Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Focus On Ravens’ Stout Run Game

Granted this will be a more important test for the Redskins than the Ravens but the Ravens have to be also looking at this as bigger test for their running game on both sides than what they have seen so far. 

They've had SF & Dallas. Dallas D is just broken. SF is dinged here & there - will be better but not really 100%. Not to take anything away from the Ravens running game but averaging 5 yards a carry against these two teams isn't too surprising. Baltimore's offense will get a better test this week.

Dallas can run the ball pretty well. And they did get 117yds/4.5 yd ave on 26 rushes against the Birds. Dallas does not run as well as Washington.

Dallas went for 92 ground yards with a 4 yard average against the Chargers. SD had better run D against the turds than the Birds.

Ravens held SF to 71 yards rushing, not bad. On 17 runs - that's a 4.2 yard average. SF does not run as well as Washington.

SF got 69 vs Denver. On 24 rushes - that's a 2.9 yard per run average. Broncos had a better run D against the 9ers than the Ravens.

So the Ravens rushing D has seen 42 running plays and is giving up almost 4.5 yards a carry. Skins may run almost as much as the Ravens have seen all preseason so far. They will be tested this week also.

Skins rushing D?

OK, Pats got 63 on 24 for a 2.6 average.

Browns got 100 on 27 for a 3.7 average.

No, I don't know where the 63 yard average per game number comes from that the article mentions. I'm just going off of the Net Rushing Yards in the box scores. These numbers come to like 81 yds @ game or so and match the stats at NFL.com. Shows them tied at #3 so still a good place to be.

Only two teams have fewer rushing attempts against them than the Redskins - Ravens & Cards. Relative to the attempts they are like 8th in lowest ave yards per carry allowed. Ravens - 25th.

Skins O -

Versus Pats got 177 on 44 for a 4.0 average

Got 117 on 31 for 3.8 average against the Browns

Ravens still must be respected. Their defense is vulnerable to misdirection and counter plays because of their aggressive style; they can be caught in over pursuit. Usually they stuff you when you run at them. 

And let's see how good the Redskins run defense really is. If it is in the 110 yard area or less that is going to be a success.

Wow!!! Special Teams and Defense are looking great tonight. Offense hasn't got it together yet though, but you can see the possibilities.

Griffin looks to be confused and tentative, like he's playing scared. Taking the life out of the defense, keeping them on the field too much.

just go home offense looking alittle shaky but of what i saw of the highlights the defense looking good.

Defense stuffed 2 plays of 4th and 1 yd. Cousins looks so polished with 2nd-3rd stringers. Griffin's got problems, don't think right now he could run the 2nd stringers as good as Cousins. No qb controversy at all..no way!

Run D was awesome. 82 yds allowed on 28 carries for a 2.9 yd average.

I'm thinking that the, 'Ravens league best 194' stat just ran into a wall of reality.

Lots of pressure on the QBs all night long and collected 3 sacks along the way. Including one by Hatcher.

Kept the Ravens to 3 of 13 in 3rd down conversions.

STs was pretty good overall. Way looked better at Punter - it's only one game but he did.

Campanaro had a good KR against them but Redskins pretty well contained it outside of that.

Ross & Royster both with good KRs.

The offense was offensive. A lot of very plain vanilla play calling and not much in the execution department. RGIII - tentative and some bad passes, bad decisions. He kind of looks lost in the play a lot of time. Cousins had his share of bad throws but unloaded a lot quicker.

Robert hasn't earned a day off - he should play some next week. 5 of 8; 20 yards; 0 TD & 1 Int. Those numbers do not warrant a day off. Do you really want to go into the season with those as your last stats? At least a little ego booster - it won't be against any #1's - they'll have the day off most likely.

Skins did not run a whole lot (28 rushes) but both Morris and Helu did average over 4 yards a pop on 13 runs between them. 

Didn't hear about any injuries - always a good thing. 

Hail Johns - I agree mostly but am more down on our O than you. 

First, I need to point out that while you right about the 4yds/carry on 13 runs for 59 yds, please notice also that Morris had a run of 19 yds and Helu one for 23 yds. That means without those 2 runs they were 11 for 17 yes!  Not exactly giddy stats.

I like our D and STs to be better than last year, but not let's too excited. NE played nobody, Clev pretty much sucked. The Ravens were a better test but our Off was atrocious. No running lanes to speak of. The WRs disappeared accept for Reed. The O line was as bas as I have seen them. The right side collapsed on a regular basis. And what was that garbage about putting Chester at center????  Gruden as much said Chester is making the team and will be the backup C?  You mean no one we brought into camp could beat his sorry ass out???  Not impressed!  

Maybe this was just a bad day against a great D. But if we are being honest RGIII looked lost out there. He pulled and ran at a moments notice. He threw more bad passes in one game than he threw all of 2012!!! Throwing off his back foot, just simply tossing the ball a few times like it's the 1st time he has ever played football!!! When I hear all these people saying he is back to 2012 form, I am sorry i just do not see it. 

OK, rant over for now, but I was totally disappointed! I did not expect us to win, but I wanted to see us be competitive. While D and STs were decent, the Off was horrendous! IMO it was a Total fail!  

One thing that bothered me about Griffin - when he would break out of the pocket for a run he never tried to throw the ball and I saw where DY was open as his defender came to meet Griffin.2012 that was one of his strong points, leave containment and find that open receiver. When a qb doesn't find his targets it makes them give up on find a second route for the bail out. I think our poor running stats were a result of the Ravens not being afraid of our passing game...they work hand and hand.

Defense was real good, constantly in the backfield disrupting, wow, now they have a chance to be very special. As Gruden said post game that he was glad to see them come out strong because the team is going to rely on them to be stingy until the offense starts clicking. Merriweather was fortunate not to have 2 helmet to helmet penalties, the 1st he kept his eyes uo and connected with his face mask instead on the helmet crown.Safeties and Corners were all laying wood, entire defense's tackling was superb except the time when Steve Smith didn't go down along the sideline and rambled for more yardage making a big gain. The defense is so improved I would give them a B+. Defense gift wrapped good field position twice but due to Griffins poor play it was nearly negated.

Finally we have a couple of ST returners who are running north-south.

Archived