Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: NFL wants Super Bowl halftime acts to pay to perform at Super Bowl

MattFancy

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-wants-super-bowl-halftime-acts-to-pony-up-cash-for-the-privilege-of--exposure-180802404.html?_devicefull

The NFL doesn't pay musical acts to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show, and it's not hard to see why: with a worldwide audience numbering in the nine figures, halftime acts enjoy an almost immediate bump in sales and touring revenue.

Now, at last, the NFL is apparently going in the complete opposite direction, asking musical acts to pay for the privilege of playing the halftime show.

Per a new Wall Street Journal report, the NFL has apparently narrowed the list of potential halftime performers to three: Coldplay, Katy Perry and Rihanna. From there, negotiations are getting a little sticky, according to the WSJ: "While notifying the artists' camps of their candidacy, league representatives also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig."

Ah the NFL, where the motto of the owners is "cash rules everything around me".

It's funny that we all thought Mark Cuban was crazy for his comments about the NFL a few months ago.

But then I read stuff like this, think about the 28 defensive holding calls in Monday's game, and start realizing that the NFL really is getting to be more and more unwatchable and more arrogant at the same time.

It's funny that we all thought Mark Cuban was crazy for his comments about the NFL a few months ago.

But then I read stuff like this, think about the 28 defensive holding calls in Monday's game, and start realizing that the NFL really is getting to be more and more unwatchable and more arrogant at the same time.

I thought Cuban was on to something. Thought it 10 years was a little too soon, but the NFL is getting too big for itself. Why would an artist want to pay the league to perform at halftime? Sure the exposure is nice, but you can argue some people watch the game for the halftime show.

The NFL is clearly all about making money any way they can. Yes, I can they are a business, but this is just ridiculous.

There was an article not too long ago about the host city for the SBs and the NFLs demands (which i thought were absurd and many). Pretty poor form on thier part.

This is ridiculous.  The level of acts that the Superbowl attracts don't really need the publicity bump.  Sure, it's kind of cool to play at the Superbowl, but these guys have filled lots of stadiums before. 

I'd absolutely turn down any revenue sharing.  It's hardly like the Superbowl is "making" them a star.

This is ridiculous.  The level of acts that the Superbowl attracts don't really need the publicity bump.  Sure, it's kind of cool to play at the Superbowl, but these guys have filled lots of stadiums before. 

I'd absolutely turn down any revenue sharing.  It's hardly like the Superbowl is "making" them a star.

Agreed. I could understand it if it was an upcoming artist or band. But Coldplay, Rihanna and Katy Perry are pretty well established acts throughout the world. Why would they want to share future revenue with the NFL?

Basically, the NFL wants complete control of everything. What the performers wear, what they sing and the money they make. Why would someone agree to that?

Well either this works and acts decide it's worth the price to pay for bump in sales and such,or it ends up being a case of biting one of the hands that helps feed them. Tough to say,but I think this is one time where the NFL's greedy image is going to get a boost. :)

Isn't the poor quality of Super Bowl halftime shows the very reason that the Lingerie Football League got started in the first place?

EDIT: Besides, at every Super Bowl party I've been to in the past 3-4 years, the girls have demanded that we watch the Puppy Bowl at halftime.

Archived