Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden: Starters Will Not Play Vs. Buccaneers

Something about Gruden's confidence in his 1st teamers is real. He's smart, knowing the gamble of giving 1st team offense some snaps in the last preseason game against losing a starter to an injury. Plain and simple, he wants to go to Houston healthy. Maybe opening the playbook is the best thing since he made Griffin work almost all snaps from the pocket which equates to his struggle. Griffin will shine more when they mix in roll outs. I'm hoping.

He said the practices have been much better. That probably more important than the preseason games in reality. Those games mostly help you figure out the new talent and how (if) they fit in.

We'll see. It'll be what it'll be at this point. Tune in at Houston and see how it looks. I doubt that it be a thing of true beauty and precision but maybe not too bad. The defense will keep them in it. ST shouldn't blow it up. They have a run game. They have targets.

They only ran 24 times the other night. That is a preseason illusion. They will run more than that under the lights.

Was watching 'Hard Knocks with Atlanta Falcons' last week. The Texans came to practice with the Falcons and had a chance to watch drills between rookie Jake Matthews and JJ Watts. Watts made Matthews look like he doesn't even belong on a NFL Team, just manhandled him, abused him, never once did Matthews win the drill. Matthews was 6th overall pick, 6'5'' and 308 lbs with a NFL pedigree.They had Watts on Polumbus's side during that drill. Maybe Polumbus will be relatively ''ok'' since he's better at guarding power rush than speed rush and that's Watts forte. Makes me a little nervous thinking about that tandem of rushers, Trent will handle Clowney or Watts, not worried about him, Polumbus is going to need some help, don't leave him alone with Watts!

I am concerned either about:

the push and pass blocking of the O-Line in the pre-season,

or RG3 holding on to the ball too long,

or both.

I am not sure where to place my worry emphasis in this area.

I worry about the first team O drives in the pre-season, very little in the way of consistent long clock eating drives.

I am hoping the Redskins make me drop the worry in the Texan game as I prefer the 2012 season versus the 2013 results.

Everyone remember that Gruden said back in the spring that Griffin work strictly and solely from the pocket in otas and training camp? He did and he was trying to get a head start in Griffin's comfort level. Now, it would have accomplished nothing if he had him playing 2012 style and we would have been throwing a royal **** fit about it too. So he stuck to his word which I admire and when he says that Griffin has made a lot of progree then I'm going to have to trust that he has. During the game against the Ravens Jon Gruden showed film of Griffin last year and this year and seeing that makes me say YES, he has improved in footwork and the position he holds the ball in the dropback. Now I'm hoping the whole offensive package comes together.

Archived