Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Morgan Moses: 'Getting These Reps Means A Lot'

I know his natural position is left tackle but we drafted him for the right side. I assume they are playing him on the left side to learn from Trent instead of Polumbus and also to get him more nfl ready by playing him in a more comfortable side to acclimate to the speed of the nfl. Tom Compton looked bad against the Browns but filled in on the left side for Trent last year. Scratching my head on this one. Just put him on the right and back up Polumbus.

Yep, he was drafted for the right and that's where they want him to take over. Certainly no challenge for that guy at LT. That being said;

If a fill-in was needed at the left I'd rather see Moses as the LT vs anyone you can think of on their roster (outside of Trent obviously). Leave Tyler on the right. Please. 

Tyler got pushed around a lot vs the Browns. Did well enough but that was on the right. Yeah and for all the Chester haters out there - Chester was the guy who picked him up when guys got by Tyler. Not saying someone else could do the same but he did. 

And just maybe they were trying to give Compton a chance to redeem himself. If so, that failed. Compton was flat out awful. He was the dude giving up sacks and pressure on the right side.

Yep, he was drafted for the right and that's where they want him to take over. Certainly no challenge for that guy at LT. That being said;

If a fill-in was needed at the left I'd rather see Moses as the LT vs anyone you can think of on their roster (outside of Trent obviously). Leave Tyler on the right. Please. 

Tyler got pushed around a lot vs the Browns. Did well enough but that was on the right. Yeah and for all the Chester haters out there - Chester was the guy who picked him up when guys got by Tyler. Not saying someone else could do the same but he did. 

And just maybe they were trying to give Compton a chance to redeem himself. If so, that failed. Compton was flat out awful. He was the dude giving up sacks and pressure on the right side.

Hail Johns- Saw last night Gruden said that Moses would move back to right side for next 2 games, said he has shown that he's staying low in his stance and moving his feet better. I thought there was so much promise in Tom Compton last year? The game I saw Chester was easily beat because of good fundamentals from dlineman, pushing his arms down and running around him. Still think that LeRebius may take some of Chester's downs away from him. No player gets beat on every play and I for one never suggested that, he obviously has his moments and the mistakes are the ones we remember after the game. Glad you got the chance to see the game and give your take on it.

Hail MansChild!

Nice post, as usual.

I agree - LiRib will be cycled in more often, sooner or later they have to replace Chester. Both Moses & Long looked pretty good together on the left so a good sign of things to come down the road. And teams like the Pats do this a lot in preseason - flipping their guys from one side to the other just to see what they have; just in case they are needed. 

The #1's on the right side really didn't look that bad in pass protection. And part of it was the play calling or design. Seems like the entire line drops pretty far back on pass plays versus engaging like they do on running plays. Didn't see much blocking by RBs on the right and when they put a TE on the right he went right out as a receiver without touching anyone.

Most of the RB blocking was to the center or between center and RG so Tyler and Chester could move towards those unprotected edges more. It didn't look too clean - a lot of two or even three guys blocking the same guy and others went unmolested. 

No matter how they line it up; that right side won't be anywhere near as strong as the left. They're going to need some help.

Johns- I wonder if the tight end taking off and not blocking is more about getting Griffin that early release of the ball. A te should at least chip a dlineman to provide an extra second or 2 for the qb....in Paulsens case this is probably more true than in Reeds case. We get our 1st rd pick back next year and by golly I hope there is a load of franchise right tackles out there.

I was wondering the same thing. If your going to run that kind of play, and moving to the right to pass, got about 2 or 3 sec's to dump it. These were the plays I was referring to, like you said. Paulsen lined up on the right. That ball just has to get gone.

On the play that Robert made his good(?) slide on, Reed was right in front of him & easily in the clear. Maybe 7 yards or so in front of him. Reed was definitely expecting a pass and didn't turn to face upfield untill RGIII crossed the LOS.

There are times that he's certainly holding on to the ball too long, especially for trying to run a pass play to the right side.

Sometimes appears that the game hasn't really slowed down for Griffin. The play where he ran and got clobbered by 3 Browns, the pocket really hadn't broke down like he reacted, Helu was ready for a pass on the right side, 2 receivers on the left side, each had defenders behind them, granted that I'm not seeing it from the same angle as Griffin but he's still struggling with seeing the open man. Post game when he was asked about that running play he said the Reed didn't hold his defender out of bounds long enough, when the defender released Reed he was the 1st one to Griffin and laid some wood on him. He had plenty of time to get down, those 2-3 extra yds he got still didn't give us a 1st down, get you ass on the ground. Heard Chris Cooley defend Griffin saying he's a football player and he can take the hits...it's football. I can't agree with him, too many times Griffin does get hurt or comes up limping...he's not as rugged as Luck. That half ass slide he attempted and came up limping. He said it wasn't from the slide but the play before when a defender hit him in the thigh, maybe he did but I went back to review and couldn't see a defender hitting him. Maybe he was taking so many questions about his sliding he made up a little fib to silence the criticism.

Hail ManChild!

Can't disagree with what you said. As far as what Robert said about the running play - I'm gonna have to call BS (provided we are talking about the same one). The one I am referring to was his last slide; not the run out of bounds. (1:35 left in the first; 3rd & 17)

Reed was open from the hash mark on and there was a throwing lane. Nothing but grass around Reed. The blocking was there. If RGIII was that worried about a defender he should have waved Reed off - he did not do that. 

Holding Reeds guy out of bounds? Naw, you held on to the rock too long. Like way too long. I think he should've manned upped and just taken the flak on that one and not tossed his dude under the bus. The first guy who touched Robert came from the center of the field - he was nowhere near Reed on that play ever. The guy Reed released was #24 and that guy was picked by Tyler. Again, nowhere near the sideline.

Getting very hard to separate the social media diva Griffin from the football player. I'm going to stop watching any video or reading articles where he is interviewed, I will however read articles written about his on field performances. Most of what Griffin says could be put on tv in the afternoon after ''The Days of Our Lives''...total soap opera stuff. From his feud and pouting with the Shanahans last year I thought this stuff was over, but I see now he's just a magnet for attention. I always felt a little bad for teams who had divas on the roster now Griffin has morphed into one. Can't open the newspaper's sports section without seeing articles about him putting his foot in his mouth. Now, the fact he's our qb makes me support him but at the same time I will criticize his antics. 3 first rd and 1 second rd picks for the guy with 2 total knee rebuilds and a prima donna attitude....so not worth it without a Super Bowl. Maybe this will be the last time that Dan Snyder over rules his coaches and scouts to get a player that he fancies. Anybody remember that Shanahan didn't want to give away so many picks when we had so many needs? He wanted Tannehill and Snyder in his non-football acumen wanted the flashier pick for a variety of reasons, one being marketing. Griffin helped us win a nfc east title through some clever coaching by the Shanahans but if they had made him play a more pro style pocket passer style then that title may have never come. Griffin is turning out to be his own worst enemy.

Had to get it off my chest...rambled a bit, feel slightly better but not much. Hail To The Redskins!!

Archived