Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else excited?

ToHailWithIt

Fellow fanatics,

Let me preface this with a bit of my fan history. I'm 30 and I became a skins fan at conception. I love this team. I remember watching the 1991 Super Bowl on with my dad, uncles and grandfather on what was then a state of the art 36" Magnavox. I played little league football in Northern Virginia where I once played against Art Monk's kid in Reston. He was so nice. He talked to me and my dad like we were real people (can't say the same about Darrel Green but that's another story). I thought Heith Shuler might pan out. I thought Patrick Ramsey had a rocket. I felt bad for the star players on our great defenses of the 2000s for not having NFL teammates on the other side of the ball. I never got over the Champ Bailey trade. Yeah that Clint Portis kid was ok, but he was no Terry Allen (or so I thought at the time). I used to love having an excuse to say "Marvcus" Patton, what a great name. My kid brother played safety and wore 21. We still watch Sean's highlights on youtube every so often to remind ourselves that he was going to be the best ever (football player period).

I've been stalking Extremeskins as long as I can remember. In fact I had an account before the boards were merged with the Skins team site. Back in the day the only consolation I could get after a terrible loss was laughing at the hysterical threads of ES posters. I could honest to goodness be up for hours laughing before the dreaded beating we were destined to take on national talk radio the next day or even worse we may not even be mentioned. I had a deep seeded hatred of Jason Campbell. I just hated his body language. You would think it was racial except for the fact that I'm black.

2012 rolls around and draft RG3 and I'm saying "he's going to be the GOAT" publicly but my battered fan's heart was really thinking "He'll probably be the next Tony Banks, Vince Young if we're lucky". First play against the Saints. Touchdown. Holy *#^$. Is this real? This doesn't happen here anymore. Magic doesn't happen here anymore. But it did...until we played Baltimore. Being a Redskins Fan has always been a point of personal pride for me. When I went to games I felt like no-one was racist, no-one cared about your political beliefs or anything else except whether or not you rooted for the good guys. I loved and still love being part of that family.

What happened since that Baltimore doesn't need to be rehashed but I must say that I'm a little disappointed in us. I understand the national media crushing rob but I am shocked at the skins fan response. He's so much better than any quarterback we've had in the past two decades. The fact that after a historic season (100+ QB rating) and a mediocre-to-poor season following an injury (80+ QB rating) we have all decided he has no leash and had better return to pro-bowl form now or we're done with him. We've given so much more leeway to players with so much less talent. I don't get it.

But on to the point. You guys aren't excited about our team? Last year I thought our defense was as bad as there was. The sight of Josh Wilson made me physically ill. I like Reed Doughty (A LOT) but if he's starting for you...well you get the point. First the first time in a while this past Monday I saw the Redskins defensive lineup and thought...these guys can be really disruptive. The offensive lineup is pretty much an all-star team. So much talent. RG3 doesn't have to be great for this team to be really REALLY good. He just has to be a little bit better than Jason Campbell. That's it. That is why I'm excited. He doesn't have to be an elite quarterback for this TEAM to be very, very good. Give him time to develop. Not just this season but beyond. I listened to Chad Dukes yesterday and he said "there were some positives in the game but they are ALL overshadowed by RG3's inability to be smart and protect himself..." I disagree. I think Kirk Cousins could take this team to the playoffs easily. Our worst case scenario still leaves us with a better record than last year! I'm PUMPED!  :D

It's ok @skinsfan_1215 we'll get there :) I've got a good feeling about this season! I haven't been able to stomach going to a game in person for years because the last game I went to was the last game Sean Taylor ever played (Eagles Game). But I think I'm going to buck that trend this year and head out to a few.

Good post man. I'm excited, and hopeful. I just hope ths redskins keep us excited past November. It was good hearing some of those names. Terry allen, marvcus patton, the champ...

Yeah it's good to be a lifelong fan. We know things like Ken Harvey is a black belt and Pettibone's used to have the BEST Prime Rib. Dan Wilkerson and Dana Stubblefied were supposed to be the greatest DT tandem ever and Sean Gilbert MAY have had a weight problem. When Tre Johnson came back and was effective at guard I was like "Why did he ever play tackle"...fanatic stuff man lol...

Well put OP, and I dig the screen name :)

I'm tempering expectations, but I gotta admit, I see more talent on this team than I've seen in many, many years. Certain things need to work out - Griffin/Gruden getting (more) comfortable, staying healthy at certain positions, D/ST/Oline improving, etc. - but the potential is absolutely there.

So yeah, I'm extremely excited for this season.

1st off..  Welcome to the board, ToHailWithIt....  great post....  as for being excited, it would be nice to be but after the last 20 yrs, it's kinda hard to not be a bit a little hesitant when it comes to how the team will be...  we've done some good things this offseason, so there will always be hope, but then again, there was a lot of it last year too....   after 2012, i thought 2013 would be much better....  We basically had no injuries in 2012 except for Rak and Carriker..  both came back and look what happened....   and who would have thought we'd have more wins in preseason than the regular season...  haha...  now that i've brought you and probably everyone else down to earth, this season will be much better than last...  our new coach has brought a new energy to this team... that alone will get us at least one more win in the regular season than preseason.....  haha....  i jest....  levity is one of my many attributes....  as i do, just hope for the best and plan for the worst.....  everything else will take care of itself and we can laugh (good or bad) the whole season through....  :)

@ToHailWithIt - Are you feeling alright? You just started a positive thread haha. I'm just as pumped as you man. I understand the criticism and analyzing the faults in our team that everyone does on here as I do it as well. I know we haven't been that good since the early 90's and it's hard to stay encouraged about the Redskins. Maybe we are too big of optimists and homerism. Either way I love feeling the positive vibes.

Sept. 7th can't get here soon enough

I'm always excited for opening day and watching the Redskins.....this year is no different. I think we'll be much improved on defense, special teams and in other areas such as team continuity. As always, the season will come down to the play of the o-line and Robert. When i watch other offenses like Green Bay, New England and Denver...and even Philly, it makes me wonder when the Skins will get to that level of execution? Hopefully sooner than later because I think Houston is gonna be a tough opener for us.

Let Robert run.....

Very excited... (Looks over back and see ghosts of excited seasons past)

But yea, there is legit reason for sure. Great thread. Need Oline to hold up their end of bargain and play 'above their ability' to really make this work. Also, middle of D has to do their job.

Goal 1, win division... Which is by no means a longshot

I've been a fan for over 40 years, but last year's season took it out of me. I decided I need to scale back my enthusiasm for this team because every year for the past 10 years (more like the past 20 years, actually) by the end of September, I'm saying, "Just wait until next year." That includes the 3 most recent playoff years of 2005, 2007, and 2012, where we needed to run the table of 5+ games at the end of the season in order to make it to the post-season.

This year, we've got the same defensive coordinator as last year, a suspect offensive line, and we still have problems on special teams. I plan to watch every game, read and post comments here on Extremeskins, hope RG3 doesn't get injured, and dream of a drama-less season, with little to no injuries or substance abuse/PED suspensions. I feel they can go to the playoffs, but I temper those feelings knowing that every other team has done what they can, too, to improve.

So, you can count me as "still rooting for the team" (I would never change allegiance or loyalty to another team), but definitely "staying medium" this year with a "you're going to have to show me" approach - and I hope they do.

As for September 7, I can, indeed, wait for it this year.

I've been a fan for over 40 years, but last year's season took it out of me. I decided I need to scale back my enthusiasm for this team because every year for the past 10 years (more like the past 20 years, actually) by the end of September, I'm saying, "Just wait until next year." That includes the 3 most recent playoff years of 2005, 2007, and 2012, where we needed to run the table of 5+ games at the end of the season in order to make it to the post-season.

This year, we've got the same defensive coordinator as last year, a suspect offensive line, and we still have problems on special teams. I plan to watch every game, read and post comments here on Extremeskins, hope RG3 doesn't get injured, and dream of a drama-less season, with little to no injuries or substance abuse/PED suspensions. I feel they can go to the playoffs, but I temper those feelings knowing that every other team has done what they can, too, to improve.

So, you can count me as "still rooting for the team" (I would never change allegiance or loyalty to another team), but definitely "staying medium" this year with a "you're going to have to show me" approach - and I hope they do.

As for September 7, I can, indeed, wait for it this year.

Nah we're going to be awesome lol! We will rejoice together! 

I personally got swept up by RG3 his rookie season as with many of you. I even bought in all off season at his upbeat and inspiring approach. I started to feel a little awkward by his all in for week one video of his rehab and than went downhill all season by the cancer that developed between him and coach shanny. At that point the cliches rob would express seemed a little shallow and felt more shallow as the season progressed. By the end of the season I was disgusted by all parties involved.

I think this season will be a learning curve for him with some highs and lows. I'm just hoping that he becomes more QB savvy as the season professes. The o line?? We shall see but I feel some mistake we will see will be because he holds on to the ball to long and some wil be because of blown assignments. What I want to see if it's his fault or not take the blame. Sort it out in the locker room. My confidence level is definitely at an all time high due in part to just so many let downs. But make no mistake 3-13 or 13-3. I will have all my skins stuff on everyday day regardless. It's what skins fans do!

Hail!

Well that optimism was short lived. Here's hoping Griffin comes out in HOU like he did in NO a couple years ago.

Oh brother I'm the eternal optimist! I'm still excited about the team. I'm also realistic about the egos on offense. If rob can't get the ball to these playmakers they will turn on him. We already saw it a bit last year when Santana was lead to believe that he put the second Eagles loss on the receiving core. In interviews his says a little bit too much we and not quite enough I when referring to his poor plays. Doesn't bother me at all but I'm not a millionaire star wide receiver used to "gettin his". I agree 100% he needs to have the whole season pressure  free, but I just can't see it happening with all the local/national noise. It would really help if Coach would just come out and say "Robert will start every game this year if he's healthy." I know it's unrealistic to expect but it's what he needs to relax and begin to just start playing. All of that said I will ride 100% with whatever decision coach makes.

I prefer to keep a positive outlook myself as well.  Watching this board blow up after last nights game is a downer for sure.  My thinking is that it is still preseason, things are getting worked out, and the offensive game plan is very simple and nothing like what we will see in the regular season.  RG3 may not be the 2nd coming but I think you have a great point.  HTTR, we are paloff bound!

Archived