stuff.

But if Williams ends up being a legit Suh-like talent, no other player in the class could make a bigger impact for our team.

I'm with you in that boat. He's been a solid player since being a freshman, but he's never been the wrecking force that suh or donald were. I don't think I'd consider him a top 5 pick at this point.

Two d linemen who interest me are Danny Shelton and Shawn Oakman. Oakman looks a bit gangly but he's quick for 280 pounds, and at 6'9 I could see him reach 300-310 eventually. Shelton has had a crazy start for someone who is 330+, but he'll lose leverage more often than I like for someone built like a prototypical nt.

Paul Conner retweeted

If your looking for an edge rusher this is the draft to get one. By far the best position group in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Georgia RB Todd Gurley Likely Out Rest Of The Year, But Suspension Unlikely To Impact Draft Stock http://bit.ly/111nuK7 

Paul Conner retweeted

If your looking for an edge rusher this is the draft to get one. By far the best position group in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Wasn't that what was said about the 2014 draft as well?  I feel like every draft is perceived as "deep" with edge rushers.

Wasn't that what was said about the 2014 draft as well?  I feel like every draft is perceived as "deep" with edge rushers.

And I'm actually down on this draft on the defensive side of the ball as a whole.  I'd easily take Clowney, Mack and Barr over any passrusher in this class so far.  The 2017 class could be special though, way too early to really project that though.

Leonard Williams, Ekpre-Olomu, Cooper is a stretch luxury/need, Grasu, Jalen Stong, or Shaq Thompson are on my watch list. Williams is my big want though. 5 technique DT/DE who would instantly blend into our DL & scheme. Unfortunately. ..there aren't many good S options this year, short of finding hidden gems.

It all depends on where we pick still, & what else happens the rest of the season.

Archived